IBS and appendectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the longest time I've had IBS, but when my abdominal pain became worse I recently had an emergency appendectomy. But I still have nausea, loss of appetite and abdominal pain, which I guess is my IBS. Anyone else dealing with IBS and appendectomy?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It'll be three weeks on Sunday since I had my appendix removed after presenting with acute appendicitis. I have to say that I often found that I was hungry the first week after surgery but just unable to eat a normal amount of food. This has since improved, but I still have a bit of pain/tenderness where my internal stitches are (I had a lap surgery). Or I'm about to have a hell of a flare up with my IBS. In terms of my IBS and the surgery, my biggest problem has been that even though I'm eating a decent amount of fiber, I feel like my bowel is sluggish and I'm getting built up and that's what's hurting me. I go to the toilet just fine, nothing's impacted and sometimes twice a day and everything looks normal. It just feels so sore inside right now.

I have an appointment on Monday with my GP as the surgeon didn't want to see me again so I'm going to ask him what he thinks about it all. Have you been to see your doctor about this?

• Posted

Thank-you for your reply, I think we must have had our appendectomys days apart. Hope your recoveery has been going well. I thought I was having an IBS flare-up so did see my doctor, but Ihad to have another surgery to resection my bowel,complication of my appendicitis. I still have some abdominal pain and can not eat very much, but I hope I'm on the road to recovery. Hoping my IBS doesn't flare-up from all my stress. Good health to you.

• Posted

Oh no! I hope you're feeling better now. I really struggled for about a week to eat anything resembling a full meal so I understand you completely. I've lost about half a stone since surgery so definitely make sure you're getting enough calories in even if you have to drink them.

I actually had my first flare up of IBS today and I honestly thought I had popped my internal stitches it hurt so bad. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and then make an appointment with my doctor if I think it's anything else. It's been almost six weeks for me so I should think it's not really related to my surgery but you never know.

Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.