IBS: C

Posted , 6 users are following.

If I don't have a movement everyday I get nervous that I'm going to get constipated. I'll increase fiber or have dried fruit in the hopes that it'll do something. Sometimes I get so nervous that I don't want to go to sleep till I've had one. Though I'm sure this only exacerbates issues.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, worrying will only make things worse, there's a strong relationship between the Brain and Gut/digestive system, you don't have to have a bowel movement everyday, 3 times a week is considered normal, but probably anything is normal if it works for you.

• Posted

I'm more nervous that it will turn in to constipation I guess. which has been my dominant issue this flare up and I don't want to take laxatives because they also push to the other extreme.

• Posted

Hi ryn, be really careful just increasing fibre it may not be the best way to stop your bowel feeling so bunged up. You could speak to a dietitian, they may give you some decent advice.

• Posted

getting nervous will set your ibs off to and will feel worse ..do you take something before bed ?

• Posted

I have been trying to have 3 prunes in the AM and 3 in the PM before bed, which was helping before but I seem to need more like 10-15 during this flare up.

• Posted

i am the same way fiber and stool softeners help me. now i ise MIRILAX AND A PERSCRIPTION CALLED Linzess they guarantee a bowl movement. if you take MAGNEZIUM suplements thats also helps

• Posted

I had the same problem pre diagnosis. Simply increase your fibre intake as you are doing or try laxative medication. Try distraction techniques such as a hobby or light exercise to take your mind off your bowel. Exercise is very good for keeping your bowel moving. Try to stay as calm as possible which will help to manage your symptoms.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS a couple years ago. laxative dependence scares me though. I took half a cup of senna yea laxative over the weekend cause I had the same problem and have been trying to stay away from laxatives in general.

Monday went so well. I'm so tired of the daily shifts.

• Posted

Occasional laxatives won't cause dependance. I took laxatives for only one week and it did help. I stopped them when I started getting loose stools and moved onto fruit to make my bowel work which also worked. I did not become dependant on laxatives. Don't be afraid to try them if you really have to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.