IBD Diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am very new to IBD thinking i had IBS for 4 years now, so i am very confused and of course worried about this.

I had a colonoscopy two days back to rule out IBS. My symptoms are:

1. acid reflux mainly

2. Intestinal gas

3. fatigue every now and then.

No classic symptoms of Crohons.

So while I was worried about the enscopy, the colonoscopy came out with aphtous ulcers in TI. Diagnosis: ileitis terminalis and opl proctitis.

Dr came and told me its good we did it those are the findings and they are mild, but i took a biopsy to rule our crohons, which was completly unexpected. 

She called the day after saying the biopsies came back positive for inflamation. So i asked do i have Crohns? She said you will have to do stool test again, first one found no blood. Blood tests although i did literally all kind of blood tests recently to find the source of my fatigue that turned out all ok and no anemia or  inflamations, And she also ordered an MRI. She said ur chances of Crohns is 20% i dont get it. I read everywhere that any inflamation means IBD right?

Now my questions, shouldnt a biopsy from a colonscopy rule out ibd? Do i have to do all the other tests just to come back to the same result? 

Please help me understand ive spent the last days reading but got no where sad

Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

They might do a pill cam to check your small bowel as that’s where most people have Crohn’s disease. 

Please don’t worry, it’s manageble , you’ll start to feel better now you’re diagnosed and they can treat you. My mum was so poorly with it but has now been in remission for 20 odd years. You’ll be looked after and they’ve found it early . You never know , it’s probably clear of crohns, if it’s not then trust you’ll be ok xxx 

Good luck 😉 

• Posted

Hi Hann84, there is a another condition called Ulcertive Colits it's other diease inflamtion. Asked your consultant art it. 

• Posted

Hello,

Yea in most cases a biopsy would give them a diagnosis or signs as to what it could be. But it depends whether it's crohns or colitis because the area where the biopsy was taken might not be as bad as other areas. For example they first knew something was up with me because an x-ray showed my bowel was very enlarged. So the different tests could show up different things and there may be something in other parts of your body that could be off and these tests will help see that smile atb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.