IBS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

Starting 4-5 months ago, I have been plagued with horrible stomach pains. One night I had a fever and went to bed, I awoke early in the morning feeling poorly, by 7 AM the pain escalated to unbearable levels. I have never felt such a pain in my life, I was unable to move and get medicine. I felt like I had a horrible case of dirreaha, yet no stool was coming out. I strained and strained, but the more I strained the worse it got. My body was shaking from the effort and I was getting hot and cold flashes.

Eventually, I was able to call for help and go to the doctor... This horrible pain would not let up for a week. My stomach was constantly squirming and rumbling, I could not sleep, I could barely eat, and the act of sitting down was nearly impossible. I would pace around the house, only able to get some pain relief from walking.

Since that first flare up, I would have a wide range of symptoms and other flares up. I have been tested for most things and have had multiple tests run. I had an ultrasound, CAT scan, blood tests, stool tests, and colonoscopy. Only three things of relelvance have been found, I read positive for some type of imflammation, my stomach had some minor bleeding (I am taking medicine to treat it), and there was blood in my urine which could suggest Endometriosis.

My symptoms vary. My flares ups are the most debalitating. I have had 8 since the start of this, only 3 have contained dirreaha. The others felt the same way but contained no change in bowel. They are unbearable, and the act of relieving myself furthers my pain. I feel much better pinching my cheeks and pacing, than if I were to go to the bathroom. I have been taken to the ER because of the pain, yet they are unable to do anything. In my most recent flare up, I took multiple medications, all of whom were unable to stop the pain.

In the long run, when the flare ups are not an issue, I am constantly having stomach troubles. My stool is always soft, sticky, and horribly smelling. It isn't dirrreaha, but it isn't regular stool either. My lower right side of the abdomen spasms periodically, I feel it twitch and spasming especially after major episodes. I have lost over 20 pounds and have trouble eating. Not only this, but I constantly eat, I eat 5-6 meals a day and I am unable to put on any weight. I am constantly drained and dizzy when I rise to my feet. I am awoken in the night because of the pain. Ocassionally, I find blood in stool, othertimes mucus, undigested foods, and or fat.

Since the start of this, I have gone to two GI. The first, diagnosed me with FAPS and told me "Deal with it". The second and most recent, has diagnosed me with IBS-D.

I am not sure what to make of the diagnosis. It doesn't make logical sense to me. From the start of this, my general doctor has been treating this as if were IBS as we run the tests. So I have done the LOW FODMAP diet, which helped some but has done little to stop my flare ups. I have cut out dairy and gluten, my meals are also much more balanced. I have no stress in my life whatsoever. In fact, my flares come out of the blue. I also have tried acupuncture and relaxation techniques all of which improved my mental state but have done nothing for the pain. I am constantly taking ant-spasm medication to control my pain. I keep a food journal and I exercise multiple times a day.

I am running out of options and I am starting to become depressed. When it flares, the pain is indescribable... All over my lower abdommen... I cannot sit still.... In fact I writhe. I know my mental state has a lot to do with the matter, and I remain calm, I try to coach myself like I am a kid again. But after hours of this pain, where my body is shaking with exhaustion, it starts to look gloomy. I have tried breathing exercises, I have even tried massaging my stomach, and using steam (heat). None help. And that is what is the most frustrating. I keep getting told the pain is not real, that I need to get over it, yet no matter what I do to care for myself and fix the problem, I cannot control this unbearable pain.

Not only has it impacted my life, but it is ruining it. I try my best, don't think I'm controlled by it. But I am sick so often, I am unable to do my schooling. I can barely leave the house on most days. When I feel well, I jump on it and go out and try to catch up on my activities. I like to live in the moment, that is the only reason I have gotten through it thus far. It is just horrendous when the moment is almost always painfull. I really would like to feel somewhat better again.

Do any of you guys have any ideas of what this is? Is IBS so crippling?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.