Ibs & acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have ibs & now acid reflux with severe pain in stomach under  zyphoid process. I have anxiety which was under control now showing it's ugly head in the mornings. Dr put me on IBGUARD.  This has helped ibs some. But the pain is hard to deal with. I go for an EGD next week. I think anxiety & stomach irritation & ibs go together. Any advice for dealing with the pain?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You need to take antacids- I find liquid ones work best. You can also ask your doctor for omeprazole for a longer term option.
  • Posted

Julialeona,

As someone with both your symptoms I can attest to the link between these conditions with anxiety/mental state.  Causality is very hard to determine. I wish I had insight on pain relief. When I am disciplined with my diet, sleep and exercise I can manage my pain with only occasional use of pain killers.

My bias is to avoid strong medications when possible and seek help from a holistic physician who can advise you on foods, physical therapy and cognitive therapy options that fit your exact symptoms. I have found osteopaths to be more insightful in these areas. These are more long term solutions but there are many sufferers who have achieved more permanent relief with this approach.  

Of course, if you are young and your ibs and reflux are recent phenomenon, you may need only short term solutions.

All the best my friend. 

• Posted

Thanks y'all.  I'm assuming anxiety has been making my heart race & pound. It makes life tough. I've tried deep breathing from my abdomen. This helps some. But not enough. Does anything else work better?

• Posted

Maybe ask about gut targeted hypnosis which can help with your pain and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.