IBS D and pregnancy

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little while back my partner and I found out that I'm pregnant. It was a lovely surprise, but unexpected - we'd decided not to try at the moment because I've been having such a difficult time with my IBS symptoms (chronic constipation and several stool impactions).

I'm 13 weeks at the moment and so far have been very constipated, but yesterday I woke up with a really upset stomach and I've been been having really bad cramps and explosive, watery D ever since. I'm very bloated and my tummy feels very tender, and because the cramps just come out of nowhere and leave me doubled up in pain I keep not getting to the loo on time and messing myself.

Is this normal IBS D or could it be related to my pregnancy? What can I do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hormonal changes like pregnancy can make IBS worse.  When my IBS started, it felt worse before and during my period.  See your doctor to find out what medications are suitable for you since you are pregnant.
    • Posted

I have actually seen my doctor, but the treatments I've been using have all been aimed at relieving my very bad constipation and trapped wind. Weirdly, I still feel like I've got trapped wind now but (sorry TMI) when I try to pass gas, watery D comes out and the gas just stays stuck.

• Posted

Maybe try bananas to bind your stools if you are getting diarrhoea/loose stools and grapes, oranges and prune juice when you are constipated so long as you can tolerate fruit.  I have constipation mainly with IBS and oranges, grapes and prune juice work great for me.
  • Posted

Ask your doctor if you could try Heather's Tummy Care. She has an all natural fiber that is working great for me. She also had tea that calms the tummy. That with my regular dose of Miralax is keeping me regular. I would think it would be safe for pregnancy, but please check with your doctor first.

You can find it at a healthfood store or online. She's in Seattle, WA

Holly

• Posted

Talk to your GP and explain the problems you are having with your tummy and stools etc.

There are certain medications over the chemist counter, although because of your Pregnancy your GP needs to become involved.

Do not worry

BOB

• Posted

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll definitely get in contact with my GP but I can't get a tel appointment till tomorrow now. I'm just totally at my wits end and feeling awful. I thought it was going off a bit this afternoon but in the last hour I've been 6 times, every time with horrible cramps and cold sweats. I

• Posted

If you are very concerned regards your condition contact NHS Information Line on Tel 111 Explain above to them and they will triage and advise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.