Ibs and diarrhea? What counts as diarrhea?

Posted , 6 users are following.

It seems pretty hard to find a good answer to this question cause I hardly see it mentioned online. My question is about the true definition of diarrhea. Can you have ibs d if you DONT have soft or watery stools but you have an increase in normal consistency bowel movements? Gotcha example I am currently awaiting diagnosis via colonoscopy but I wonder if my symptoms still have the potential to be ibs if I have increased normal consistency bowel movements. Basically these movements don’t follow much of a linear pattern except that I Switch between irregular periods of increased normal consistency bowel movements that come with a sense of urgency and yet are somehow still solid and even occasionally sorta(not very but the feeling is there) hard to pass and released in a rather normal amount of volume. Then on other days I feel backed up and constipated but I am able to pass solid broken up short logs if I sit on the toilet for a while and strain slightly. Even when this occurs I end up going more frequently but with less volume than the other symptoms mentioned above. I also want to mention that during this phase I experience the feeling of backed up gas that feels stuck in my lower back for a few seconds before I fell it being moved to my rectum. This whole process leads to invcressed gas but the intermittently trapped gas doesn’t cause pain only a kind of mild annoying pressure. Lastly I want to mention that I am 21 years old and only experienced liquid diarrhea after eating relatively spicy foods about 30 miniuted after. I noticed this pattern of liquid stool after spicy foods 5 times in different occasions. Every time it occurs it only forces one liquid bowel movement and then it’s over. The rest of the time the two other patterns mentioned above occur without any remission. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello!

I have IBS-C, which means my IBS is constipation predominate. Some people have IBS-D, which is diarrhea predominant. Some people have a mix of both.

I also wanted to mention that spicy food is a trigger for diarrhea for most people, whether they have IBS or not, however it’s especially common for people with IBS to have flare ups after eating spicy food!

• Posted

Ibs c,  yeah agree me too, never mind diarrhoea try agony trying to pass small hard lumps sounds familiar to me and yet DWP want to only know about soiling as they don't understand ibs,  stupid or what? 

• Posted

I have IBS C and can get periods of pellet like stools which are hard to pass or I don't have any urge to pass a motion at all. I have had bouts of loose, formed, urgent bowel movements and full blown ,explosive, watery diarrhoea. I can also have periods of normal stools.  Sometimes I just get stomach pain with no change of bowel habit.  Spicy food can give me heartburn because I have acid reflux which I had before getting IBS.  However, spicy food does not give me diarrhoea, Everyone's IBS is different.

• Posted

Diarrhoea is loose watery stools, so what you are having is not diarrhoea, but you don't have to have diarrhoea to have IBS.

• Posted

You know how your bowel normally works,  if your bowel is not doing as it should then see someone.  I can't eat any spice at all ever since 10 years ago.  Just give up,  keep writing down what you can about food if makes your bowel react and make your doctor do something. 

• Posted

HI I just joined this group. I have ibs d for several years.  No matter how I change my diet I have 

terrible mornings.   I don't know what to eat anymore. I am a senior female and would  like some diet ideas

• Posted

Try soluable fibre which attracts water and turns to gel during digestion. This slows digestion. Soluble fiber is found in oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruits and vegetables. 

Insoluble fiber is found in foods such as wheat, bran, vegetables, and whole grains. However, these foods tend to speed up digestion and can trigger diarrhoea with those with IBS D.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.