IBS C

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i am suspected to have IBS C, i have had the issue for around 6 years now. From what i have read i don't have the severe symptoms that others seem to have, but my symptoms are bad enough that they can cause me to be in a lot of pain occasionally and disrupt everything i do. 

I have tried most of the generic recommendations in terms of supplements, removal of things like caffiene, tea, fizzy drinks and processed food from the diet. My diet has always been well balanced and for the past five months i have only really eaten Spinach, Brown rice, Sweet potato, Quinoa and oats as the main parts of my meals whilst excluding almost completely wheat, glutten and milk. I have done a 4 week trial of the fodmap diet but experienced no changes from this.

I generally eat small meals 3 a day sometimes with a small snack, drink enough fluids etc. i'm working on eating slower and reducing stress, which i tend to get 

My main symptoms 

constipation/hard impacted stools

excessive bloating after meals

bloating after not eating for roughly 5 hours

occasionally stomach cramps 

incomplete emptying of bowels 

I am currently looking to experiment with bringing back wheat, glutten and diary foods back into my diet and using a very high potency probiotic. I am also considering getting a comprehensive stool test done, and a breath test to check for intolerances but i am not sure about these options. 

I am looking for someone who has similar symptoms to me and has experienced success with a method of some kind any recommendations would also be really appreciated. 

Sorry for the long message and thanks smile

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi fredd, I too have ibs c but have already been through the same same as you. My diet is limited compared to you. I can't have grains, rice or anything tiny as it sticks and causes lots of pain, certain veg is out and I now can't have much fruit all on top of being vegetarian! Life is simple in terms of what I can eat but I now have panic attacks if I'm asked to try anything else. I have to take a bowel softener every few days otherwise everything bungs up and the pain becomes crippling! I am now going to try a new foodstuff on top of all the vitamins and minerals to boost my diet. If you can tolerate milk I have been advised by someone on here funnily enough to try Kefir - it's an immunity milk that is meant to help I will try it but if it's not good I'll go back to my yogurts. Good luck it's hard but you have to find what works for you, I suffer for some of the things I now have but this year finally got to go abroad as I kept my diet the same and managed!

• Posted

Hi sam thanks for your reply right that is difficult, do you find that following that diet has a significant effect on your symptoms? 

I have heard of Kefir but at the moment i am still excluding milk and drink almond milk, i am not really sure if i'm sensitive to it or not. Yer it's definently hard because it's difficult to see what exactly is causing these symptoms, patience is not something i am great at but i am working on it. It's great to hear that you have found something that works for you. 

• Posted

To Fred and Meg

i have  to use laxatives as i tried all  other remedies and still do.

Peucaloprride gave me more pain...i have little sleep cos of wind and griping!

I make my own Kefir with Rice or Alnond milk.

Look at AGMD web for gut motility forum.

• Posted

Hi Fredd, as obvious as it may sound when you tried the FODMAP diet did anyone tell you how to reintroduce the foods you'd cut out? It's the bit you seem to have missed out. Try to get to see a dietitian. You shouldn't be left to do this alone. I'd see about some advice anyway as you seem to be needing some help. I wish you luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.