Ibs and barretts esophageous a few months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

In May 2013 I had my gallbladder removed. A few months later I started having issues with diarrhea and stomach pain. I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus and its. I can no longer eat tomatoes or tomato products, Oranges or orange products, pineapples or pineapple products, spicy food etc. If I do I get very severe stomach pain and heartburn. Previous to that I could eat any food no problem. I am now either constipated or diarrhea very rarely normal bowl movement. I have to be scoped every year or two. My gastrointestinal doctor saw the results of my scope and couldn't believe that I had these issues with only having symptoms for a short time. No heartburn or stomach issues previous. Could gallbladder surgery have caused all of these issues?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

All of this is normal, in my case I was going to the bathroom too much, mostly water and I did not improve until past two years, I had no social life at all. At work I used to go to the restroom like 3-4 times. If I ate, I had to go a few times, if I did not eat it was worst because al the gastric juices made me go a lot. My recommendation NO FATS, no Sodas made out of Cola, no fried stuff, very little pizza, avoid chocolates at all cost and the most important, Drink juices with FIBER, fiber will be your best friend for the rest of your life. Eat healthy or you will pay the price. Gallbladder pain will come back, you will end up at the Emergency Room and they will find nothing but a huge medical bill. If you are a constipated person, drink raw olive oil, like a nyquil scoop and enemas. Never take anything for diarrea like Pepto Bismol or Imodium, you will end up again at the emergency room, all of this happened to me and that's how I learn. Ebay sells an enema hose that you plug in your shower, adjust the pressure and temperature, lubricate the tip and flush your intestine a few times, this will clean your colon, food decomposes faster and rot in your intestine causing bloating and constipation, keep it regular. I suggest whoever read this to copy, Paste and save it in your notes.
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed in April 2015.  I am better than I was but still get stomach pain and pain in right side sometimes.  I have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and it is also likely that I have ibs. Not sure which came first the gallstones, hernia or ibs.

But I am certainly better than I was when I had gallstones and do not regret having my gallbladder removed.

Hope things settle down for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah 

• Posted

Hi, Samantha, sorry to hear you're having so many problems.  So, when you have diarrhea, is the liquid yellow, or light brown? Does the diarrhea sting?  That might indicate that you have excess bile in your small intestine that for some reason is working its way back up into your stomach and esophagus.  Are you taking anything to reduce your stomach acid?  You could take something to absorb it or what's called a "proton pump inhibitor."  You could also take something to bind the excess bile, such as Cholestyramine. You still need to eat carefully, but those things might help.  Take care!confused  
  • Posted

Hi there. I too had my gallbladder taken out June 2015 and have all sort of issues now with reflux and burning throat and ammonia stinging in my throat. I have pains under my ribs and sometimes they feel like they are bruised.  Reflux is now a big problem now.  It was only an off an on problem prior to having the gallbladder removed. Had H pylori and a small Hiatial hernia before having my gallbladder removed.  I could eat anything before surgery and now I can't.   I just started drinking alkaline 8.8 ph or higher water and that helps. Also watching what I eat. Trying to eat thing that are alkaline.  If I do have coffee it is with another large glass of water to delute it.  Sip of coffee/mocha and two sips of ph water.  The bowel movements are all over the place too. I had the tests 

for ph (24 hour ph study and mamograph). High acid and reflux with and without acid. Muscles all in normal limits. They told me to take maximum  suppression for acid and do trial tests for a muscle relaxer and  Carafate.   I just spoke yesterday to my GI Doctor had complained again about the reflux and burning. He suggested trying to take peppermint oil for two weeks to see if it will help relax the Lower oesophageal muscle which per the experts (UC DAVIS hospital) say we need to relax the LP muscle to make it close down the value to prevent the reflux and gases.  We are just trying it before taking the drug to relax the muscle.   Believe me I will try anything to stop the pain and silent reflux burning. They say it can take over 6 or more months for everything to settle down after surgery.   I am still waiting for everything to settle in place.  After reading these threads the one thing in common is everyone has different triggers for reflux.  I am still trying to find mine.   Trying to stop the gassy burning.   

• Posted

Hi, Valerie, I've taken enteric coated peppermint, and I understand that enteric coated capsules don't dissolve in the stomach.  They're designed to dissolve in the small intestine.  So perhaps the peppermint oil works on the other side of the valve?  I hope they work for you!  Please let us know how you're doing! Good luck!  confused
    • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April 2015.

Better than I was but still have oneor two issues.

Stomach ache and pain in my right side sometimes.

Also I have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and also possibly have ibs.

I am 65 now and to be honest I am putting these things down to getting older. They are liveable with.

I take colpermin and they seem to help. Also take omeprazole which help with the reflux.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for the info on the colpermin.  I too talks omeperzole 40 morning and  night.  I recently switched to nexium 20 morning and night just for a trail change.  Might be going back to omeperzole though.  I still have pains like something is pulling where they removed the gallbladder out.  I too have IBS  and 53 years old. Never had any problems until about a year ago.  Also about 40 lbs over my ideal weight.  GP, GI Doctors all say lose weight.  Easier said then done.  
    • Posted

I am going to try the oil.  Didn't even though there were peppermint pills. Might try both.  
    • Posted

Hi, Valerie, I hope the peppermint oil helps.  When I take the enteric coated capsules, it helps with the contractions of my small intestine and reduces the pain that I get from them.  But, you should know that because of the menthol in the oil it can make the heartburn feel worse.  Please consider that your IBS is happening because you have too much bile in your system.  What I take absorbs that and life is a lot easier--I can leave the house.  I sympathize with you about your weight loss.  I, too had problems losing weight, but I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease, too.  When you have that, your liver doesn't metabolize fat, so losing weight is nearly impossible.  You can research it on line.  I started to take Choline and Inositol in a blend and also L-Glutamine to help my liver.  I also eliminated high fructose corn syrup from my diet.  It's in lots of food products.  I was able to lose over 30 pounds.  I am ten years older than you are.  My GI Doc thought I was nuts, but I lost that weight between May and September!  My fatty liver is diagnosed as "mild" now.  Fatty liver can lead to all sorts of health problems.  Some people have a tendancy towards it.  Good luck to you!  Let us know how you're doing!
    • Posted

Omg. I also have mild fatty liver. Had that way before this reflux gallbladder stuff happened. My GP told me to take 2000mg of vit E for fatty liver. I was so shocked when he said I had that since I don't drink.   Only a 1/2 glass of wine maybe every other week if that.  I am going to look at what your taking to see if it helps.  
    • Posted

Hi, Valerie!  Yes, you can get fatty liver without drinking.  I drastically reduced drinking about 15 years ago.  And, would only have a cocktail once a month or so.  I also had it way before the gallbladder troubles.  Last year I had an ultrasound, and they couldn't image part of my liver, it was so fatty.  I got scared, thinking my liver looked like a fat-soaked sponge.  My  GI doctor told me to stop drinking!  Research I did on line said it could also be caused by my intake of high fructose corn syrup (HFC) (I love coke) and sugar.  As far as I know, Vit E isn't effective for fatty liver.  Giving up the HFC and taking Choline & Inositol blend really got the ball rolling as far as weight loss!  Most women in the USA don't get the amount of choline they need daily, and fatty liver disease is seldom diagnosed, though very prevalent.  Also for me, no side effects, unlike the D I would get if I tried Sam-E or Milk Thistle.  Those two are touted as effective to cleanse the liver,  but they made me sick, sick!  They were too harsh.  Also L-Glutamine works, too.  Now my fatty liver disease is diagnosed as mild.  My research said it could take a long time to competely heal it!  Let me know what you find out and decide to do!  Good luck!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.