Ibs constipation and diarrhea

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello- I posted on here a few weeks ago and everyone was so lovely and helpful. I'm 18 years old and am being investigated for IBS originally it was for diarrhea type as I would get really bad pain and need the toilet. But now after having weeks of loose stools and no normal ones- now find myself constipated ad I don't know what to I've been drinking endless amounts of water, eating healthy. Is it normal to have alternating diarreah and constipation with IBS I feel like I Physically can't go to the toilet like it's blocked (sorry for info) I am just finishing up with exams and my doctor keeps saying it is stress for the reason I haven't had a normal bowel movement in so long but something at the back of my head tells me it's something worse. I have also been checking for blood and on a few occasions I can see bright red soy stool but I don't know if it is blood or if it's tomatoes or pepper I'm seeing- I do think I suffer from anxiety as every month I seem to worry about something with my health and it's so hard to control my mum doesn't understand she has just recovered from cervical cancer so anything to her isn't as serious as what she went through so she doesn't listen to me and just shuts me off. I am so worried about my tummy problems and it's really getting me down I just want to be able to go to the toilet normally. Also is bad back normal with ibs? If anyone has any help or advice or medications I can take for my weird alternating ibs then please let me know I'd be so great full. Thankyou Maisie xx 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You need to get to your gp.  If there's red is your stools it could be something important. And it's better to be safe than sorr. 

Let them know and im sure they'll be able to help you. 

Good luck, I hope everything is ok. 💕

• Posted

Hi, just to let you know with IBS it is back and forth with diarrhea and constipation. Taking something like psyllium husk helps either way, but start out small. Taking a good probiotic is a great idea as well. Also try to eliminate some foods. So easy to do on your own. First gluten. Keep a food diary as well. Eliminating gluten can help almost immediately if that is bothering you. And suggest seeing your doc also if there is red. Unless you have been eating fresh beets? Oh taking magnesium will help your intestines move the still out of the body. It's not like a bulkier, it just helps to gently get the intestines moving. Works like a charm. You may start with 400-800 mg and can go up to 2000 mg at bedtime.
  • Posted

Hello MLHX,

don't worry. You are young. Your first suspicians should not automatically be that you have something 'terribel'. With IBS unless you keep yourslef regular you will have bouts of diarrhea as your bowels are cramping to dispel its contents. If the stool is hard, the bowel muscles have to cramp harder. As for fresh red blood, that is undoubtedly from the anal region. The tissue is very sensitive and you can develop small cracks. Just use anusol or. Prep H...to soothe the area...and wash well.

as for the constipation: 2 1/2 cups of fruit and vegetables per day (no bananas), plenty of water, fybogelin in a BIG glasss or two of water, low salt foods (no crisps), no rice, no tea until you get regular. Take 1 - 3 tablets of natural and safe magnesium citrate every night before bed. You will sleep better too...AND wake up in the morning and have a softer, fluffier, easy to pass, longer BM!...with NO pain! I follow this regimen and have not had an IBS attack in a very long time; maybe a year...and that was because I got complacent and drank less water, ate fewer veggies or stopped,the magnesium tablets. You must stay on top of things and all will run like clockwork....and you will feel lighter and healthier...and happier!

good luck!

Robin

• Posted

Hi Maisie, sorry to hear youre having such a rough time at the moment! First I should say that with IBS it is absolutely normal to have diahorrea alternating with constipation. Sometimes both together on the same day! The backache you have is probably caused by the build up of stools in the colon, and again is quite normal.

The red you describe is probably undigested vegetable matter. It is also quite possible to produce small amounts of bright, red blood when you have been straining with constipation. This again is probably quite normal and due to either an internal haemorrhoid or a small anal tear. These things look more alarming than they actually are. Im 57 years old and have lived with IBS for around 35 years, so can understand what you are going through. Having said all this though its important that you consult with a GP as they can recommend you go for a number of tests to rule out things like inflammatory bowel conditions such as Crohns and Coeliac disease, as these disorders would need special medications to treat them. Anxiety plays a HUGE part in IBS flare-ups, and Im pretty sure that this is what has contributed to your current problem. Diet also plays a big part, but I would personally advise against cutting loads of different things out of your diet all at once. Its trial and error really with IBS! Best of luck, and hope your mum will be ok. smile Liz x

• Posted

Hi I was wondering how did you get

Diagnosis with IBS I have and still am struggling with Doctors and surgeon

To say I have that condition since

2013 I have serve Anxiety and I get

Panic attacks and I struggling with

Food I keep thinking its going to hurt

Like hell when I pass BM would love

Some advice please

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your feedback I really appreciate it. I need to work on getting my anxiety under control or talk to someone about it because it definitely has got worse- it's like a vicious cycle, I'm worrying about my tummy which then effects my tummy etc I went to the health shop today and bought some probiotic tablets and colpermin but need to speak to my doctor before trying then has anyone used any of these? I use mebervine and buscopan when I have an  'episode' of bloating, sweating and really bad tummy and they seem to help but I'm hoping to find something more everyday to take to make my BM more regular. Thank you again all, really kind of you, Maisie  xx
  • Posted

Hello MLHX,

Exercise is a great stress buster. Swimming gives you a feeling of calmness. Maybe yoga would be good for you. Meditation is a great stress buster. Is your home life calming? Therapy can help...

Also magnesium 2 - 3 tabs which is a natural calming mineral. Take it with almond milk before bed and not only will you be regular...but you will sleep soundly and wake up refreshed. Magnesium is great for the brain.

• Posted

My favourite remedy for treating diahorrea is ginger, either pieces of fresh ginger root grated into hot water, or ginger beer or Rochester ginger drink (from Holland and Barrett). Ginger really eases stomach cramps too. For bloating and wind I chew fennel seeds. Things like Buscopan and peppermint capsules dont do anything for me, but everybody is different and with a bit of trial and error you can find things that work for you!
    • Posted

I have never tried chewing fennel seeds, but I think I might try that. I have used fennel essential oils and put them in capsules but I might like chewing seeds better. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Posted

Hi! Have you tried using organic products? I've tried using them and it did work for me.
  • Posted

Hi just I just wanted to reply to your post as all of your symptoms match mine, I have always for aslong as I can remember suffered with bowel problems not going to the toilet regularly and when I did if was always diarrhoea I suffered with terrible pain in my lower stomach and in my lower back it also used to get worse when I got stressed or worried, I also suffered with the tummy pain, the hot and cold sweats and cramp when I did need to go to the toilet, my doctor used to just fob me off all the time this went on for about 5 years then it got worse I felt as if I had no feeling when I needed the toilet as youv said but knew I needed to go , after all theses years the hospital gave me a test which took 10 minets and I got partly diagnosed I had rectocele which causes all if these symptoms which sounds similar to yours so I would get that checked out by the hospital and tell them you want testing for this rectocele , it's a horrible thing to have esspeaially when your only young as I'm only 22 aswel but it's treatable..  X
  • Posted

Dear MLHX,

I am having stinging tummy andloose bowels then i can feel it at the bottom of my spine but not able to go my stomache hurts terribly. i thought it was sunstroke, as i haven't had IBS for such a long time.

I've been given mebeverine to take when my tummy gets super bad. had it yesterday and today. but thinking about it my boss has just gone away for two weeks starting from yesterday and it is all down to me now.

I suffer with health anxiety, i suffer with travel anxiety too, also social anxiety.

I hide it all very well but the feelings are very much still there with physical symptoms.

sometimes when my IBS is bad i also get blood in my stools if you get blood when you wipe i would worry blood in your stools and a jelly like mucus is normal with IBS i would get it check out if you are worried. Also ask about medicine to see if they will give you anything to help as some remedies over the counter can be quiet corse for IBS. 

I find cutting out things withs skins on or tomatoes or anything spicy helps whilst you have a flare up.

I hope you feel some improvement soon and you are most definetely not alone hun xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.