IBS and stomach cramps?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

So I have recently (the past week or so) been having more pain in my abdomen than usual. I used to deal with IBS-C, now it seems to be a mix between both constipationa and diarrhea (sorry, we’re getting really personal)

I felt totally fine (minus my usual anxiety stomach pain) until I ate at 6am a couple night ago and for the rest of the day (it lasted maybe 24 hours) I had really bad stomach cramping, and acid reflux. It felt like trapped wind and I was definitely passing gas through both ends. I had a bowel movement and it made me feel better temporarily but then it came back again.

I’m not really sure what to do (as I have this pain again tonight)!or if anybody has any advice, but if you do, that would be very helpful! I’m starting to panic because I have bad health anxiety!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also, forgot to mention, the pain is mostly on my left side, but it moves around!
    • Posted

Left sided pain is typical of IBS and it can move around your stomach.  Try distracting your mind with a hobby or light exercise like walking. Light exercise will also help you to move your bowel better when you are constipated.
  • Posted

The first thing to do is to try not to panic because it will aggravate your symptoms. IBS can alternate between constipation and diarrhoea which is known as IBS A.  Eating late is not good for IBS. Try a food diary to see if any food may have triggered symptoms  Eat little but often. Avoid fizzy drinks, artificial sugars like sorbitol and gassy vegetables such as brussels sprouts, cabbage and broccoli.  When constipated try fruit such as oranges, grapes and prune juice or a short term laxative. For diarrhoea, take foods that contain soluble fibre; insoluble fibre can be bad for IBS D. Imodium or codeine is also very good for stopping.it.

Gas from both ends, which I have had during a bad flare up, anxiety and acid reflux are also very common symptoms.  You will also get temporary relief after a bowel movement.  Try nurofen or cocodomol for the pain.  If you have been prescribed an antispasmodic like Buscopan, try this along with the nurofen or cocodomol.  Buscopan can be bought over the counter.  There are other antispasmodics that your doctor can prescribe if Buscopan doesn't suit.

• Posted

Hi, some ideas, check out magnesium citrate, Chia seeds, sourdough bread, the Fodmap diet, probiotics/ kefir, I have IBS I reckons mine's due to redundant colon or may be not, anyway all the usual problems/symptoms, I take all these mentioned about, there's loads of info online about these things, you could see if you think they might help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.