IBS and acid reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had all the symptoms of IBS for 10 years but only just been 'diagnosed' after seeing a new GP. I finally feel as though it isn't all in my mind. I have had a look at the FODMAP diet but some of the foods recommended for IBS will cause my reflux to kick in.  Has anyone got any advice please, I am waiting to see a dietician but in the meantime I am still sufferingsad

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Labmomma,

i am sorry u have have been suffering so long. Acid reflex is so painful and just aggravating. IBS is horrible...

i have been thru dr who have missed serious diagnosis for years.

once u get on track then healing begins.

hope u r getting better care and meds. A diatician is a huge help....

Have u thought about smoothies..online many receipes online for IBS helps. Stay away from greasy and acid foods..I find sugars and dairy,eggs, carbs really set off my IBS.

i also sleep wiith my head above my stomach gravity at work .

get better soon. Stay in touch..

HOPE

• Posted

Hi,  Glad you have got a diagnosis.  I have IBS and also slight reflux.  It is really a matter of trial and error.  No one size fits all.  Those with constipation can do well on high fibre diet, others it causes wind and loose stools.  You will know the foods which will upset your reflux so you can avoid those.  There are common triggers for IBS tomatoes,fried food, fatty rich food and chocolate.  Some people find it is not food at all but stress which is the trigger.  I would research as much as you 

can. There are books you can buy, but really it is what suits you.  Also remember you can have ibs flare ups at times for which you can find no reason.  Good luck

and hope the dietician can help you as well.

• Posted

Hello Labmomma. I just this minute wrote this email to Barb on Mutley's post:

I too put probiotics (50 billion) in my morning smoothie. And I take what Maurice recommended, the L glutamine to protect the walls of the bowel. But honestly, the magnesium citrate is what really works like a charm. And the apple cider vinegar...amazing! As you recommended, I take it before usually one meal...dinner and I no longer eat those antacids. It's been a week and I can't believe that all the bloating and discomfort and burning esophagus has disappeared. Thanks! 

• Posted

Hi robin, had a very interesting experience following emergency surgery for hernias one which had obstructed. I have suffered with bloating and belching (violent and non stop for days). During my op I was fitted with a gastric nasal tube into my stomach. During my recovery I was monitoring the contents of the NG bag. It was a nice amber coloured liquid. My tummy was bloated but no belching or reflux.Then one morning 2 days after my operation I noticed a small amount of bile in the NG bag. I immediately started feeling ill and then started producing excess gas. The pain started building in my tummy. The bag itself wasn't blown up but the pain became unbearable. I'd had a similar episode in hospital the year previous so new what to do. I ask the nurses to apply suction with a syringe to my NG tube. They did this and the pain eased immediately. All they drew off was a small amount of bile. This happened again 10 min later and when I ask them to repeat the suction with the syringe they refused saying that nothing had come out the first time. By now the pain was so bad I started to swear ( couldn't help myself). They reluctantly applied the syringe and drew off about 2 cc's of bile. This gave immediate relief of pain. In the past I've controlled these episodes using digestive enzymes with betaine hcl. On occasion when it got out of control Zantac helped to calm it down. I had a good think about what had happened and here are my thoughts. I was on pain relief for my op.( very constipating. ) my tummy was bloated. I think that the pressure in my bowels eventually overcame the lower sphincter of my stomach and allowed bile to enter my stomach. At this point there was a reaction that caused the buildup of gas.  I thought perhaps that is why the Zantac helps it stops the stomach acid which is causeing the reaction with the bile. Half hour later the pressure started to build again. I ask for a Zantac and it worked. Now I think that perhaps my episodes in the past are linked to getting constipated. When I was released from hospital I used a plain water enema and had a good clear out. I,ve worked to keep my bowels clear and it appears to be working. I am avoiding fatty food and nightshade food. I have HH and just started sleeping flat on my side with head 35cm above my feet no pillow. This has stopped the reflux and my heavy snoring.(sleep apnoea). 
  • Posted

...forgot to clarify...the magnesium citrate (2 tabs) at bedtime is what keeps me regular. No agonizing cramps. It is really worth a go. It works like a charm every morning like clockwork...all done within 10 seconds! Woah!
  • Posted

Avoid the foods that will cause reflux while trying to stick to fodmaps diet? (I know this could be easier said than done if you have a lot of foods which trigger reflux.) I know it's tough so I sympathise with you. It involves a lot of changes that is a lot to take on.

I hope you work it all out,

anonymousgirl x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.