IBS and Gastritis..Please help!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my first attack of diverticulitis in april and checked and re checked and told its good..BUT I have pain every day!!Ive had every GI test and now told IBS and slight gastritis.

I have lower belly pain and burning,even in pelvic and low back.pain and burning in upper belly w sternum shooting pains as well as in ribs on both sides that shoot through my back.Feeling of obstruction in upper belly like food is stuck.I have loads of anxiety w this and afraid to eat.I cant believe this would cause so much pain.I have been given Pepcid,a PPI and lexapro for the anxiety/depression.Ive had a chest x ray and EKG due to upper pain.It feels like there is something in my chest,its so weird.Ive lost 50lbs since March in fear of food..my Dr wanted to try xifaxin but never really said I had bad bacteria so im afraid of ruining the good I have on a guessing game.

I take a great probiotic and slippery elm.Im seeing a nutritionist this week.I can not live like this anymore w the pain and weight loss..Do my symptoms match my diagnosis?,I do not have loose stool ..sometimes the opposite. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME πŸ‘‹πŸ˜©πŸ˜©

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms do sound like IBS.  If you have been given an IBS diagnosis and had all the tests, I would accept the diagnosis.  The more you worry about what else it could be the worse your symptoms will become . Ask the nutritionist about the Fodmap diet, many people have found it very helpful.  It may help identify food triggers.  I have daily pain with my IBS.  Most of the time it is mild; if I feel stressed, it is moderate to severe.  I have constipation and loose stools and sometimes nausea.  I don't have problems with food.  Anxiety and depression go with IBS. Symptoms vary from person to person.  Does the probiotic and slippery elm ease your symptoms?

• Posted

Thank you!!!!Im not sure w the probiotic ..i was on align for a long time.I think it constipated me.I switched to VSL#3 and I think it made it worse so I went back to align.My dr prescribed xifaxin wich is an antibiotic for gut for bad bacteria i guess..but he never truly saw this w my tests so my nutritionist said if you take it u will wipe out all good bacteria too and be back to square 1.I dont want to go against dr but im at a loss.Sometimes i feel like i have a kidney stone as my left side hurts around back but I even had an MRI of low bowel to check crohns etc and that showed liver kidney and pancreas as well.Some times it feels gyno related w the pelvic pain ..then the up high stuff gives me anxiety because my sternum hurts and upper belly feels tight.what causes that w IBS??

I have a tooth that needs pulling but been so sick..my Regular MD wants me to start lexapro for my anxiety which only started w this..xanax as needed as well.I hate meds..i have been some what following low FODMAP and using lactose free milk.Ive had diareah all my life until April,now i go regular but takes a bit and never feel done.My biggest anxiety comes from thinking what if i cant eat again and get so skinny and get sick.I was over weight but 50 lbs in 4 months is alot.I eat chicken and tuna which im learning i think the mayo really hurts me or the tuna..mashed potatoes eggs gluten free bread and smoothies w lactose free milk and banana..help

• Posted

Thank you!!!!Im not sure w the probiotic ..i was on align for a long time.I think it constipated me.I switched to VSL#3 and I think it made it worse so I went back to align.My dr prescribed xifaxin wich is an antibiotic for gut for bad bacteria i guess..but he never truly saw this w my tests so my nutritionist said if you take it u will wipe out all good bacteria too and be back to square 1.I dont want to go against dr but im at a loss.Sometimes i feel like i have a kidney stone as my left side hurts around back but I even had an MRI of low bowel to check crohns etc and that showed liver kidney and pancreas as well.Some times it feels gyno related w the pelvic pain ..then the up high stuff gives me anxiety because my sternum hurts and upper belly feels tight.what causes that w IBS??

I have a tooth that needs pulling but been so sick..my Regular MD wants me to start lexapro for my anxiety which only started w this..xanax as needed as well.I hate meds..i have been some what following low FODMAP and using lactose free milk.Ive had diareah all my life until April,now i go regular but takes a bit and never feel done.My biggest anxiety comes from thinking what if i cant eat again and get so skinny and get sick.I was over weight but 50 lbs in 4 months is alot.I eat chicken and tuna which im learning i think the mayo really hurts me or the tuna..mashed potatoes eggs gluten free bread and smoothies w lactose free milk and banana..help

• Posted

IBS can affect both the upper and lower digestive tract.  Pain can be felt just about anywhere, even in your joints. Sometimes, people only get lower digestive tract disturbance.    I have always had reflux and sternum pain before IBS.  Now I have both.  I had to take painkillers once for the sternum pain because antacids weren't helping. Sometimes I have found it even painful to touch.

• Posted

Hi Kelly

I feel for you.

I've had abdominal pain now since January when it all started, been in hospital 7 times since March, had tests galore  CT scans etc and blood tests and a laparoscopy in May so they could look inside to check around.  All they found was abdominal adhesions on my right abdominal wall and all over my appendix.  I have never had surgery, so therefore these adhesions (scar tissue) have come from some form of infection/inflammation inside my tummy.. possibly appendix area.

To cut a long story short, since the laparoscopy the pain is worse, my stomach is bloated all the time, stabbing pains low down which also puts pressure on my bladder with spasms.

They want to do another laparoscopy in september to have another look with a view to removing the appendix  due to the fact that it was covered in adhesions and they are implying all the pain could be down to a chronic appendicitis ??  I have a feeling I have more adhesions which have sprouted aswell  which can cause terrible pulling and tugging pain.

The reason i am getting back to you is that yesterday my doctor suggested that I get tested for coeliac disease (gluten intolerance..)  just to rule this out, as my symptoms feel like IBS on and off and the bloating and pain is horrendous.  So I had the blood test yesterday to check for this and it takes a couple of weeks to come back.  My doctor said it is ok for me to do a diagnostic kind of test and change my diet as of now, so just to rule this out I am now going to start on gluten free cereal and bread  etc etc.....

So I'm due for this next laparoscopy 15 Sept  and I will know by then if my tummy troubles may have stemmed from coeliac/gluten intolerance.

My doctor told me that undetected coeliac disease can cause adhesions in the bowel area due to inflammation. It can also bring on an appendicitis and can also give constipation/bloating/pain/upset stomach/sickness/tiredness/dizziness and other things...

I just wanted to mention all of this to you if any of it rings true with yourself.

Caroline

• Posted

Thank you!!!Im sorry you suffer too.do you have the upper stuff too..rib pain and sternum pain.?What is laproscopy?What Dr did this.I saw a GI..he checked for celiac first thing and said no...i had crohns checked..An MRI of low bowel and they saw kidneys liver pancreas etc..Sometimes o feel like its gyno related but had that checked too.I have a cyst and fibroid.I always have pelvic pain and back pain..Left side pain around back that almost feels like a kidney stone.my anxiety is sooo bad worrying of not being able to eat and lose more weight.my Dr wants me to start lexapro to calm down.he feels anxiety makes the belly worse..all I do is worry about it..I need to stop!My colon always hurts.im dizzy alot but i have menieres disease too which is a dizzy condition.I have constipation not so much D..I hope and pray we all get together
    • Posted

Hi Kelly Β Just wanted to say hang in there. At least it is reasuring when you get back results that show nothing bad. I too have gastritis and now the Doc says probably ibs due to my constipation and then usually every month or two severe diarhhea. Β Ugh!! I am experimenting with diet and cutting back on pantoloc. Been on that for a year so hopefully I can wean it back. I think it might help my constipation. Good luck!!
    • Posted

Thanks Sue!!I sure hope so..My pain is daily to the point I dont go out much anymore.Hurts to touch my belly ..pains are upper belly and lower.lots of indegestion that causes anxiety.Even hurts to pass gas.Tired all the time and lost 50 lbs in 5 months.Thats how long Ive been dealing w this..I pray every day to get better..It has to go away,right?πŸ˜”.I hope you feel better too sweetie.Thank you for reaching out!!😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.