Ibs and relationships?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

At first I was only having ibs C, which was fine and I could manage that, but over the past few months it's  changed to the urgency to go.

And it's really hard whilst being in a relationship, we've only been together for 6 months so when I feel the sudden urge I get so embarrassed that I don't want her to know, so I just say I'm going to have a shower or something, so she doesn't like try and come looking for me or whatever. 

Has anyone ever experienced this? We are moving in together soon and this is the only thing that scares me.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain I can be in mid-conversation with my significant other and have to run out of the room hoping that I make it to the toilet in time I feel so rude and hate that I have to do that but I have to or I'll have an accident. Lately at work I've been having trouble with gas and the urgency to have to go all of the sudden I'm a cosmetologist so I'm standing right behind someone doing their hair and there's nothing like being in mid-conversation or just about to put a foil in and say excuse me I have to run to the bathroom. I was just diagnosed with IBS I thought it was just me the way my body works something I would have to deal with thought I was going to eventually end up wearing diapers. I start a new anti spasm medication tomorrow morning I'll let you know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi, 

Yes please let me know how it goes with the medication. 

I hope it is some help to you. 

• Posted

IBS completely killed my relationship. It was great for 2 and a half years then For the next 2 I spent most of in the loo missing weddings, christenings etc and I can't blame her but in the end she had just had enough and fully understandable as I was an utter nightmare nearly all the time. We could not plan to go anywhere or do anything. Away for a romantic getaway I thought I did well to get there but then I broke loo and spent the evening looking for a staff member to fix. Romantic weekend it was not and I was crying inside for I knew I had f***ed up yet another weekend. How many chances would I get. The answer was many but many was never going to be enough and she knew it. She did the right thing for both our sakes as I reached a point where I was just so overwhelmed with guilt. I did not find this place until after we broke up. Had I found it before like you have I believe I could have saved that relationship but it was not to be.

• Posted

This is something I worry about too as the only person who knows the full extent of my IBS is my mum. I think honesty is the best policy. If they really care about you then they'll understand and just want to help.

• Posted

Hi, I've been dealing with IBS D for about 20yrs and I was with my hubby when it all started up...lots of rough times feeling ill both physically and emotionally, due mostly to the IBS. I can attest to the fact that stress does make the IBS D worse. I thought it over many times and I concluded each time, even after breaks of up to 1 yr, that I needed and wanted the reassurance of someone there, even if they were the source of the stress. So after a number of separations and a divorce and finally just living together, we are trying something a little different...that is....for us, I have more "me/alone" time. We have agreed upon acceptable behaviors. He is very understanding, but a pretty negative person and that behavior really sets off my stress and in turn the IBS D. So he's working on that. Several times over the last 15 yrs I had to really give it some serious thought...was being alone better or being with him, even though he created stress due to his overall negative verbal responses and expressions. We've talked about it to a limited degree (he's not a talker) and finally came to an agreement as to what was going to be acceptable and not create stress. For me that boiled down to his trying to be a more positive person and more alone time for me. We'll see how it goes. Both of us are hopeful this will be a workable agreement and will create less stress for me and better health. I think anyone with IBS C or D must analyze all their relationships and see where the stress is and work at finding a resolution. Remember your stress can be from work or family or friends or even your home. What ever is the source, it's up to you to work on what can be a way to resolve the stress. If you don't work on it, I can guarantee, your health and stress levels are only going to get worse to the point you will be totally dependant on your current situation and then you will be really stuck. So my suggestion, is work on fixing the stress now while you still can. 

• Posted

I just wanted to add this, as the questions are concerns with embarrassing situations with who you are around (ie, someone you are working at having a relationship with). Here's my suggestions: 1st you must really analyze all your relationships...maybe you have more than 1 stressful problem going one. If you do, you have to analyze & figure out a plan as to what you could do to stopping the stress. Perhaps you are in a profession or working for a co that causes you too much stress. Honest but simple answer is you have to change your thinking (which is almost impossible depending upon the circumstances that cause your stress) and or change the co you are working for or very possibly even the profession you are in. You can say that's not possible...but I beg to differ. ( I know, I had to do this on several levels) It is possible, you just have to assess your talents and see where else you could use them. Even a stay at home Mom can do something. For example, her husband could work nights, she could take up some stress reducing exercises(running, yoga, meditating) or hobbies (a musical instrument, painting). As for relationships, well that depends upon who's involved.  Anyone outside of your partner, just keep more distance (sorry, I had to learn to do this). For stress with a partner, that's when it comes to both of you or anyone else you choose to ask, really thinking & working at coming up with ideas. Be that more time alone for you or stopping or starting of certain behaviors by your partner or you for that matter (such as if you are eating foods U know cause IBS D...well u gota stop that)! It all takes work, but it's durable. Heck I'm on to now 15 yrs of trying and it's gotten a whole lot better, not perfect, but way way better!  

• Posted

I am not happier but I find my IBS much easier to control when I am not in a relationship because as well as stress I think guilt can be equally as damaging and I felt a lot of it in my last relationship. Now I am guilt free. If I arrange to see friends and don't make it we just say can't make it tonight and all forgiven but relationships generally demand much more of us. That is something I am not prepared to give. If I entered another relationship it eoukd would have to be on the same level as my friends as I feel guilt when I sack them off for the night and my friends do not hold grudges and never mentioned again. If only relationships could be that simple and easy going. Some may but mine usually are not. Now when I am ill the only person I am letting down is me or the employer but that is fine I can make time up so I don't care about that either. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.