IBS, diarrhea, periods

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last week I was a bit constipated before my period. I felt a sharp pain when going to the bathroom and saw some blood after wiping. I didn't think much of it and everything was fine till 2 days later when I had quite a bit more blood/some pain after going to the bathroom (but no constipation since the 2 days prior).

Then I started my period earlier this week and dealt with lots of diarrhea the day before starting and the first day, which I attributed to IBS. But when I went to pee on the first morning and there was so much blood the water was pink. I've never had this before and was nervous but attributed it to being particularly hydrated (clear urine) and having a heavy flow... But then today (day 5) I have diarrhea again and today, and several times throughout my period regardless of medium/heavy days, I've been getting stomach discomfort/cramps and notice blood in the toilet- instead of just on the TP- when I go to the bathroom regardless of if I just pee or not.

I'm trying not to worry, but it's very odd for me to see so much blood in the toilet bowl. I was recently laid off and don't have insurance any more so I know I'm under more stress than usual, but that also means I can't go to the doctor.

I guess I'm just wondering if others see blood in the toilet even on medium days; should I be particularly on "edge" about the amount of blood the first night...?

This doesn't seem "normal" for me, but nothing does with IBS. . .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

this was exactly my period 2 weeks ago with diarrhea, and the toilet had lots of blood i was scared, i also contracted a Bladder infection out of no where while dealing with ibs and my period and i thought it was something else other than my period cause i couldnt see nothing but blood, it cleared up now because my period has ended after a long week, which i never had periods for 7 days or more but it was strange i had it that long, all this maybe be stress and ibs put together because even when my bleeding was slowing down i couldnt see my urine just nothing but blood. i had this back pain since i had my period and its now been 2 weeks and i have the pain, some of my ibs symptoms is still lingering too and i have been loosing weight, i only loose weight if i have a ibs flare up

• Posted

It's difficult to give an opinion since you don't say where you felt the "sharp pain when going to the bathroom". This is essential. Was it in your anus or somewhere in your abdomen/pelvis? In the latter case, I think you should seek medical assistance asap.

I'm also a bit unclear as to where you thought the blood was coming from: rectum, vagina, bladder?

If the pain was in your anus and the blood from your rectum, it could be down to a bleed from haemorrhoids (piles) or an anal fissure. It's not uncommon for haemorrhoids in particular to bleed severely, especially when you're under a lot of stress as this raises your blood pressure, causing them to "pop". This happened to me two years ago. The day after a particularly stressful day at work, I suddenly had what I can only call a haemorrhage (I mean like all over the kitchen floor!) As a former nurse, I realised this was potentially serious and had a bag packed ready to go to the hospital. Luckily, it all settled down after a few hours, and has never been repeated - well not to the same degree anyway.

I would, however, reiterate that if the sharp pain you felt was anywhere in your abdomen or pelvis you should seek immediate medical help, regardless of your insurance status. I'm sure your country will have some kind of provision for emergencies. IBS doesn't normally cause rectal bleeding unless - like mine - it's the constipation variety, which can cause haemorrhoids.

• Posted

i do agree as well to seek medical attention, just to be on the safe side, i had these sharp shooting pain exactly around the time my period came but it was in my pelvis and my butt, it was excruiating where i couldnt sit, couldnt catch my breath and when i would try to use the toilet pee or poop it would hurt so bad but i went to the dr and they could not find anything,i was so stress my dr ran blood work and ultrasounds and pelvis exams and still couldnt find nothing so after i came to the conclusion it was IBS that could of been the issue or bowel issues because i was so gassy and had alot of diarrhea around that time but before ruling out ibs, go to ur doctors

• Posted

sam90321: Have you ever checked out pudendal nerve damage - either trapped nerve or pudendal neuritis? I believe I have this, but suspect it's due to faecal impaction putting pressure on the upper part of the nerve in my case.

I recently had an abdominal CT scan that showed an alarming amount of impaction in all three sections of the colon. I expected this finding, as I suffer a lot from what is clearly overflow diarrhoea.

I'm still trying to clear it - without much success so far!

• Posted

Hi, to out your mind at ease, purchase a test kit, from Let's get checked - for example - and do a test for bowel cancer. The kit only costs £40.. At the very least, have peace of mind.

• Posted

SpenceK: what does this kit test for? I was under the impression all OTC kits only tested for occult blood, so they'd give a positive on bleeding from non-malignant causes like haemorrhoids or contamination with menstrual blood too.

Or are we talking about the more sophisticated test that checks for traces of cancer DNA? I'd be surprised - and I have to say a bit suspicious - if this one was available OTC for £40 (USD 50).

This is a genuine question. I don't live in the UK and have never heard of OTC cancer DNA test kits in my own country, only the ones that test for blood (which are free under our health service anyway).

• Posted

If you have a haemorrhoid or fissure, it can bright red blood from either constipation or diarrhoea. Diarrhoea/loose stools is quite common with periods which I have had. IBS can make periods worse and can cause more pain; I have had that with my IBS. Both periods and IBS can be unpredicable. I wouldn't worry. Try Imodium for diarrhoea and lots of fruit or laxative for constipation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.