ibs causes

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I was diagnosed with IBS three weeks ago. I have seen my Doctor twice. It is very difficult in my Health Centre to have the same doctor. I have had a very bad time with IBS and looking for some help to cope with this.

I saw my doctor on the second occasion. She thought I was taking Luxido too many times and to reduce it to one every two days. I was also prescribed Mebervine to take 20 minutes before meals.

I do suffer from stress. The problem I am having is very loose stools like diarrhoea and smell really bad despite limiting the Luxido. After an episode like this and I have been on the toilet for a long time. I am absolutely exhausted and have to go to bed. I read somewhere that the bowel can pass a small stool and then very loose stools and then a hard stool. I think it is called overloading. I wonder if anyone can help. I am not sure if it is the Mebervine causing the problem or stress. Also I do not know what foods to eat as I have always had constipation which was ok as I knew to have high fibre food. If this is a different kind of IBS I am not sure what I should eat and what would aggravate the situation. I know stress is one cause but I would be grateful if some one could help with this problem and has anyone had this type of IBS. I have to see my doctor in a week's time and I have to have a colonoscopy. I also suffer from Barrett,s Oesophagitis and acid reflux and I am on Omeprazole.

I would be grateful for any help please

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Jeanette, unfortunately the cause of IBS is not known. But I can say from experience that stress is a predominant factor. Having had to deal with this on and off for better than 60 years I certainly know your situation. The colonoscopy is a good idea if nothing else than to ease your mind. In all liklihood you will be perfectly normal in every way and will be advised further ways to deal with the debilitating effects of IBS. Fortunately it comes and goes and you can be symptom free for years on end before another bout. As to Omeorazole all PPI's have side effects that should be considered. Furthermore look into managing stress and diet.

Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Dear James thank you for your reply. I am trying to reduce my stress levels and hopefully find the right diet will be excellent. I was glad to hear that it can come and go because it is not very pleasant.

Thank you again for your reply.

• Posted

I have a feeling there is a correlation between omeprazole, which I have been on for many years, off and on, and IBS.  I have just occastional flare ups of the IBS with constipation.  Nothing in my diet seems to be a trigger, but I think that omeprazole keeps us from having the good kind of bacteria which normal stomach acid helps us to have.  I am determined to get on a good probiotic and some herbals said to help our internal machine work better.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you Julie. I remember quite a while ago a doctor asked if I was having diarrhoea as I was on a high dose of Omeprazole as he said it can cause this. I have Barrett's Oesophagitis and gastric acid reflux but I will certainly ask my doctor when I see her.

Thank you for replying. I had forgotten about Omeprazole side effects

• Posted

Look at the low fodmap diet and try a food diary to see if any food upsets you.  Stop Mebeverine for few days to see if you feel better.  Mebeverine is very bad for IBS.  I had to stop them after a couple of days and then throw them out.  I couldn't even finish the first slide of tablets.  Many cannot tolerate this medication.

Stress makes IBS worse.  When I took Mebeverine, I started stressing about my daily worsening symptoms niot realising that I was intolerant to the medicatiion. Try Buscopan instead.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. I didn't realise Mebeverine was bad for IBS. I will stop it for a few days. I have Buscopan which I have used. It certainly helps the cramps. It would be great if this was the reason for the bad patch I am going through at the moment.

Thank you again.

• Posted

My chemist told me Mebeeverine was very good.  However, I rarely hear of  anyone who has had a good experience with it.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have stopped Mebeverine and feel a lot better.

• Posted

Hi jeanette, do not take mebeveribne it made me ibs 10 times as bad. I take ranitidine for the acid and kolanticin gel for spasms. My stress levels are normally high so I've got used to it. I take 1 laxido every few days, that's it!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have stopped the Mebeverine and feel a lot better. Will take Luxido.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi, causes of IBS, from my experience it could be a multitude of things, I have a redundant colon which I think is relevant to my problems, but saying that it might be due to courses of antibiotics in the passed, I all so have rheumatoid arthritis which could be linked, them there's stress, have you tried enteric coated peppermint capsules?, Probiotics?, etc, a low fodmap diet seems to help me.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Martin. I have stopped the Mebeverine and feel better. I have made a note of what you suggested and I will try them.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi again, somethings I am eating, sourdough white bread, chia seeds are said to very good for you massive high in fibre I eat them, soak them first in water they go glutinous, I stick to a low fodmap diet more or less, check out sourdough bread and chia seeds online loads of info also probiotics, have you had H pylori test?, and coeliac test?.
    • Posted

Thank you again. I have never had any of these tests. Will certainly look for the things you have mentioned.

Thank you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.