Ibruprofen and Tramadol

Posted , 11 users are following.

Is it safe to take Ibruprofen and Tramadol together?

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Mr Flintstone,

Thanks for the welcome!

I would normally take all three at the same time when needed but I have no history of stomach problems. For you, it might be better to take the tramadol and paracetamol at the same time and then after an hour or two take some ibuprofen - if you still need it. This little gap between doses might give your stomach some time to 'recover' slightly?

I have only been advised about a positive interaction between tramadol and paracetamol, not ibuprofen. What I mean by this is, you only need to take tramadol and paracetamol at the same time to get the improved pain relief. Adding ibuprofen might give some extra relief but only by acting on its own and not by combining itself with the tramadol like paracetamol does.

Basically:

Tramadol + Ibuprofen = Tramadol + Ibuprofen

Tramadol + Paracetamol = Super Tramadol!

Tramadol + Ibuprofen + Paracetamol = Super Tramadol + Ibuprofen

Hope that makes sense!? Really difficult to explain and I don't want to confuse anyone who might be 'self-medicating'. Obviously anyone who is unsure should talk to their GP.

Have you taken much ibuprofen since your stomach problems began? If not, I would skip the ibuprofen altogether and just take paracetamol and tramadol. You wouldn't want the tramadol to cover up any stomach pains caused by the side-effects of ibuprofen!

I would also talk to your GP about ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like diclofenac (voltatol) etc. Ask whether the stomach/liver related side-effects of these drugs is more risky considering your medical history. At least then you know if ibuprofen is ever going to be a suitable drug for you.

Until this morning, when I changed to a stronger pain killer, I would ALWAYS take paracetamol with my tramadol. Its just more effective that way but when you start feeling that you need to take something like ibuprofen on top of that, for sustained periods of time, that's when you need to go back to the GP and ask for something stronger!

Wow! Another long post! Hope it helps smile

Nick

• Posted

Thank you for this information Nick - it has been extremely helpful.  My husband has just had a hip replacement - he's relatively young for this kind of operation and as a result the muscle pain is quite intense!  We needed to know whether or not he could combine the Tramadol with paracetamol and ibuprofen as none were sufficient on their own.  THANKS AGAIN!

Jools

• Posted

Oh and I was taking 1000mg of Paracetamol with 100mg of Tramadol four times a day.
  • Posted

When you mentioned anti-inflammatory drugs it then remembered me that I had an anti-inflammatory injection for coccyx pain just more than a year ago, and it was around 2 weeks later that I had stomach pain and severe nausea, this lasted for quite some time, and I have a strange feeling it was this that caused my initial problems, oh and that as well as Gall stones.

It's about 7 weeks since I had my gall bladder removed, and only now am I getting some pain relief, at the right hand shoulder blade area, I still get little feelings, but no so that I need to lie down, and lying down would often help the pain.

I have also read with interest that people with Barrett's and or stomach issues shouldn't really have these type of injections, especially the blind ones as if it isn't done right a clot can form, and that is why an x-ray should be performed to be used as guidance.

• Posted

In that case, if I were you I'd stay away from ibuprofen etc. until you can discuss it properly with your GP.

A member of my family took ibuprofen for too long and now can't touch the stuff, it really messed their digestive system up!

I hope you find some relief soon! I know how difficult it can be getting the right pain meds sorted so good luck!

Nick

• Posted

I can't take Ibuprofen it's side effects give me Stomach Ulcers smile
  • Posted

I have 2 benign stomach polyps, so I think I will stay away from the ibuprofen :-)
  • Posted

Just noticed that I made a typo, the subject description should have read as Ibuprofen & Tramadol.
  • Posted

Paracetamol with Tramadol definitely works well - have also done the 1000mg of Paracetamol with 100mg of Tramadol thing, for a few weeks after surgery. Again, I can't take the anti-inflammatories as have a 'volcanic' stomach. There is a drug called Tramacet which is combined paracetamol and tramadol but with a lower tramadol dose.
  • Posted

I'm 17 and not exactly a big person.i broke my femur in an accident and have been prescribed so many different drugs like solpadol and iboprofen, naproxen, also some Paracletamol and codine. The codine and paracetamol was not successful which is when I was perscibed with the others, which where also unsuccessful. So my doctor then perscibed me with tremadol But they were ify about giving me tramadol because of my age and my size, but did anyway. However I was unsure on taking it but I have took it and still in a lot of pain so would you advise me taking iboprofen with it? Sorry about this its just my next appointment isn't for another 2 weeks and I don't think I could manage that long with this pain. Thankyou smile
  • Posted

Hi Boo, if you are still having a lot of pain you could try taking paracetamol with the Tramadol - they do seem to work quite well together, for some reason the paracetamol seems to help the Tramadol work more efficiently sometimes. You could also try ringing a pharamacy as they should be able to advise you if you can't get back to see your doctor sooner. Also, some drugs do take a bit longer to start working than others so do give it a try for a few days.

Good luck and I hope you are in less pain soon x

• Posted

Thanks ill try that smile x
  • Posted

One of my children was prescribed ibuprofen in an Australian public hospital for pain and suffered severe hallucinogenic character altering effects that lasted months.
  • Posted

Hi

I have just been prescribed 50mg tramadol four times a day for endometriosis pain and it hasn't haloes, will try it with paracetamol now thanx :-) if that doesn't work I will add ibuprofen too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.