IBS affects one's whole life

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Everyone out there, I am a 71 year old woman and have suffered from attacks of IBS for the last 30 years, after a particularly bad stomach upset. Since then I have had frequent, early morning, sloppy bowel movements and awful wind. Going to work as a secretary was extremely worrying as my boss's routine was to call me in to his office for shorthand dictation for an hour, as soon as I got to work. In order to survive this, I made sure I visited the loo before leaving the house and took two teaspoonsful of Kaolin and Morphine mixture. This was my lifesaver and enabled me to live through the 'shorthand hour' without having to rush out to the loo. The kaolin solidifies the contents of the stomach and the morphine deals with the pain. Sadly, now owing to EU ruling this combination is no longer available. However, kaolin is still available from chemists. It's called Kaolin Mixture. Kaolin helps with diahhroea, but obviously may not be suitable for those who suffer constipation. Like many other people with IBS, my life has been one long embarrassment. I have a sensitive and nervous nature, which certainly makes symptoms worse. I have had sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy investigations. I cannot see that eating more fibre helps those with diahhroea. My GP told me to give up eating so much fruit and to eat white bread instead of wholemeal. This is not easy as I have always tried to eat a 'healthy' diet. During a recent attack of IBS I also felt strong waves of nausea. Does anyone else suffer nausea with their IBS? Now retired, i try not to attend any social functions or evenings with friends. I still take my dose of Kaolin (in water) before say a visit to the dentist. My good wishes to everyone out there suffering with this embarrassing illness, especially the youngsters. Let's hope that medical science will one day discover the true cause of this mysterious illness.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello there

I was reallly interested to read your experience .... and also very sorry that IBS has blighted your life for so long.

My 25 year old daughter has suffered badly since her early teens, and it certainly makes her working life very difficult at times. She has been known to spend her entire lunch hour driving miles to and from home in order not to have the embarrassment of having to use the rather 'fllimsy' office loos. And she has also recently turned down a very good job offer in London because of the worry of being 'caught short' on the 45 minute train journey.

It's a really miserable, and at times humiliating illness and she too has undergone many unpleasant medical procedures.

I will certainly mention the kaolin mixture to her - I remember well the good old kaolin and morphine mixture ...... horrible, but it certainly worked!!

Hopefully one day they will come up with a treatment for IBS that really works.

• Posted

Katie, thank you for your reply. I fully empathise with your daughter. Like her, I used to drive home during my lunch hour in order to use my own loo, rather than the flimsy, quite public, office one.

Maybe in IBS sufferers there is a more complex interaction between brain and bowel. The stress of trying to live with it makes it worse.

Your daughter may wish to try the Kaolin. I think it seems a more natural substance than some of the 'over the counter' IBS remedies. The dosage is 2-4 5ml spoonfuls. (Teaspoons). I take on an empty stomach and always in a wineglass full of water.

Good wishes.

• Posted

Thanks Ballet Girl. Will certainly get my daughter to try the Kaolin.

I am sure you are right about the stress factor of IBS ..... it all becomes one horrible vicious circle.

Take care

• Posted

Yes, I also get nausea with diarrhoea attacks and gas. I think it's the gas that causes the nausea. Not eating can also make you nauseous.

You can get tablets from your doctor for nausea, which I have for emergencies and seem to do the trick. They work by blocking the signal to your brain (the 'vomit centre') that tells you to feel sick.

Peppermint tea or capsules can also help with the gas, and the nausea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.