IBS, Bowel Cancer, Chron's, Gastritis??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

I am a 23 year old, female looking for some guidance/reassurance.

I've always been fairly healthy but I have been in constant contact with my doctor for 7months now.

I started having sharp pains that appeared to be starting in my abdomen and working up my chest. This began a process of trial and error.

Naproxen (Chest Wall Strain) - Failed

Omeprazole (Gastritis) - Failed

Blood Tests - Fine

Chest X-Ray - Fine

I was then given a spirometry for asthma, although my doctor was sure that was not the problem, and it turned out I was indeed asthmatic. That led us off course for a little believing that this was the cause of my pain. However after getting on well with my inhalers I noticed that the pain in my abdomen was still present. I could go days feeling fine and then other days I would be crippled. The trial and error process began again.

Zantac (Gastritis) - Failed

Lansoprazole (Gastritis) - Failed

Breath Test (Helicobacter) - Negative

Blood Test (Celiac) - Negative

During this time I ended up in A&E on nights that my pain was so severe I could barely walk to receive strong painkillers. When it's been at its worse I can be in pain for anything between a few days to 3 weeks. I've had about 3 spells of this severe pain over the 7 months. On a day to day basis I get on fine with taking tablets but can't remember the last time I felt fit and healthy.

Some of my other symptoms include losing 1 stone and 12 Ibs in the past 3/4months without any form of dieting and doesn't seem to be slowing down at all, either jet black stools or extremely loose, sometimes worm like stools. I can't remember the last time I went to the toilet and thought yeah that's quite normal. I often feel bloated and although my severe pains don't occur daily I live in pretty much constant discomfort.

From what I can tell no food or drink seems to aggravate my pains further.

I am now being sent for an ultasound next week to check my gallbladder and an endoscopy (minimum 12 week wait I was told, although my doctor has contacted my new gastro consultant to speed this up but still to hear back).

I'm really only wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. From my own research on the internet I only seem to be scaring myself. I think its the possible 12 week wait for my endoscopy before I get any answers that is really frustrating me. 

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be great.

Many thanks smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Banana,

Your symptoms could be anyone of a number of things i.e. gallbladder stones, kidney stones, stones in the bile duct which is easily remedied once diagnosed.

Have you kept a food diary? I would do this to definitely rule out that the cause is certain food.  Take the diary with you to your doc/hosp appointment and show them your food diary. Write down what you eat, time, date  and when your pain occurs, Something may emerge from the diary. Other than that I would be patient and wait for your appointment I know the waiting time to be seen these days is diabolical...thats the NHS for you!....let us know how you get on...best wishes..

• Posted

Hi Lilian.

No I kept one for a short while back, about 6months ago, but it wasn't something I kept up. I should probably start that again!

Thank you smile Will do!

• Posted

Hello Banana, I haven't experienced anything like what you are sadly experiencing and I am not medically qualified but would your dr not arrange for you to have a CT or MRI? I think if it were me, if I felt the need to go to A and E again, I would request that they do some sort of imaging. I would also be on the phone badgering the Endoscopy unit for a cancelation and to the new Consultants secretary for an appointment as soon as possible. I would let them know too that I would be happy to be contacted if any cancelations arise. I am sorry you are experiencing this and I hope you find an answer and treatment for this very soon. 
    • Posted

Hi Deb, I think if nothing appears from ultrasound or endoscopy I might see about a scan. I'm just always afraid of coming across a drama queen. I know there's a lot of people worse off than me. 

I phoned two weeks ago but the woman was extremely blunt hence the reason why I got in touch with my GP. Phoning about cancellations sounds like a good idea. Thanks smile

• Posted

Please don't ever worry about coming across as a drama queen. This is your health, your life; you must fight for it, no one else will. Be as assertive as you can and push and push. Remember too that you can be seen anywhere, you don't have to be seen at your local hospital so if there is another hospital around that can do it sooner, ask to be referred to that one. And if the pain gets real bad again resulting in another visit to A and E tell them you are not leaving until they can give you a reason why you are experiencing what you are. 

I hope you get some answers soon.

take care. 

• Posted

I really empathise with you why didn't your Dr send you as Urgent my Doctor did and I was seen in under two weeks the tests were clear apart from some inflammation the two biopsis they took were clear. Mind you since then my episodes of dierrhea have gotten worse I've been back to my Dr whose prescribed Loperamide 4 days in and not much difference. I'm supposed to be going away next week Turkey & Tinsel break but how can I go like this really getting fed up with the situation I have no control over my body and barely any warning, can't live the rest of my life sitting on the toilet!!! The only good point is I don't have pain don't know how you survive. Good luck any way.KT47
    • Posted

Really? When I phoned my Dr to say about my referral and the wait time she did seem surprised so I'm hoping that it's just been a mistake. I'm getting my ultrasound done at my local hospital and it was arranged in no time at all. Its the referral for my endoscopy that seems to be holding things up. 

Sorry to hear that! It is a nightmare. I think just the not knowing and the waiting about is enough to drive you insane!

Really hope you enjoy you're break though smile 

• Posted

Hi Banana,

Thanx for your reply.  I am waiting for an ultrasound scan due to suspected kidney stones.  The waiting list was five months. I got in touch with Ultrasound dept at the local hosp., and I was told by the chap I spoke to to ask my

doc to send an 'expedite' letter...this apparently will speed things up. The Ultrasound scan department has the letter and it is with the consultant...hopefully I will hear soon!!...perhaps your doc could do this..no harm in enquiring..about that and cancellations....best wishes..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.