IBS and stomach bug

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

So I've got IBS and have now got the dreaded stomach bug. Woke up on Wednesday morning and had sickness and diarrhea, and all i ate all day was two crackers. Yesterday (Thursday) I wasn't being sick but had bad diarrhea all day long. I started to eat, and had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, some marmite on toast for lunch, and then scrambled egg and some plain chicken for dinner. Today is the 3rd day (Friday) and I woke up at 5 am with dirarrhea, and have had another bout just now (8am) so it obviously is not showing signs of letting up. I have been drinking lemonade (but adding sugar to get rid of the fizz) and water.

Is it normal for it to last for 3 days like this, with bad diarrhea? And am I doing the right thing in eating? I feel hungry and am also concerned about losing weight as I am already borderline underweight.

I really hope it clears up soon as have missed 2 days of work this week and am worried that it might not have stopped by Monday when I have to go back to work.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

(I also suffer from anxiety - particularly about my ibs - so I feel that will make matters worse).

I always come on here for advice when I'm worried, and find everyone really helpful.

Thanks

Vicky

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Vicky,

It sounds like you need to starve your stomach to get the bug out. Don't eat for at least 12 hrs if not 24. Drink little and often. Coke with sugar in to flaten it is good. Also try ginger tea, you can put honey in it to make it taste better.

Then eat gradually, chicken, rice, white toast, dry biscuits. Broths are good but not with red meat.

You can have the diarrhea for upto five days later than the sickness bug. I get them for longer due to ibs and medication withdrawal.

Hope it helps.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Vicky, it is normal for a bug to last 3/4 days sometimes longer. Just eat very plain food and drink plenty of fluids, keep warm and get better, I find diarrhoea tablets help but can also make you constipated. I use tesco own (but specially for IBS) make sure you read the back of the label/ box and this one didn't make me constipated. You just need to rest and get better. Don't eat any fried or greasy food. Good luck.

• Posted

I assume that the IBS has been confirmed by you doctor.

You should at normally and drink fluids to maintain hydration.

If your symptoms persist for more that aweek consuly tou GP

• Posted

There are mixtures you can buy like Immodium that will settle your problem, you can get these types of medications in a Chemist and sometimes the problem will clear given time. If after taking a course of medications go and see your GP. Try eating white rice, sometimes that can dry you out as will bread. It is important you drink plenty of fluids

When abroad in the Middle East we would pour out boiled water out into a jug and add four or five tablespoonfulls of sugar in the water, with the same number of teaspoons of salt, give that a try. 

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your replies and advice. I stuck to just eating toast, banana, and eggs yesterday and haven't had diarrhea for almost 24 hours now, and my stools have now become more solid (sorry if that's too much info :-/ ). I decided to just drink water and lay off the flattened lemonade, as I read on the Internet that sugar can aggrivate diarrhea.

Still feeling anxious though that I won't be able to tell if the bug has really left me, as (as you must all experience too) ibs causes loose stools at the best of times...especially when feeling anxious about it, so I'm worried i might get symptoms again, but it will just be the ibs and anxiety...just hard to distinguish. Does anyone else feel like this after a stomach bug?

Just anxious about not being clear of it before I have to go back to work on Monday.

Thanks

Vicky

• Posted

I don't know if any of you are still on here. but thank you for sharing. I have had IBS with constipation for over a decade now. this is the beginning of day 7 or more of the stomach bug. I have been able to eat some days. but the next day I'm back to diarrhea liquid. sorry but true.

• Posted

hi vicky, firstly get well soon, eat little and often and keep it bland, bland, bland. as long as you drink you will manage, a bug like this takes up to a week to clear for me, 2 days bug, 1 day no food or liquid at all then sips of water. flat lemonade and let it come out of you. watch milk it will give you the runs more. just take lots of time and let your bowel catch up! good luck, plenty of dvd's and no work until diarrhoea is clear for 48 hours!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.