ibs

Posted , 6 users are following.

In the last 10 months every day burp 70 times,with stomach cramps and flatulence and insomnia. I made gastro colonoscopy testing, but no results.  Does anyone know how to treat hospital ibs (irritable bowel syndrome)?   I tried all the (change) diet, nothing helps.....

Has anyone similar experiences, greetings from Croatia

Zao

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Zao - That is really frustrating! The insomnia makes it all worse, I'm sure. I'm not sure what hospital ibs is - is that a different type of ibs? But, if you have belching and stomach pains, a colonoscopy won't show those areas of your body, just the lowest parts of your digestive system.  I'm glad there wasn't a problem there!

It sounds like your gas starts in the stomach and works its way up and down. There are medications for acid reflux if that's what you have. There are also enzymes you can take. Your body may not make enough to break down the foods you eat, regardless of dietary changes. Probiotics seem to help many IBS sufferers, too. 

I think you should meet with your GI doctor again (or another one) and see about alleviating your symptoms by helping your body digest and process food. 

I hope that helps! Greetings from the U.S.!

• Posted

Avelline, thanks for your reply,

when I wrote that I did (full) gastroscopy and colonoscopy, this meant how these tests have not found the cause of my problems,

And then when doctors do not know what to do, they just say; you have irritable bowel syndrome (ibs)...

My only hope is to find a better doctor,or suitable clinic somewhere on this planet, maybe this forum will be helpful

• Posted

lynn wrote about apple cider vinegar. I haven't tried that but she's correct in saying that acid reflux is actually too little acid in the stomach and not too much. Good advice to bypass your teeth with a straw so the acid isn't eroding dental enamel...(you could also probably swish water around and spit it out after to be sure there's not extra acid on your teeth)

Okay, that makes more sense, that you also had endoscopy.  It's good news that there's not a more serious problem.  IBS is real enough, though and it's a crummy diagnosis because there's not just one "cure" or medication that will control it.  You'll have to experiment on your own, too, and see what works for you.

Try to work in relaxation in whatever form helps you - yoga, meditation, exercise, being with friends, babies, animals...shopping, day trips - whatever makes you relax and feel better emotionally will also help you physically with your IBS.  

I dislike allergists for the same frustrations you feel with GI doctors. They tell you that you have the disorder but there are no black-and-white answers for what will exactly help YOU.  Everyone is different but your doctor should be your partner in your trial-and-error journey to get well.

My GI doc is testing me for celiac disease (my son has it although he had zero GI symptoms except stomach pain, but he had pain everywhere, too). He told me if it's not that, he'll treat my IBS as gut "dysbiosis" and prescribe antibiotics with probiotics. (I never take antibiotics, but in this case I'm not worried since it makes sense to me)  All this from my first visit and it made me wonder why I never saw a GI doc before, just lived with the issues and did what I could at home! But, I feel like he's going to help me along the way and I like that he told me what he'd do next if it's not Celiac (and I really hope it's not!).  

When my GP diagnosed me in the 1990s, he prescribed an antispasmodic which I took only briefly and a very bland and unhealthy white diet which I couldn't live with... I dumped my toxic boyfriend and later changed jobs, and it nearly ended my IBS symptoms!  Doctors don't seem to recommend much beyond diet and medicine, but IBS has all kinds of causes and triggers, doesn't it?!?

Good luck! smile

• Posted

Most doctors would tell you that your acid is too strong - so that is the reason for irritate the throat and lungs....(but how can we be sure while did not try on own skin).

But, tell me about celiac disease, I've also done this test amd my doctors said that is a good indication that I have NOT celiac disease fact that is my fringes thin intetstine are well-developed and appropriate high and wide. 

So whether have you a similar experience,with similar medical opinion?

• Posted

I should say that acid reflux MAY be caused by not enough acid/enzymes. There are different causes for stomach gas/pains. I saw your response that you have ulcerative colitis. sad  I'm sorry - that's probably awful pain.

I'm glad you do not have Celiac Disease (Coeliac in the UK, we Americans change so many English spellings)! It's an auto-immune disease which means the body attacks itself. The small intestines are lined with villi and those little projections are how we digest and obtain nutrients from food/beverages. It's also where lactase is produced to break down lactose in dairy products like milk.  When those are damaged, there are complications throughout your body.  My son suffered awful fatigue, joint pain, headaches...while others have mouth ulcers, dental problems (he has some, too - a baby tooth never popped up and now his permanent teeth are growing into that space), even mental problems from forgetfulness to severe depression.  And, autoimmune diseases tend to go together. If you have one, you have a greater risk for others. Juvenile diabetes, thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren's syndrome, and more.  So, be glad this isn't happening inside your body! 

So, the doctors have diagnosed two issues and ruled out others. They have a pretty clear picture of what's happening inside of you, but what else can they do to help you and treat you???  That's what should be next for them. Especially since your symptoms were better controlled for years and now returning. 

Sometimes these changes are due to age, weight and activity level. If you're getting older and "slowing down" then the muscles in your body that keep stomach liquids down in the stomach where they belong may start to relax and the acids come up. I don't know if this is what's happening in your case, but your dr. should be giving you advice and if something isn't working then together you move on to other cause/effect suggestions.  I even mentioned stress and personal causes. You'll know that one better than any doctor or any of us "internet strangers". 

Many of us have your symptoms and frustration. Some have figured out what helps us either fully or partially. Some are new and still working on it... You're not in this alone!

• Posted

Hi,

I dont know if you've ever watched 24hrs in A & E on tv, but there was a man with exactly your symptoms on there 5 or 6wks ago. his condition was called sibo - small intestine bacterial overgrowth, in particular he could not stop belching & his stomach was very bloated. if you look up sibo, there is a test you can have to diagnose it, & i think he got treated with antibiotics. hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello Zao

I have had acid reflux for years because of food that I ate too fast or just from not following a healthier diet. I learned my lesson about eating less sweets, more veggies, more good food for my diet and enough fiber and water to have a good digestive system. The best HOME REMEDY IS TO TRY ORGANIC APPLE CIDAR VINEGAR. IT MUST HAVE THE MOTHER IN IT, CHECK THE INGREDIENTS AT THE HEALTH FOOD STORE. APPLE CIDEAR VINEGAR HELPS BALANCE OUT YOUR ACID THAT YOU NEED TO DIGEST FOOD PROPERLY. I FIND THE BRAGGS BRAND OF APPLE CIDAR VINEGAR WORKS THE BEST. MIX ONE TEASPOON OF APPLE CIDAR VINEGAR INTO 8 OUNCHES OF WATER. STIR, DRINK SLOWLY WITH A STRAW AS NOT TO HAVE YOUR TEETH STAINED ETC. DRINK IT AFTER LUNCH AND AFTER SUPPER FOR A FEW DAYS AND SEE HOW YOUR FEEL. YOU MAY DRINK LESS UNTIL YOU GET USE TO IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T TASTE THAT GREAT. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY, THE THINGS THAT TASTE AWFUL ARE THE THINGS THAT WORK.

You must be able to digest your food properly and if you do not have enough acid in your digestive system to break down the food and digest it properly, you will have lots of burps, heartburn, indigestion problems. Some people think they have too much acid when in reality THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ACID TO BREAK DOWN THE FOOD.

Again, try this home remedy and see how it works. Let me know how it goes.Good Luck and don't drink too much, start out slow to let it work.

• Posted

Dear Lynn, THANKS FOR ADVICE,

but, do you know for some medical test how strong gastric acid really is?

Because what if I have it too pronounced gastric acid

• Posted

Zaovlao, if you have reflux acid then you food is not digesting properly and the acid will come back up in the back of your throat and you will get a buring feeling. That is not good for your esophagus as well to always have you undigested food burning come up the back of your throat.

AGAIN, YOU DO NOT HAVE TOO MUCH ACID, YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ACID TO BREAK DOWN YOUR FOOD TO DIGEST IT PROPERLY.  I highly recommend Apple Cidar Vinegar. Google the following words into the search bar of your computer " Can Apple Cidar Vinegar help treat my Acid Reflux? You will find lots of people who are using this and it has helped them a lot. Again, good luck and I hope you try it and let me know how it goes.

Lynn

• Posted

Dear Lynn,

In 1993 I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, and since then I have much reduced use of vinegar in the diet - so 20 years I had no problems untill the last summer.when I began a sudden and dramatic burp. 

20 years ago I had a completely different problems compared to the present one, Ten I'm not burped, not flatulence and no big cramps, today I immediately signed to have old problems instead of these new.

• Posted

I too had UC some years ago, it used to cause blood and mucus in my stools, some pain and wind and a need to go to the toilet. At first I thought it had come back, with slightly different symptoms, but the colonoscopy said no.

So I too have IBS. And yes I get wind all through the digestive tract. Sometimes I get a kind of indigestion and burp, sometimes it's further down and I feel bloated and pass wind, and sometimes it's right at the end of my colon and then I get "swelling" and pain. I also get constipation a lot, which may well be because of the diet the doctor told me to try.

For me, the low Fodmap diet doesn't work entirely - for instance it says that cornflour is fine, but for me it's one of the worst things. But I have cut down/cut out a number of things and it isn't as bad as it was. I'm still trying to work out just what I can get away with, but it seems that some days are just worse than others. 

• Posted

Hi friend, ask your Dr for blood test for Coeliac Disease, an autoimmune disorder that  reacts to gluten. Load up on gluten at least a week before the blood test. Very important.

I experienced your symptoms and many more for many years... Very hard to diagnose and Drs aren't good at diagnosing it. You have to be very proactive. 

I finally got so sick, they gave me an endoscopy & biopsies taken from my duodenum revealed CD. Wish I had known abt the blood test!

Live long & prosper.

• Posted

Lately I noticed remains undigested food,

Is this proof that I have a weak stomach acid?

• Posted

Your food is obviously not digesting as good as it needs to. Are you eating a balanced diet, chewing your food well and not eating too quickly? Also have you tried the organic Apple Cicar Vinegar from the health food store, the Braggs brand. You could try to take it by mixing 1 teaspoon of apple cidear vinegar into 8 oz of luke warm water, stir and drink with a straw so it doesn't stain the teeth etc. You take it after lunch and after supper. Try it for a few days and see if it helps. You won't like the taste, but it works. Maybe start slow and just drink a few ounces to see how it works for you. You probably don't have enough acid to break down your food. Organic apple cidar vinegar will balance out the acid you need to break down the food.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.