IBS Attack, what do i do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with chronic constipation when i was 12 and went through many phases of different medications wo try and keep me regular. only when i was 17 was i diagnosed with IBS. it has been a constant battle with different GP's to try and say to them nothing you tell me to do works. I am now 22, tried so many perscription laxitives painkillers and fibre drinks im almost at my wits end. i took things into my own hands as i felt as if i wasnt being properly listened to at me gp. all they would say is "eat more fibre" "drink more Water" i even went to a dietician and gave up when she said " i dont understand why if your doing all this nothings working?" so i gave up. if you dont feel like anyone takes you seriously why bother trying to listen?

i started a new diet where i ate the same breakfast lunch and dinner every day. i had yoghurt with fruit in the morning, 2 ryvita crackers with peanut butter with a handful of cherry tomatoes and a basic side salad for tea. this went hand in hand with 3km runs 5 days a week. i did this for about 3 months and lost weight felt great and was beaming.

This was 3 weeks ago. ever since then ive been battling with small attacks and when i have an attack i cant run. i know when an attack comes on because i feel bloated, i get a shooting pain that comes and gos down my right arm, i feel so constipated that i feel is if im more than ready to go to the toilet, but nothing moves. its as if i have a blockage. this will last a few days until i cant deal with it- i limit what i eat and drink mountains of water and do as much squats and my cramps in my stomach let me. 

2 days ago i went to the pharmacy and got ducolax to try and ease my discomfort. yesterday was absolutey horrible. from one extreme to the other and i was never off the toilet with horrible cramps and a stomach in knotts. feeling sick and having sweats. i was taking peppermint oil tea, ibuprofen and had my hotwater bottle all day.

had a bath last night and started to feel a bit better. now this morning ive had to phone into work sick again. i worry they dont actually understand how bad an ibs attack can be. my insides burn/ sting/ under my ribs up my back up my sides- which lets me know its not my stomach that is affected by my ibs. i feel nauseaus im so tired after sleeping all night i have a headache.

i just dont know what to do. does this happen to anyone else? is there anything anyone knows i can do to make myself better today as im starting to worry about my job but not only that my sanity and own health. what am i doing wrong?

what i wanted from my doctor / dietician was- do this. not " you have ibs, deal with it"

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura. Am sorry you have this problem, one thing that might help is to have less fruit - one piece a day at the most and always have it on it's own. No other food before or afer it two hours either side.
    • Posted

Just out of interest, what effect does too much fruit have ? I personally have one banana per day, mid morning, and it seems to keep me regular.
    • Posted

Vegetables are healthier than fruit because they contain les sugar. The less sugar you have - in ANY form - the better. And having it with other foods means it can ferment and incrrease - you want to make sure you do not bring on or make worse any yeast or candida infection. A totally non sugar diet would help with any illness or just the prevention of illness. Most ibs is caused by having too much of something lurking down there and the sugar feeds it.

Probiotics help but they must be live and not with sugar.

Bananas are ok but full of fat, there are better fruits to eat and better ways to stay regular. If you eat quite a good diet you would not need the banana as well. Fibre once a day would be better.

• Posted

Ok, suggestions for a better fruit ? I have a banana because I thought it would help with the fibre. I also have a small amount of all bran for brekky most mornings, but with almond milk.
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

I have had some of the same symptoms. Magnesium and a good strong probiotic works well for me. Magnesium makes the intestines contract. It's not like bulkers that add bulk to the stool tho I do take them too. As long as I take magnesium in the morning and nighttime, I stay pretty regular. If I don't, I go back to your symptoms. The thing is you have to find out what amount works for you. Start at 400-800 mg/daily. As long as your kidneys are fine, you can use up to 2,000 mg. but I wouldn't use that high a dose daily. It works quite well without all the side effects you get from Ducolax, Miralax and all those others. Best you can do!

• Posted

Laura, first I have to say if I eat eggs I,m constipated for days. Now buy yourself a home enema kit. Boil about a litre of water for 15min. Let it cool to just warm. Use this water in the enema bag. Follow directions received with enema kit. Try to hold water in rectum for 12min. Then evacuate bowel on toilet. Sit on loo for a while because this gives a good clear out. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Eggs make most people constipated but only if they do not have a good diet or eat dozens of them. Why do an enema for constipation when you can just eat some prunes?
    • Posted

I mentioned the eggs because not everyone knows they can be constipating. I am regular and eat a good varied diet. However if I eat one egg I get severely constipated. 
  • Posted

Hello Laura,

Like you, I started having terrible attacks of pain...where I was writhing on the floor in agony...at only age 13 or 14. I was too afraid to tell my parents. I suffered with this for years thinking that diarrhea was my problem. But what it was was constipation which I FINALLY figured out in my twenties. I realized then that I would get so blocked up that my bowels would have to cramp and cramp to get it all out!  I was literally terrified to have attacks and I never knew where or when they would hit. 

Finally I found the answer...and now I am as regular as clockwork every morning with never any pain. The answer is: magnesium citrate. It is a mineral...like calcium. There is no danger in taking too much because it is excreted like vitamin C. If you google 'scholarly paper magnesium' (can't attach a link or the post is pulled) you can read all about magnesium. And read more articles if you like. What I have learned is that after vitamin D...which we are all deficient in by December 31st (due to no exposure on our skin by the sun), magnesium in next. As you will read, there is a magnesium deficiency / anxiety and depression link. It makes me wonder if one day someone will announce that mental illness is so rampant due to magnesium deficiency!... Who knows?!... 

In any case, I have been taking magnesium citrate for its gentle laxative effect and not for any other reason. My naturopath/pharmacist advised me to take it. It also helps one sleep better. 

I was going to write, "IF it works...."  but I know it does work....so I should say, "WHEN it works, share this information with others, why don't you?"

If I add up the servings of fruits and vegetables you eat in a day, it sounds like only three...when you should have at least 5. So you can easily double that. That will also be good not only for your bowels but for your general health.

Also keep in mind that the amount of running you do takes its toll on your immune system. You could ask your natural health store for immune system boosters. My daughter was a runner and her coach told her that she had to take them. I have read about this AND my naturopath/pharmacist 'guru' also confirmed this. It's a great stress buster though...

Good luck, Laura!

• Posted

Hello Laura,

Since no-one knows the cause of IBS, we have to try and help ourselves. i have done this by taking Aloe Vera juice daily, which soothes the bowel. Also probiotic tablets which ensure the good bacteria are in the bowel. Both of these I buy from Higher Nature online. These are natural products, not drugs. When you have an attack, or feel one coming on(cramps) take Buscopan IBS, and carry them around with you,as you never know when an attack will start. If you know that you suffer from stress, or are a sensitive person, try having regular massages, and even massaging your tummy yourself. When you are having an attack remember your breathing, and try to relax, as panic sets in which makes it worse. Also regular yoga or pilates or any exercise will help. Don't let IBS rule your life, as there is no cure, you have to learn to manage it. Doctors can diagnose, but cannot cure it.

• Posted

Hi Helen, I agree there is no cure for IBS, but I have come the closest to it possible. As I wrote above, I had terrible, agonising bowel cramping pain from age 13, 14....and those intermittent attacks lasted for years and years.

The rule of thumb is to never let myself become constipated. As I wrote in the previous post, I take the mineral magnesium citrate (2 tabs...but if I eat rice, I take 3) and my morning BMs are 'smooth', easy, no pain EVER. No more worries about 'what if' I get an attack when visiting someone? 'What if' I am out shopping...where is the toilet?" 'What if' I am at a social gathering and I have to excuse myself for half an hour while I have debilitating bowel cramps and diarrhea in their bathroom? My life is FREE of all that...and all because of magnesium...which as it turns out:

1. we are all deficient in.

2. is excreted in the urine if there is too much...like vitamin C.

3. And which one can buy very cheaply over the counter at a pharmacy.

It is always good to ask a pharmacist if it interferes with one's prescription medications. That goes for any vitamin or mineral such as calcium or even vitamin C. 

My personal aim in life (at age 65) is to never take any medications ever...unless there are no other solutions such as lifestyle changes. So I do eat probably on average 8 servings of colourful vegetables per day...and with butter, garlic, onion bits etc.. (butter is no longer enemy...nor is surprisingly lard!) 

I think that IBS is a 21st century condition and reflective of how poorly we eat. We have an abundance of food...and yet our bodies are more deficient than ever. Our ancestors who tilled the soil, walked everywhere, never ate greasy or processed foods, only drank pure water or milk, breathed clean air, slept a well earned, deep, restorative sleep AND ate vegetables straight from their gardens likely never suffered from constipation or diarrhea issues. We have a lot to learn from our great grandparents... Lifestyle!

...and magnesium. Btw the soil is depleted of magnesium because of heavy pesticide use...which is what I have been reading lately on sites such as 'scholarly paper magnesium'.

I suggest you always do your own research on ANY drug, food, supplement that you take into your body. 

IBS can be a thing of the past. Just drink more water, eat more veggies and most important of all, take your magnesium citrate tablets every night at bedtime. (THey also help you relax sleep well.)

Good luck!

• Posted

Hey, last year around march I had operation getting my appendix removed ... because once I woke up and I had bad pain in my right lower side so they thought it's my appendix which they removed ... after my surgery I felt better and they said they found cyst in my stomach with they have removed. Then October 2016 I sat down in my living room and just had bad cramps I just had milk and this was around 9pm. So I decided to go to sleep and everything will be fine .. then I wake up in the middle of the night rushing to the bath room with severe diarrhoea and Constant vomiting. I was crying all night I thought It was good poisoning. So next morning I'm still vomiting and I didn't eat nothing ... this kept going on for 3 months and I I couldn't go college anymore because of the pain .. I wading bed all day for 3 months couldn't move or speak because of the pain. I thought I was going to die... I was rushed to hospital and they say they cannot help me and they refuse to keep me in and see what the problem is.... so then I gave up .. i didn't eat and i lost a lot a lot of Weight I couldn't recognise my self ...so around December I went to Germany so I could see doctors and they were taking more action into this case ... I couldn't stay long because I had to come back to the uk be dude of work... I felt better in Germany and didn't have pains anymore and I started eating ... I was really active before this happened I use to go gym everyday and do squats ... I came back to the U.K. In January 2017 as soon as I arrived I had severe pains again and cried again .. few days gone by I was fine only had few cramps but it wasn't too serious I was eating again and put on weight ... but now I am 18 and it has begun again 4 days I'm in bed and I'm trying my best to eat but I'm crying because I can't live like this anymore I tried committing suicide ... I've been throwing up and there was blood ... which is went to the doctor and he said it's fine ... I really don't know what to do anymore my stomach hurts bad and i could feel my intestine moving being is the spasm ... and when I eat I feel like I haven't eaten and my stomach is rumbling which is weird ... I have given up on doctors they don't help I'm always tired and want to sleep I'm really weak and I don't think I am able to work anymore but my manager doesn't care but they don't know how an IBS attack is ... everyday I take my warm water bottle and put it on my stomach and helps me abit ... I think there's nothing really we can do ... but I'm going next week back to Germany and I will get more examination.

• Posted

Hi Laura

Maybe try the fodmap diet. It can be quite extreme but it can have great effects

Hope all goes well

• Posted

Hello Fellow IBS Suffers,

I have suffered from IBS my entire life!  My mom talks about the doctor giving me medication as young as 2 years old to help me go potty, I suffer from IBS-C.  I have always heard to: drink more water, eat more fiber, exercise more, eat raw veggies, take fiber supplements, etc.  There was a time that I drank so much water I always felt sick to my stomach.  I won't make you read all the details of my journey, I'm going right to the place that will bring you relief!  Heather's Help for IBS,  This site saved me!  Heather has IBS and is not a doctor, but is indorsed by many doctor's, including my Gastroenterologist.  Heather shows you what foods to eat and which ones to stay away from and has many IBS safe recipes that taste amazing.  After a recent stay in the hospital because of a horrible attack, I found Heather's website.  I can honestly say that this is the first time in many years that I can remember eating without it hurting! 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.