IBS At Any Age

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Everyone can anyone tell me can you get IBS at any age ?? Because I in my early fifties and I have all the symptoms I think lots of bubbling sounds coming from left hand side under rib and rumbling in stomach on the toilet about 3 times a day with runs and very windy down below 😡Been like this for a few days now , but in the last few months on and off !! Realy getting me down , got doctors next week . 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Same thing happened to me. I went on diary free and gluten free diet and it lessened quite a bit. Try it you have nothing to lose.

• Posted

Hi Diane , I will try that . Thank you , it's worth a try as you say . 

• Posted

Also,

I spoke with a friend from Columbia who eats golden berries.

It an anti inflam and has a lot of probiotics. They say it's a super fruit. So I bought some a tried it. And it has helped me. I have very little gas and bubbles . So if you can get it try it smile

• Posted

I think any age as people on here at school and pensioners too and when my doc diagnosed me I thought am I not too old for that stuff but apparently you are never too old. I see people who say just had this for the first time and wish that was me because as most people know I had to take a year off work due to illness but then I read the accounts of those at school with it and makes me think I should just accept it. I could not imagine being as ill as I was at school or university. It is bad enough now. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the information astrozombie it's not a nice illnesses but hope they can sort me out soon .  

• Posted

I hope they can. I have come to terms with having it forever now. Luckily I am with a company which understands as today I did not make it in until 11am as I still get ill. Not as frequent but I do not think it will ever go away. You can always tell when I am very ill as I start posting my own thread. Last weekend I was so ill all weekend and I get sick with mine too which is rare as many IBS sufferers do not get this symptom but it happens and it is just draining. It is definitely not a nice illness. I have had so many near misses it is scary including running into a restaurant which was closed and sprinting up the stairs shouting sorry. It was either that or new trousers. I have had to do that a few times.
  • Posted

Yes. I was in my very late 50's when I developed IBS. 

Jan

• Posted

Hello Jan , thanks for the reply I thaught you only get it when you young , hope the doctors can help me sort it out it's not nice . 

How long did they take to identify your ibs , was your the same symptoms as mine 🤔

• Posted

I was diagnosed in the military. And had a sigmoidoscopy and they saw I had a spastic colon. But after the service I would get attacks now and again. I went on a high fiber and 0 white diet. And it was great until I ate soft shell crab and had a major reaction which weaken my gut and my IBS came back bad. So I am on the road to stability and so far so good. Hopefully my gut gets stronger and more healthy with time. I noticed that after having yogurt and toast I would get lots of gas and bubbling in my gut. So I decided to stop diary and wheat. Since I have done that my symptoms have been much less. Now trying the golden berries.
    • Posted

The military. That is hardcore though I have read articles by war reporters, Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger etc, out there and some of those stories would definitely induce IBS. I eat a high fibre no white diet. Glad to hear you are on the road to stability. I have long stable periods but then I can lose whole weekends through diarrhoea and sickness and shaking. Some say those symptoms are not even IBS though my doc disagrees. I eat yoghurt every day. I think it is good for me. No idea what golden berries are but I eat a lot of blueberries.
    • Posted

I had been experiencing symptoms for about 9 months before I went to the GP. Within 2 weeks of seeing him I had blood works and a colonoscopy, all of which were clear, hence the diagnosis of IBS. My GP said IBS is quite common as you get older, although I stronly believe mine was triggered by a particular medication I had been given. 

Jan

• Posted

You can get IBS at any age but it is more common in your teens.  I got IBS in my 40s.
    • Posted

I think I must have had a very resilent intestine to have avoided IBS up until now.
    • Posted

I definitely haven't now. When I have one attack it becomes embarrassing as I then have a period when I am ill all the time so last weekend ill all weekend, Thurs and Fri late into work due to illness and again this morning but then when my body calms down I will have to eat almonds and apricots to kickstart it. At the moment I am scared to eat anything phase. One doc even said I think the seasons can affect some people so change in weather temperature. No idea if true or he just wanted me out of his office.

• Posted

I was at my uncle's funeral yesterday, and my stomach has been fairly good. It has only been midly tender to touch.  My uncle was an alcoholic and his death was expected so it wasn't too much of a shock.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.