IBS and Rectal Bleeding

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All.

Just a quick question to you fellow IBS sufferers that I'm looking for thoughts and views on, hoping some of you can help.

I suffer with IBS-A (alternating), but during a flare up I sometimes get some rectal bleeding, and at the same time get what can only be described as gurgling / fizzy sensations anywhere in my lower abdomen. The flare ups last about a week, but the bleeding goes on for a few days after then stops. I usually go weeks to months before it happens again. During these bouts of bleeding I tend to feel more generally unwell. The blood is bright red, and usually after passing a stool (red blood on toilet paper, maybe a drop or two in the toilet bowl), but has been known to come out before passing one, and sometimes it can look like there are blood clots on the toilet paper when I wipe, however I do produce a lot of mucus with my IBS and wondering if this is a combination of loose stool, blood and mucus. I'm currently going through one of these bouts now, and experiencing IBS-D at the moment, and there isn't a huge amount of blood, but its there. The last time I had bleeding, I was going through IBS-C, and there was quite a bit of blood. This made me go to the doctor, who prescribed me suppositories for heamorrhoids, and at the end of the course of suppositories the bleeding stopped, this was about 6 - 8 weeks ago, but now I'm bleeding again. My doctor has referred me to a Gastroenterologist as he feels a colonoscopy would be wise. I did have a combined colonoscopy and endoscopy a couple years back and all that was found was that I had a very long and mobile sigmoid colon, and polyps which were removed and found to be benign, no other issues.

Sorry to have to be so graphic about my toilet habits, and I hope some of you can give me your thoughts and views on this, especially if you do suffer the same as I do.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Paul

I've passed blood like you describe a few years ago when I was suffering from constipation as a result of IBS. However it was only occasional ie fresh blood on paper and little drops in the toilet pan. I had a sigmoidoscopy and they found no issues but I did have inflamed internal hemmeroid.

You should take comfort that you only had colonoscopy a couple of years ago and it was all clear. I think it is unlikely anything serious can develop in that short space of time however it is best to get it checked out.

Good luck, hope things go well for you

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Adam. I do take some comfort from the fact I had a colonoscopy a bit over 2 years ago, and nothing untoward was discovered, plus comfort from the fact that there has never been a history of any serious nasties in my family. My bleeding usually comes in bouts of a few days to a week, it almost always looks like fresh blood, and after passing a stool, I can dab my bottom and there will be blobs of fresh blood on the toilet paper, which indicates more to me that the bleeding is close to the opening of my bum and more than likely a fissure or haemorrhoid. Its just, as I mentioned to Pippa, the fact that I generally feel more unwell when these bleeding episodes occur. Are they linked or is it just coincidence, I don't know!! I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME and Anxiety on top of the IBS, so maybe these bouts of feeling more ill are a combination of a number of my ailments. Definitely going to get it checked out, but I can almost guarantee that when the colonoscopy comes round, I'll be having one of my better bouts and they won't find anything. That'll be just my luck!

Thanks again for the reply and take care.

• Posted

Though I haven’t been diagnosed “formally” with IBS, I HAVE had past bouts with hemmorhoids, and experience similar with bright red blood on my TP, along with some mucus.

I’ve personally found that my diet has A LOT to do with these symptoms. After 15+ years of incorrect diagnoses and treatments, I was told a couple years ago that my issues are likely caused by an overgrowth of Candida, along with some food allergies.

For me, going on a STRICT anti Candida diet (no sugars, no carbs, no grains, nothing processed-  basically lean meats, leafy greens, quinoa and berries- strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries) along with cutting out all nightshades (tomatoes, white potatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc) has a profound and nearly immediate benefit to my symptoms, including bleeding. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.