IBS after gall bladder removed

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I had my gall bladder out 4 weeks ago today. I've been to see my gp today after having lots of issues since the surgery and she thinks because of the stress my body has been under recently I have either developed irritable bowel or it's been made worse.

Thankfully the infection I had seems to be clearing up but she said my recent scan and blood tests also showed fatty liver which worries me as I'm only 28.

Has anyone else developed IBS after surgery? I had issues with constipation before but not diarrhoea. Now I have episodes of constipation then diarrhoea, nausea, abdominal pain, mucous in stools and bloating. Is this actually IBS or just my body's way of adjusting.

My GP has suggested the fodmap diet and potentially cutting out gluten as options but this is so depressing to me as I seem to love all the foods that are high in fodmap.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi i too have ibs from having gallbladder removed  well thats what my doctors have told me it is  but bile acid malabsorption (BAM) is also same symptoms  just be carefull they dont fob you off saying its ibs  ask for all the test first to rule out a few things    if its bile acid malabsorption it could be that you have to much acid dripping into your stomach this causes loose bowels stomach cramps etc,   there are medication you can take for it which can help.( questran )  It can take time thou for everything to settle down after surgery   keep on low fat meals.    Im on the low fodmap diet and have cut out dairy, wheat, gluten   you can try slowly to reintroduce things back in to your diet after 6 weeks  for some people it works for others it dosnt   Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi Ashleigh

My husband was diagnosed with a fatty liver fifteen years ago. He has type 2 diabetes and a hiatus hernia but suffers no ill effects from the fatty liver. It was discovered on ultrasound. Lots of people have this. It is reversible through diet.

It could be that your body is still adjusting to not having a gallbladder. Some take longer than others to recover: we are all different. I would definitely avoid fatty or spicy foods. It is common for constipation to be followed by some bowel looseness anyway, even if you haven't had cholecystectomy. I would say your doctor is being cautious but caring. It's a case of trial and error with diet I'm afraid. I've moved completely to a whole food diet as fibre helps soak up the excess bile that could potentially be the cause of digestive problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.