IBS, Celiac or just Anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone!

I'm posting here just to hopefully get some thoughts from those that are probably going through the same thing as myself somewhat. It might turn into a bit of an essay but I'll do my very best to keep things as brief and easy to read as possible.

Just to start, I'm a 33 year old British bloke. 6'3 and at a healthy enough weight, 14 stone. For the last couple of years I've suddenly had digestive issues that really get me down, especially when I think back to just a few years ago when I could basically eat what I wanted, when I wanted, and didn't have any issues.

So my main symptoms are indigestion, belching (I have constant wind!), constant stomach grumbling, nausea most days and also constipation with occasional soft stool, usually as soon as I wake up in the morning. I also have some problems outside of that including what seems to be constant inflammation in my ribs and sternum area, joint pain and really dry skin and constant muscle twitching, the latter which has started over the last few weeks only. In regards to my stools, they are often pebble shaped and seem greasy/oily, but now and again I will pass loose stools that smell like nothing on earth. It's a foul smell but doesn't actually smell like a stool if that make sense.

Now, admittedly I have suffered with generalized anxiety for the last couple of years, and understand that may have something or even a lot to do with it. I have very little exercise as I have lived like a recluse for those couple of years because of anxiety, and I know I wont be doing myself any favors. But something in the back of my mind is telling me that I'm not causing my own symptoms and that they are caused by something currently that hasn't been diagnosed. 

I know that anxiety can make symptoms worse, as can a lack of exercise, but they surely can't be the actual reason for my problems? Does it sound like a typical case of IBS? Is Celiac Disease possible? I contemplated going on a gluten free diet on more than one occasion, but it's so damn expensive! Granted, I haven't lost weight which seems to be a common symptom which seems to be a common complain with anyone that is Celiac. Your thoughts and opinion would be very much appreciated, so I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers! Ty

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi HeylmTyler, I think having read what I just have I think you could have IBS but you'll need a doctor's diagnosis. I know it's embarrassing to see a doctor and males are worse than women at going to see a doctor but if you feel there is something wrong, either you want to rule out anything serious or know what is wrong. Less men are diagnosed with IBS than women but it's not unheard of and it may not even be that. Just see someone.

• Posted

Hi, it could be IBS, it could be gall stones. Everyone has different symptoms. Definitely go to your doctor to have it checked out. My IBS is worse when I am stressed, but it could be your body telling you to eat better.

Claire

• Posted

Hi! I have most of the symptoms that you have with the exception of the joint pain and dry skin. But I literally have every other symptom you listed. I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago and have recently gone through many blood tests, scans, etc and they aren't finding anything different. I'm positive that my anxiety makes my symptoms worse. Anxiety and the digestive system are definitely linked. I also just found out through testing that I am allergic to wheat. I'm supposed to go on a gluten free diet but it's so hard. I'm told that I will feel 100 percent better. Definitely go to the doctor and have them figure out what's going on. IBS symptoms can also be the same as other illnesses. 

• Posted

My Doctor is pretty useless. Or at least it feels like he doesn't really listen to me when I talk to him. He knows I have really bad anxiety and he seems to think everything that I say all of my symptoms, are because of myself and mindset. That may be true to a degree, but so far the only proper test I've had done in 2 years is a barium swallow. I will be going for my follow up soon but have already been told that food was going down okay. My blood tests have always come back fine but that will only show so many things? My Doctor labelled me with Dyspepsia many months ago and gave me acid reducing tablets despite me having no tests to actually check if I have too much acid in my stomach. It's infuriating.

The more I Google and read articles the more I am realising though that anxiety and basically your lifestyle really can cause havoc with your digestive system. I'd just like to be able to rule out other serious things first.

• Posted

Sorry to jump in and answer in some way, change doctor or ask for a second opinion. If that doesn't work write to the practice manager.

• Posted

Sounds like IBS.  See your doctor again for tests and diagnosis.   It is important to rule other things out.. Your doctor gave you antacids to see how you responded to them. If they helped, that would indicate acid reflux.  Sometimes, doctors try you out on medication to help them reach a diagnosis.  This approach is less stressful and invasive than tests and more rewarding if it finds the cause.
  • Posted

I agree with Sam. Go to a different doctor and get a second opinion. 
  • Posted

The thing with Coeliac disease is it’s got very similar symptoms to IBS, (I have both unfortunately), if you are planning on going back to your doctor to get tested, please make sure you are eating gluten 6 weeks prior to any tests done for Coeliac disease, otherwise your body won’t make the antibodies which diagnose the disease. 

Looking at what you’ve said though, it does look more like IBS but you do need a doctors diagnosis to be sure.  If you don’t think your doctor is ‘on the ball’ you should get a second opinion from another doctor.  Stress can make IBS worse so one way or another you need to get help.  By the way, not all Coeliacs lose weight, it’s more to do with not being able to get nutrition from your food, which goes on to cause deficiencies, which brings with it it’s own problems.  

• Posted

The reason why I mentioned Celiac disease is because I read some symptoms outside of digestive issues, ones that I also suffer with, namely joint pain (inflammation) and constant headaches, headaches that I've always attributed to sinus problems or allergies. I also get a lot of random canker sores in mouth which I'm sure I read somewhere can be a sign of Celiac disease. But I dont really suffer with Diarrhoea at all even though now and again my stools will suddenly go from being pebble shaped to something much larger and softer, but certainly not into a liquid, and I think that is common with anyone that has a gluten intolerance?

Really appreciate the replies so far anyway people! It's always good to hear the thoughts and opinions from others.

• Posted

I suffered frequently with mouth ulcers (cancer sores), before being diagnosed, so yes, it’s possible you may have it. I also was very anaemic and suffered from very low ferritin levels and low vitamin d, and general malnutrition, because I wasn’t absorbing nutrients from my food, even though I ate well. (Nor was I absorbing medication).  I would like to point out though, that people with Coeliac disease don’t always have the same symptoms, they can vary a lot. Some people don’t even have any symptoms, (which can be dangerous, as those people won’t know if they’ve been “glutened” and exposing yourself to gluten still damages the villi in the gut whether you get outward symptoms or not. Untreated Coeliac disease can cause other autoimmune diseases, also osteoporosis and even cancer, so it’s important to avoid gluten at all cost if you have it); so you need to be tested, and yes, it is expensive following a gluten free diet, but it’s preferable to the other problems it causes if you don’t follow a gluten free diet. I have arthritis too, but I’m not sure I can attribute it to Coeliac disease or not, as I also suffer with hyper mobility which causes early on-set arthritis. If you need any help in discussing any of your issues with your doctor, you could contact Coeliac UK, who will give you good advice. Coeliac UK actually advise doctors and educate them, not the other way round.  The stress of wondering will probably make your symptoms worse, so it’s better to get it checked out. Another thing to point out, there is a form of the disease called Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) where rashes occur around elbows, knees, shoulders, face, buttocks etc., which can blister; people with DH also have to follow a gluten free diet, it’s still Coeliac disease, it just manifests in a different way.  You said you have dry skin, but didn’t mention any rashes.  I hope this information is of some help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.