Ibs and antibiotics??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have severe IBS post diverticulitis.After 5 months of severe pain everywhere it finally got better for 3 weeks.I was recently on Biaxin for sinus infection but only took it 3 times because the pain started all over again.im back to not being able to eat due to severe pain from sternum to pelvic...everywhere!!Nausea too.

Can antibiotics cause havoc again?

I was told biaxin is a bad one for GI upset and recently put on ceftin now and told its much better..Anyone have these problems w meds?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know that antibiotics may cause IBS because it kills the good bacteria and has bad bacteria that will infect your stomach and intestine. 

Im not sure if u are taking antibiotics for IBS or taking antibiotics for other reasons but i know that antibiotic is very bad for your stomach and usually people take antibiotic with Probiotics because it replaces the killed bacteria with other billions of good bacteria, helps ur digestive system get back on track and kill infections.

I would suggest you try probiotics in low dosage such as 1 billion per capsule.

• Posted

Thanks!!I was on it for sinus and ear infection but only took two days until the pain started..now i was given something else.Its a double edge sword because the pressure in my head and neck pain and dizziness is bad and has been 2 weeks.I cant live w it anymore but then i hurt the stomach possibly w the new meds.I do take ultima flora 15 billion every day for months now.I have upper pain now too after eating and it shoots to my back.The nausea is the worst!!Im not sure if that is the sinus or stomach pain causing it..I feel terrible!I was just told i have one gallstone too so a whole lot going on...Feel so sick everywhere
  • Posted

Yes. Indeed antibiotics can create imbalance in your intestinal flora. I was suffering 2 years from severe pain, 3 CT scans, tumor markers, and 2 MRIs... No answer. All the stool samples came clear too. Only after doing endoscopy and colonoscopy did my troubles go away. And to be completely honest what I believe helped was the prep that completely cleared my gastrointestinal symptoms. I was also given controloc (check US name) since I actually travelled from the US to Europe to have the two procedures done, as I could no longer find any answers....
    • Posted

hi ivana

I too have had a course of antibiotics which has left me with so many severe stomache issues. above belly button like a sausage is stuck, acid reflux gurgling etc etc. it has been 6 weeks since stopping but still bad. today nausea. even water floats and irritates me. Are u better and how long did it take. my husband's name is Ivan. interesting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.