IBS-C Medication struggle

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve struggled with IBS-C for a number of years now and have been taking Movicol to help me go.

Unfortunately the side effects of bloating and very smelly wind have made me reluctant to take it as regularly as I should.

And if I don’t take it, I don’t go!

Any suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated, thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What sort of foods do you eat? You could have a food intolerance. Have you cut certain food groups out of you diet like dairy or wheat for a couple of weeks to see if it helps your symptoms?
  • Posted

IBS Diet Plan

Since IBS is a condition defined by its symptoms, there’s no specific diagnosis. Making dietary modifications is perhaps the major step in helping IBS patients find symptom relief and controlling IBS long-term. It’s important to keep a diary, either written or electronic while experimenting with different dietary restrictions. Record what you eat and whether you have any symptoms after consuming those foods. An IBS diet plan is not one-size-fits-all, and what causes discomfort in one person may not cause symptoms in another.

Foods to Avoid with IBS

Your IBS Diet Should Exclude Gas-Producing Foods

Foods that are difficult to digest result in excess gas production and that’s a serious problem for an IBS patient. Removing gas-producing foods from your diet can help you avoid IBS flare-ups and reduce symptoms. Exclude the following gas-producing foods from your diet.

Lactose Avoidance - IBS Diet

Lactose is another huge gas trigger and may also cause nausea. When you’re on the IBS diet, you must avoid dairy products containing lactose, whether the item in question is milk, yogurt, cheese, or ice cream.

Low-FODMAP Diet

FODMAP is an acronym that stands for “Fermentable Oligosaccharides,  Disaccharides, Mono-saccharides, and Polyols.” The IBS diet is low in these food groups, which includes foods containing lactose (Disaccharides), fructose from fruits and vegetables (Mono-saccharines), and sugar alcohols (Polyols).

The IBS Diet Avoids Gluten 

People with IBS are more likely than the general population to have celiac disease.[1] This probably results from a genetic predisposition. When those with celiac disease consume any type of glutena protein found in wheat, barley, and ryetheir bodies respond with an autoimmune attack on the small intestine. Over time, this response damages the villi, the small projections found in the lining of the small intestine. Damaged villi cannot absorb nutrients efficiently. Since Celiac disease is genetic, if you have a close relative with the disease, your odds are much higher that you will develop this autoimmune response. The IBS diet removes all forms of gluten so as not to trigger this destructive response in susceptible IBS patients.

Implement Fiber and Probiotics into Your IBS Diet Plan

Sufficient fiber intake can ease or prevent IBS symptoms, especially constipation. The best type of fiber for treating IBS is water-soluble psyllium, also known as ispaghula. Insoluble fiber, such as bran, is not as effective in IBS symptom relief. Daily consumption of 20 grams of psyllium in the diet can help improve symptoms and quality of life.

Background: I work for a company at DrFormulas nutritional supplements, the producer of Nexabiotic Probiotics.

• Posted

I take lots of fruit such as oranges or prune juice as an alternative.
  • Posted

I tried Movicol for my IBS and I did not experience bloating or smelly gas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.