ibs and lower back pain?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey! im 22 and suffer with ibs. i was wandering does anyone else experience lower backache? i also get alot of nausea. im wondering whether i need to cut out dairy as its so fatty i wonder whether that triggers symptoms.

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The lower back pain is usually due to constipation. It maybe that you need some Movical (available on presciption) which makes into a drink - if you find it a bit unpleasant add it to some orange juice.  Firstly though speak to your doctor as he may have other ideas.
    • Posted

Hi Gwen

I dont really suffer with constipation im usually the other way. When my stomach is playing up my back tends to be worse and my stools are very fatty.

• Posted

In that case you may need to change to a gluten free diet. Have a word with the doc.
    • Posted

Beth Google fodmap diet it's been my saving grace. Have had allthe symptoms you mention and more. When given the stool chart to show what way my stools came out, I said easy all of

them he laughed.

Do go see your doctor though as they are the professional.

• Posted

Hi Beth, I get lower back pain too, coupled with a constant bubbling in my stomach. I have not been told I have ibs yet as I am undergoing tests. I had colonoscopy yesterday which looked fine and got an MRI scan next week. I find t back pain eases when I exercise. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi beth, i myself had stomach issues from dairy. I had to stop eating cheese, milk, coffee mate, half and half and anything else.  It was causing mucus, and mucus causes cancer (eventually). Now I'm looking for other things to replace cheese and plain milk. The mucus was draining into my stomach and making me sick along with the sickness from either IBS, or what I was diagnosis with, which is not the problem. But, dairy is not for everyone.  But, check with your doctor, and even they don't have all of the answers. Be blessed and get back with me if you want to know anything else about my journey with my stomach.  Jay
    • Posted

Thanks for all of your replys. Yes I have wondered whether it is dairy. I often feel sick and have stomach trouble. I have had all the tests and my doctor is rubbish anyway hense why i have had to turn to alternative advice. Im back in the gym and my diet is slowlt getting better but i still feel quite queasy often.
  • Posted

I get a constant lower backache too. If the guts  fail emptying themselves properly, I think eventually we get backache.!!
  • Posted

Hi beth79547

Yes I experience those same symptoms! I've started drink lactose free milk and fat free cheese, which I hate because I love all kinds of cheeses! Also I've noticed that if I eat proteins (meats) with vegetables and not starchy foods, like potatoes, rice and pasta, I have better luck! Have also stopped eating out, make my own meals with very little spices. I too suffer with lots of lower back pain, severe dull lower

abdominal pain that also runs down through my legs!

• Posted

Thank you rosemary yeh i think dairy makes ibs worse for many sufferers. I may try cutting out cheese etc
  • Posted

Hi Beth. Gwen here again. Have you thought of having allergy testing? You might be able to get it done at your local hospital. Your doctor would know. I know some people suffer purely as an allergy to milk - nothing else. It's worth a try.
  • Posted

Hi Beth, I slipped a disc some while ago and had lots of problems with my back and lower back pain for a long time after which made it difficult to get up out off the couch and straighten up my body. I always thought it was due to the slipped disc but I also had a problem with IBS and bloating pain in my chest (under my rib cage)

Short of it was I decided my bowel must be blocked! I knew a lot about this as my wife had suffered for many years with bowel problems and had extensive colonic irrigation. (Which cured her 😃)

So I went for a course of 6 colonic irrigation treatments (gravity method not under pressure)

On the first session it really made my back hurt but I thought it was because I was laying on my back and that always made it hurt... anyway finished the first treatment and went home and to my amazement when I got up from the couch it was easy and my body straightened up immediately!!

Finished the other 5 sessions of colonic irrigation over a couple of weeks and it cured my bloating and chest pain with the added bonus of curing my lower back pain, a real result. Also to this day my back generally has been better with regards to the slipped disc.

Make what you want from this but I was wondering if you might have a blocked bowel??

• Posted

Hi Blu

I have thought about colonic irragation but it also frightens me. i would hate to end up with diareaah or something because of it and the whole proccess freaks me out a bit too but i have heard good and bad things and have thought about it myself. 

I know that back pain is a sympton of ibs and its worse when im due on my monthly cycle like today i can feel pressure there. i also tend to hunch over alot so i think that doesnt help. 

• Posted

Hi Beth, I can't advise if it's right for you or not, that's your decision but I'll send you a link to a PDF book that I'm sure you'll find very interesting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.