Ibs and silent reflux

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey

I posted on here 2 years ago about having Ibs symptoms. I'm suffering again now but it's making me really ill. I get a gurgling tummy, so bloated, upper stomach ache, passing wind all the time and constipation but this time I feel so nauseated with it. I get silent reflux too and suffer with sore throats and I'm thinking I've got them both at the minute. I have a horrible pressure in my throat that makes me want to gag. I have post nasal drip so I feel like I'm drowning! It has made my anxiety sky high. I've no energy and I know if I go to my GP she will just say it's my anxiety. Nothing is helping ease my symptoms. I'm on stomach tablets but they are just not working. The silent reflux makes me breathless too. So fed up now. I can't cope with the nausea 😣 it's all day long and I fear eating.

Any advise would be great.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor sounds as good as mine can be sometimes - rubbish. Ask to see another doctor you need something if your ant acids don't work. Good luck insist they see you lay it on thick and they will help you!

• Posted

Thank you. I will do. They love to just put it down to my anxiety.

• Posted

Sezza

I am sorry to say you need to make that appointment to see your GP. Your conditions sounds problematic and you need further checkups

Make a double appointment and write out a list of what is going on and all the problems you are having with influx etc

Let us know how yu get on

BOB

• Posted

I know. I keep putting it off but I need to go. It's taking over my life!

Thanks for the reply

Sarah

• Posted

I am having the same symptoms and stopped eating sugar and raw green vegetables. Not totally but taking away most of it. Was feeling a lot better until the hamburger and fries at lunch today !  Not good choice
    • Posted

Oh no. Not good. I love spicy food but my stomach doesn't! Feels so unfair to have to cut out foods we love. Might be good on the waistline though haha.

Sarah

• Posted

Sezza978 I have most of the same symptoms as you silent reflux which has now been diagnosed as Barrett's esophagus I'm on Pepcid at night. The ibs has been going on for 5 weeks. On leave from work. I feel for you. I am trying ibgard(peppermint) that supposed to help the spasms. I also take probiotics which used to control the spasms in past. I have always used fiber gummies and ground flax seed. I think u need to see gastro to check out feel better

• Posted

How did you get diagnosed with that?

I suffer with reflux so on meds but the past few months I've suffered with silent reflux. What is pepcid? Peppermint didn't work for me. Mine is all down to stress and anxiety

Sarah

• Posted

I was diagnosed with egd had multiple biopsies. Was very surprised with these results. Pepcid is h2 antagonist (antacid). Mine started 5 weeks ago started with what I thought was diverticulitis put on antibiotics and all heck broke loose after that. I'm thinking that something triggers a brain-gut malfunction and our gi tract goes haywire. Once this happens anxiety fatigue and anxiety take over. I wish they could find out how we can control this gut-mind connection. I know you said peppermint didn't help but try ibgard it doesn't release till it reaches small intestine, it helps the spasms. Feel better., 

• Posted

Oh no. Sounds like you are having a bad time with it.

Yes it's made my anxiety awful at the minute . It's a vicious circle.

• Posted

Have you been to your GP and have you been diagnosed with IBS?
    • Posted

Last time I went they said it was ibs and gave me peppermint tablets. They didn't help. I either get diarrhoea or constipation with my other symptoms of gurgling tummy, bloated so much it hurts and sickness. Just never had the sickness so bad! I'm on lansoprzole but they seem to have stoped working

• Posted

I would go back to your doctor and ask for a different antispasmodic such as Buscopan. Try lots of fruit or a laxative for constipation and Imodium or Codeine for diarrhoea.  Rice or bananas can help to bind you up.  Try a food diary or the low Fodmap diet.  Sounds like IBS.  Are you getting stomach pain that moves about?
    • Posted

Thank you.

I get upper abdominal ache. Not pain.

I get some pain in my lower left stomach sometimes and is extremely tender to touch. The GP said that it sounded like diverticulitis. I thought it was my ovaries but had them checked out and all was fine. I had to give it and take a laxative. Hate taking them but it dies give me some relief after for a bit.

• Posted

It's not a bad pain, just annoying.

I had one years back and that was all fine. There was some inflammation but the biopsies came back fine.

• Posted

My GP said IBS and gave me peppermint tablets but they didn't work. That was a while back. It flares up for a few weeks then goes for months. The heartburn I get I'm on lansoprzole tablets. I've suffered with that for many years. Seems to run in my family. I suffer with anxiety so that can trigger the ibs and heartburn although I've been doing well on the anxiety front for years. For me to have the ibs and reflux at the same time hasn't happened before so it freaked me out. My gp always blames my anxiety. I sometimes suffer with low b12 which can cause anxiety. I asked for a blood test a year back as I was getting my symptoms and she was reluctant but did. I was 7 over what it should be so I do get symptoms at that reading but she said it's in the normal amount so it's just my anxiety!!!! I had to practaly beg for the tablets! She gave them me but said "if it will make you think it's better" ! Think the level has to be 145 and over. I've been 143 in the past (I didn't know at the time. I never used to ask for my readings) and she told me it was normal when I rang for my results. I ended up in A&E that night because I felt so ill and the doctor there looked on my records and said my recent b12 test was morbidly low! Back up the GP who said it's borderline so we'd monitor it but when I rang for my results they said normal no action!!! After that I now always ask for all my blood result readings. I don't trust them. Someone suggested charcoal tablets which I tried but didn't realise you have to take them for a few weeks for them to work. I only lasted a week on them before I gave up so maybe I should try them again.

• Posted

IBS and acid reflux go together; so don’t worry. This is normal for IBS; symptoms can change. Simply ask for a different antispasmodic.  Sometimes you have to try several.  Above all, try not to stress because it will make IBS worse.

I have acid reflux and IBS.  However, I don’t worry about either of them.  I take an antacid and take Buscopan or Nurofen when my IBS flares up. Anxiety is an IBS symptom.

Since your are worried about your B12 levels, I would take the tablets that your doctor gave you.

• Posted

Thank you. Do you suffer with fatigue too? I've been so tired.

I think my b12 is ok at the minute. I get problems with my legs when it goes down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.