IBS bloating

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with IBS at the end of last year. I suffer with a severe cramps in my stomach and was prescribed antispasmodics. Since I've started taking them the cramps have reduced. I have also had a problem with bloating, usually in the evening and I understand this is pretty common.

However, I have had a very bloated stomach for 9 days now and I'm getting worried. My IBS is thought to be stress/anxiety linked as I could not find any food links. I have been referred for counselling and am waiting for the appointment to come through.

I exercise, swimming and running, about 5 times per week, I eat healthily, I don't drink fizzy drinks, fruit juice or caffeine. I don't smoke and I don't drink very much.

My stomach is making me utterly miserable. I can't wear any of my normal clothes as they are all too tight at the waist. I also feel really uncomfortable and constantly worry about needing the toilet. I don't know if 9 days is normal for bloating or if I should go back to the gp.? I don't want to waste both our time.

Has anyone else had bloating lasting this long and is there anything I can do to help reduce it? I have a reflexologist appointment for next week. I'm willing to try anything..

Thanks for reading.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Joanne

I am disabled with COPD/stroke/heart attack and also have IBS. Over the past 2 years I have doubled my weight through inactivity, but have a bloated stomach all the time. It is depressing as, like you, I cannot wear my favourite clothes etc. and everything is tight, I feel uncomfortable and look about 10 months pregnant..!!

However, as you are active and eat healthily, I'd suggest going back to your GP. A few on this site recommend natural wheat and bran and also Aloe Vera Gel or Juice to make things regular and they have some success. I've started on the natural bran/sultana with banana and semi skimmed milk, which worked somewhat yesterday. Today I haven't yet had breakfast. I haven't yet tried the Aloe Vera Juice, as I am on so much medication for other things, think I might wait until I see my GP (I was advised this by Holland & Barrett where I bought it) I have also had two ultra sound scans which have shown nothing untoward. Sorry I can't help you more, but let's know how the reflexology goes.

Kind regards, Val.

• Posted

Val, thanks for reading my suggestion and trying natural bran. I have recommended it to many sufferers, but none have persevered. Why not is a mystery to me. It is important to make it a daily priority. Your digestive system needs to settle into a new rhythm, instead of the stop-start nature of ibs. I am convinced that ibs is one of the consequences of a diet which is high in processed foods, and eating patterns which include skipping meals altogether, especially breakfast. So your system stops and starts, and as I undersand it, sometimes starts in reverse, causing bloating and pain. Bran provides the constant and reliable workload that your system is designed for. Good luck, and keep us posted.
  • Posted

Thanks Val. I will look into the things you have suggested and will let you know if the reflexology helps. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Peter,

I agree completely with what you are saying. If I skip meals, things become worse and I get gastric reflux which is extremely painful. So even though I have gone down with a bad sore throat, I am persevering with the bran, fruit (non citrus) and eating regular small meals of good quality food.

Regards, Val.

To Joanne, thanks for your reply and input. Regards, Val.

• Posted

I have suffering from IBS for bout 3 years and having trying all sorts of medications and diets but to no avail . This time I have finally got cured in merely a span of bout 1 month...
  • Posted

Hi Dere Would you like to tell us how?

Regards, Val.

• Posted

I took Unani medicine, they are herbal medications which fixed my GI disorder and its related symptoms once and for all. I was quite surprised by the speed of recovery I had from these medications, although I had to follow a strick diet for that. I am still taking the medications but 90 percent of the symptoms are eradicated and I am absolutely certain that there won't be any relapse.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am an American who has suffered withI IBS symptoms for OVER 30 years until more recently. My pants waist sometimes would change by 4 inches and stay that way for days. It was necessary to have two sets of clothes. My doctors had every test and scope run. Biopsies of my large and small intestines. Over the years my IBS has been blamed on stress, not enough fiber in my diet etc.

two years ago, I was suffering from constant bloating and gastric reflux where I

would wake up with acid in my throat not being able to breathe. I had tried all types of antacids prescribed as well as over the counter ones with little success. Recently, my gastroenterologist told me he thought I had some type of food allergy or sensitivity after a recent endoscopy with all the results negative. After going to another MD he discovered through blood tests that I had a high food sensitivity to wheat and lactose. Since eliminating wheat, Lactose, and adding more raw foods in my diet and taking a probiotic my IBS has ended. He explained to me that people with a northern European background have a 65% chance of some type of food sensitivity to wheat, gluten, caisson a milk protein, lactose, and soy. He also said there is a growing number of people having allergies to these products since more agricultural products are GMO. Perhaps you should look into this. My wife has just started not eating wheat in anything since she saw what it did for me. Although she never suffered from IBS, She has noticed she is never bloated after eating anymore. There are plenty of wheat/ gluten free products on the market. The probiotics helped greatly in getting my bowel balanced again. It's wonderful not to have bloating and horrible bowel movements all the time.

Good luck. I never would have thought this would be gone.

CK

• Posted

Captkirk - thank you for your comment. You have inspired me to give it a go. I really am willing to try anything. My stomach has now been bloated for 2 weeks. I'm uncomfortable and miserable. I will check out the gluten free products. I am taking probiotics (in tablet form). Thanks again for your comment and I'm pleased you have had some release from the IBS symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am new here hello.I was diagnosed with Crohns disease over 10 years ago. My symptoms were bleeding,bloating,cramps,headaches, continual tiredness and lack of sleep.

My weight went from 11st 7lb to 8st 3lb.

The lead surgeon at the QE in Birmingham was sure that he would take out my large intestine one day.

This was suggestion was ridiculous as the recovery time would be over 3months and I couldn’t take that much time off.

None of the drugs offered made any difference including Azothyaprin and anti inflammatories. In fact they made me worse and also compromised my breathing .

So I searched and searched for the answer.

Now this is my experience and it may be different for you but here is my opinion for what its worth. I advise you to check for yourself.

It must be clearly stated that doctors do not know how bodies really work. We assume that they do but that is not true. Remember that they get much of their knowledge from drug companies who have a vested interest in selling something to some one needy. Check out the “Cochrane Collaboration” on UTube and you will see what I mean.

So step one: keep the doctor informed of your progress but forget about a prescription unless it for an anti biotic and you are on deaths door.

Step two: Find a well respected Reflexologist who can properly diagnose your problem.

I can give you a name if you wish.

As a result of this I found that I was gluten, dairy, coffee, chocolate and red wine intolerant. This was on Jan 14th 2013.

Since then I have put on 25 lb and have returned to my normal muscular self. My friends are commenting on how well I look.

A note here: eating the TINIEST part of something you are intolerant to can have catastrophic effects. Witness peanut allergies.

I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi,

regarding bloating: In my case it was trapped wind.

To combat this i took Fennel tea and capsules. Very cheap and quite effective.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for all the comments. Just an update from me really. My stomach is still bloated, in fact today is the worst it has been. It actually feels like it's going to pop. It feels tender to touch and it aches. I went to see a reflexologist on Thursday. She said that my stomach muscles from my chest down were very tight and she released them but she couldn't find anything specifically wrong apart from other non-related issues (knee and ear). I have made another appointment with my gp as I just don't think 3 weeks with a severely swollen stomach is right. Something is causing it. I am willing to go wheat/gluten free but I want my gp to be aware so it can be monitored. I'm worried there is something other than IBS going on.
    • Posted

Just checking in.. Having the same issues and was wondering if you've figured it out? Did you ever try the gluten free diet?
    • Posted

Hi Joanne.

Check out Pelvicpainhelp, you will be amazed with the help there. People think pelvic is just the woman bits but its actuall the core of everyone and is very important.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

Hi Joanne. I am currently having this same issue and was wondering what came of yours in the end? It's really stressing me out. Over a month of constant bloating now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.