Ibs and lack of appetite

Posted , 9 users are following.

Since the food poisioning 6 months ago have no appetite.

Do people with ibs have a lack of appetite?

Or is it anxiety that isn't helping my lack of appetite?

Can't put on weight and I'm on a fodmap diet which doesn't help.

I eat cos I have too.

I lost 9lbs originally and never have regained it. Lost another 4 lbs when I went on the fodmap and even though I'm definately having enough calories per day - I can't put on weight

Your opinions are most welcome thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't think one loses his appetite with IBS. I certainly haven't, but then I

seem to have a very mild

case compared with the definition of IBS. However it is a major source of

misery for me and disruption of my life. I emailed with one person, though,

And she had it so bad she CHOSE to not eat to try and stop the symptoms.

I have an incredible issue of depression/anxiety but nothing stops my

ravenous appetite. What is the roadmap diet and why are you on it?

I would definitely have a doctor check it out again.

• Posted

It's the low Fodmap diet - not Roadmap. Fodmaps are foods that are high  in substances such as sugars, fructose etc, essentially a collection of molecules in foods that can be poorly absorbed by some people. The connection between foods  high in Fodmaps and IBS  was identified by Monash University. The theory behind the diet is that by eating foods low in Fodmaps it reduces IBS symptoms. I have been following the Low Fodmap diet for a couple of years. It has helped me to identify food "triggers" which for me me are mushrooms,garlic, onions and anything other than small amounts of gluten. It has been incredibly helpful for me. I haven't lost weight on the Low Fodmap diet, but I wasn't overweight to begin with. It doesn't work for everyone, but is definitely worth trying. The only other thing I would say is that until you get to grips with a Low Fodmap eating plan you have to be absolutely vigilant in checking the ingredients of every food you eat. For example some supermarket own brand tomato ketchup contains onions, major brands do not. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi yes I know its Fodmaps - typo - and brain fog smile  I was on it 2 months without one thing that wasn't on it and it was helping.  The moment i have anything that isn't on the list - I do get worse.  The one trigger though I feel is red meat for sure. 

It is hard to not eat an apple or have anything sweet but I've been making a sugarless carrot cake.  I tried cooking Maggie Beers anzac cookies with oats but I think the golden syrup upset me.  

I lost the majority of weight when i got the semonella - and lost about 4 lbs after the fodmap.  In all essense though, it is good for you - but you do miss out on some vitamins because of certain foods that are eliminated. 

• Posted

Sorry Rhonda - my reply was to Marilyn who asked what the Roadmap diet was. I'm lucky that I have never had a sweet tooth so I don't feel deprived. I might have a piece of GF cake once in a while, but it really wouldn't bother me if I didn't have it.  There are however loads of recipies available for Low Fodmap puddings, cakes, biscuits, desserts and custards and ice creams so it is possible to have a wide varity of sweet tasting things. 

I'm pleased you found the Low Fodmap diet helped, but as you say, it has to become a lifelong eating plan and you have to work out your individual triggers and food preferneces. 

Jan

• Posted

lol - see how brain fog I am - smile lucky you not having a sweet tooth.  One thing I treat myself with (not sugar) is plain corn chips.  Its about the only thing I enjoy - but that maybe because i am sodium deficient?  I will check out the low fodmap recipes thanks for the advice.
  • Posted

Some people with food related IBS have no appetite if eating is bringing on their symptoms.  Anxiety about a certain food causing a flare up will cause symptoms to get worse and can cause weight loss.  Stress burns off calories.  Not eating at all or eating less will also cause weight loss.  A high metabolism will also keep your weight lower.  I don't put on weight because I have an anxious personality and I have a high metabolism.  Relax about your weight and forget about it because all the tests you have had show normal results and no sinister reason for losing weight.

With Fodmap, you are reducing or avoiding certain carbs, sugars and fats which increase weight.  To be honest, it is better to lose weight rather than gain it as long as you are not losing too much.

If you are having very frequent loose bowel movements or diarrhoea, this can also cause weight loss.  With IBS, anxiety is your enemy and will influence your symptoms greatly. 

• Posted

With mine, and I am thankful I only seem to have a flare when I get over-stressed or have my routine distrupted too much, I have terrible belly pain, like the worst trapped gas, and cannot go, and it is very hard to even pass the gas.  This makes it very hard to want to eat, or even get up to fix myself anything.  I usually have a few days of being constipated, and then gradually get back to normal.  But I think if you are terribly anxious and stressed, it can play a role in appetite and weight.
  • Posted

Once I had the sickness the appetite went - but agree that my stress levels are absolutely one of the reasons why I don't feel like eating and can't put on weight

Like the preverbial worry wart than I am ithi k oh hope it's not my Pancreas

I have felt so nauseous for nearly a week

That's not helping me feel well plus I've had loose stools all week after it started coming good. I've had a slight cold all week so maybe it's a stomach flu? One step forward two back. Then my mind wonders and feel crap.

Plus you're right Pippa I worry about loosing weight and sure that doesn't help

Thanks for your compliments girls x

• Posted

Having a cold is not the same thing as gastric flu.  Gastric flu causes nausea and vomiting but can occur along with a cold.  Colds can make you feverish, achy and nauseous and can occur on their own without gastric flu on top.  Having an infection will not help your IBS.
  • Posted

Hi Rhonda..I am on this site for my adult daughter..she is so uncomfortable right now she doesnt even want to talk here. She too is suffering from lack of appetite...She is somewhat hungry but when she tries to eat she can only eat a couple of mouthfuls and feels full...that and she has severe dry mouth from a medication she was just prescribed she has trouble eating and swallowing.

.Doesn't help she is nausea all the time and has the abdominal cramping/spasms[

I hope your appetite is better now..if you or anyone has suggestions please pass them along. My daughter was just recently diag. with IBS and Im not sure if this is what she has or this and something else along with it. Such a frustrating disease. ok thanks for any advice. jeannie

• Posted

Hi Jeannie, my mum is having very similar problems including the dry mouth (I think caused by linzess) she's been given a spray to help, it's essentially artificial saliva - maybe your daughter could try this?

Sorry you & your daughter are having a tough time, it's hard to watch a family member struggle like this.

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, I found your thread because I'm desperately googling why my mum has no appetite/is refusing to eat because of her ibs. I got her doctor to refer her to a dietician to be prescribed ensure drinks because like you she has lost weight, would this be an option for you?

How have you been doing since you posted?

• Posted

hi rhondda, years ago my doctors thought i had ibs. they stripped my diet, took masses of things out and tried every which way to deal with my symptoms to do with food. no emotional support, i pushed hard to find out what was really wrong then only when i swapped doctors did i discover the truth. i have coeliac disease not ibs and allergies. not known before. the result? STRESS! the result NO appetite, i lost weight, i then didn't want to eat more and more. ibs? are you sure? check what this REALLY is. if it's ibs, take no medication and take one day at a time. oh and get some EMOTIONAL support. it works much better than any pill. good luck, stress is a killer, literally!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.