IBS? Cramping pain relief

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I am taking Ranitidine, Mebeverine, Buscopan & Amitriptyline which manages most of my IBS symptoms but once in a while I get severe stomach pain.

This pain starts in the upper right and moves over central below my chest and then shoots up across my chest and back.

It feels like a severe crushing pain that someone is standing on top of me but with the pressure constantly increasing.

I am on the floor, sweating with pain and this can last a good 4+ hours.

I have Cocodamol but it doesn't even touch the pain or provide relief, what should I do? I need to see my GP again but I don't think he understands how much pain I am in when it happens.

Really need some advice here

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you sure it’s only IBS? 

This sounds very much like I suffered 

I had my gallbladder removed and then found out I had hiatus hernia (incarcerated) which describes the pain you seem to be displaying.  When it strikes for a few hours you really need to go to A/E. They can give you better pain relief, scans and fluids to help you.  Also may refer you for surgery to help you too 

It’s defiantly not just ibs 

Hope you get the help you need ASAP 

• Posted

I saw a gastroenterologist back in Feb and described my problems but i dont think i explained it well he just said IBS and prescribed what i take now. This has helped massively with lower stomach pains and toilet urgency.

Has done nothing about the pain in the stomach and to the right that i describe and is the most severe pain.

I also had CT scan not long a go and nothing shown

I was put in hospital couple months back due to same pain they thought it was a heart attack because you know chest pain. I knew it wasnt. They said my blood pressure was extremely high and i had high white blood cell count which indicates an attack of some sort.

My gp looked at all this and was like i dont know...

So yeah, im suck on what to do. 

• Posted

When/if you next get the extreme pains.... go straight to a/e.  If it’s your gallbladder this should show up on blood tests and ultrasound scan. The hiatus hernia shows up on an endoscopy and mri scan or barium swallow.  It is very painful like a heart attack when it strikes and they shouldn’t just put it off as ibs.  Bypass the gp and go to a/e

Good luck 

• Posted

Too many meds. Get another opinion preferably at an E/R which has the necessary equipment.
  • Posted

You may need different medications or a higher dose of the ones you are taking.  Nurofen and Buscopan together really help me. Sometimes I take two Buscopan at once and this also helps a lot.
  • Posted

If your meds help you most of the time, it sounds like IBS. Sometimes you can get the odd flare up which is extremely bad,  This is normal for IBS.  I have long periods of remission and then out of the blue I can get a huge attack.  IBS can move all over your abdomen and into your back.  I have been curled up in a ball on the couch with the pain or crouched onthe bathroon floor.  At times I have not known where to put myself because of the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.