IBS and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello!  After some advice! I have been told I have stress related IBS! I've had a flex sigmoidoscopy and adominal ct scan all came back clear! My main problem is I never feel empty! Take this morning for instance I have already been for 4 bowel movements and it's only 12pm! Started off 'normal' then each one is getting looser, I started off today feeling ok! But after the 3rd trip to the loo my anxiety creeps in the stomach noises/rumbles happen I have horrid cold shivery feelings all over, I have to go again! This time more looser, I know my anxiety isn't helping but it's the amount times I have to go that make me anxious! This morning when I woke I felt absolutely ok!??  And now I feel like I can take leave the house as I'm honestly stuck to the loo, each time I get off I immediately feel in need to go again!!  Does anyone else suffer like this and if so how do you control your anxiety?  / stop needing the loo! Xx

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like you’re having a gruesome day, but I totally agree with Pippa that Immodium wil ( sooner or later) settle things down. Prior to my diagnosis with IBS I was very similar to you. It had reached the point where I was afraid to go out of the house in case I needed the loo urgently. My GP recommended a combination of Immodium and the Low Fodmap diet - and that has brought about a massive improvement. 2 years on I do still get occasional flare ups but I know things will improve so my anxiety and strss levels don’t get out of control. 

It is worth trying the Low Fodmap diet, if you haven’t already, and maybe see your GP about treatment to help deal with anxiety? Of course, you might have a tummy bug - there are lots around at the moment, and sometimes we just assume it’s an IBS problem when actually it’s a bug. Keep hydrated, and I hope you’re feeling better soon. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan ! Ha awful day, for what is supposed to be relaxing day at home! I don't think it's a bug, I had that a few weeks ago and today in myself I don't feel poorly just extremely anxious ( shivery, cold, worried!!)   Won't my body get used to Imodium if I take it regularly? And then not work? I appreciate I only take it days I need to, but I constantly worry if I take it what if my body gets used to it and then won't work!! Like antibiotocsni suppose!!  I'm already on anti depressants have been for 18months, they don't seem to work when I get anxious like today but have helped me for other days! Over the past 18months I've been altering my diet to try and find triggers, milk and cream is one so I avoid them! Maybe the low fodmap I should do I do have a book on it as I was going to try it a year ago!!  Xx

• Posted

That is what used to happen to me nearly all the time. It still does from time to time, but not so often.

I used to have to get up 2-3 hours earlier if I needed to be somewhere so I could fit in all the toilet trips to 'empty' myself out. It was so frustrating and I envied my partner who could just go in and out within 5 minutes and be done until the evening. 

Here are few pointers that may be useful. 

1. Speak to the Dr about biofeedback loops. The body has a system for eliminating stools and we sometimes over complicate it. I once got so mad with what was happening and angry I was letting it rule my life that one day I went to the toilet once and just left the house in a mood. I actually didn't need to go again straight away and although I felt uncomfortable, I managed a few hours without having to dash off to the toilet. I've used this 'inner-strength' (or anger! LOL) a few times and it seems to work. This was the first step in me creating new feedback loops. I've since spoken to a Dr about it and researched it to get more information. 

2. Keep a food diary. I've had to reshuffle my eating habits a little. I went heavily plant-based and cut out all meats, which naturally increased my fibre. This didn't agree with my stomach and IBS so I've had to cut back on the fibre a little. 

3. Sometimes, the 'unhealthier' foods are better. I react better to white bread than I do wholemeal. Salads are a complete no-go for me. I've learned to suss out what foods suit. 

4. Toilet and get off. I spent a while on the loo so I didn't have to get back on it, but that wasn't the best move. Do your thing, clean up  (bath if that makes you feel cleaner) and crack on with your day. Again, this helps with your biofeedback loop and creates good habits. 

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thank you Tim that's amazing help there, I get sooo fed up of this ruling my life, I'm already debating with myself whether to go to a yoga class tonight! When I feel ok I really enjoy it but when I'm like I Am now I can't think of anything worse! I will persist with fighting this and hopefully go! After all there is a toilet there!! 🙈  I'm going to look into this biofeedback, I've not heard of it before and you're the second person today to mention it!  I have done food diaries in the past but got quite obsessed with it and ended up making myself worse! I agree with you white bread over whole meal,  no dairy! Suppose I should go back to the diary and try not to obsess about it! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.