IBS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've never been diagnosed with IBS. I've never had an issue with bowel movements or anything. Recently I was diagnosed with gastritis because of pain under right rib and tenderness. I've had a CBC, a liver and kidney functions test, a hep panel, I asked for my pancreas to be tested (I have anxiety), a d dimer, X-rays of chest and upper back and a urinalysis, all which came back normal. I know it was a bad decision but I wanted Chinese for dinner, so that's what we bought. After eating, chicken lo mein, I started having mild stomach pain and lower abdominal cramping. I went to the bathroom and felt much better after that but it was pretty much watered diarrhea. The super weird thing though was that there was mild burning, sorry TMI. I'm 26 btw. I don't have a very great diet but since the gastritis I've been trying to eat better, tonight was my slip up LOL. Could this be IBS or possibly the gastritis? I know we aren't doctors on this forum but no harm in asking. Thanks! 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your flare up is likely to have been gastritis since that it what you have been diagnosed with.  Anything rich, spicy or fatty can trigger symptoms..  However, since you had diarrhoea, this may suggest IBS.  It is possible you have both conditions.  However, you will need your doctor to verify whether or not you have IBS.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, thanks for your reply! Do you happen to know how IBS is diagnosed? 
    • Posted

Most of the time it is diagnosed by eliminating other causes first with tests.  This can take a long time. If all your tests came back clear, IBS can be diagnosed.  Sometimes, it is identified from your symptoms alone.
  • Posted

Sounds like gastritis and some dodgy Chinese lol
  • Posted

Sounds as if it could be ibs.

I went out for a lovely meal with some friends last week.

Had sausages, bubble and squeak, some nice fresh vegetables and a strawberry ice cream. I also had a large glass of red wine (Shiraz).

Nothing out of the ordinary you would think, but I had bad diarrhoea afterwards.

Same thing happened on Sunday. Went for lunch with some friends had roast lamb and veg and a bowl of trifle. Again I had a small glass of red wine.

It is frustrating feeling you can't go anywhere for a meal with friends.

Hope this settles down for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Sarah! I'm going to mention something to my doc and see what she says. I hope yours settles down for you as well!! 

• Posted

Hmmmm there is a test you did not mentioned -- endoscopy.  I'm wondering how you received a diagnosis without having doc scope your stomach, since gastritis is an inflammation that needs treatment. 

The burning sensation can be a tell tail sign.  I was mis-diagnosed with IBS which seems to be an umbrella word without much meaning since docs don't seem to know how to treat it or why is occurs -- they mention try low FODMAP diet, more fiber, and lowering stress.  None of that worked for me ,in fact the diet made my diarrhea worse.

I was diagnosed with IBS even after having both a colonoscopy and endoscopy show normal results.  But I told my gastro that I felt heat and burning below my navel above my public area from hip to hip and when I have a bm, feels like my anus has been hit with a blow torch.  That's bile.  Doc didn't seem to pay attention to that symptom and just said he never heard that complaint but he didn't investigate further --  told me to add fiber and take MiraLax if constipated. 

So I did my own research (always iffy) -- came to the conclusion that I wanted to rule out what is known as BAM -- bile acid mal absorption since (I have no gall bladder) and I read that 1 in 3 people are misdiagnosed with IBS when they actually have BAM.  With BAM too much bile pours into the intestines and then into the colon causing a watery burning bm.  I now take medication for that condition and no more burn and no more diarrhea but I had to twist the docs arm to give me a script for Questran (generic). 

Very few docs are familiar with BAM and many of the symptoms are very similar.  I've joined two IBS forums and 2 BAM forums and the people are complaining about almost the same symptoms except the burn of BAM.   Many with BAM also complain of acid reflux -- bile and stomach acid backing up into their throat.

My suggestion, to rule out any underlying conditions that you may have, is that you should consider having an endoscopy.  

It's so difficult to actually pin down and then treat IBS or BAMs.  It's like trial and error.  It might also be anxiety caused by additional stress which leads to anxiety, depression and weird things happening in your body.

Good luck -- my best wishes go out to you.

• Posted

Hi Frazzled, thank you for your reply! It’s funny that you mention the endoscopy because reading about gastritis I saw that people were diagnosed that way.  So I too am wondering how she knows it’s gastritis. When I went to see my GP she did a liver exam and pressed on my right side, which was tender and that’s when she said gastritis. She prescribed me Zantac, well told me to buy some LOL. I take it twice a day. I go back to see her the 17th. I just had an abdominal ultrasound done and all results came back normal. So I do believe that I will be asking for an endoscopy this next time around. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.