IBS, Diverticular?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have Lymphoma and have been on watch and wait for 18 months. In December I started to feel a little crampy in the lower abdomen and the Lymphoma Consultant sent me for a scan which came out fine for the Lymphoma and nothing else was noted. By mid January the cramps had become worse and the GP sent me for a colonoscopy - also fine.

=Can anyone tell me if IBS is likely to cause cramps (which are worse still) 24/7? I am a 69 years old female (full hysterectomy 14 months ago due to benign ovarian cysts), never have I had any gastric problems, heartburn, reflux, etc. I have been vegetarian for 40 years and have no other health problems.

I intend going back to my GP soon who has already suggested IBS but the medication didn't help so I am would just like the view of an IBS sufferer as to what the pain feels like. Incidentally I am not constipated nor do I have diarrhoea though I have had some changes in area.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I have had severe pain from IBS where I have not known where to put myself and have ended up crouched on the bathroom floor.. However, antispasmodics and standard painkillers have helped with the pain. I had 24/7 IBS pain all at different levels of severity for three and a half months when it first started. I was very stressed because no one could diagnose me.If you have IBS, stress makes the pain worse. With IBS, you often have to try several antispasmodics to find one that suits you. My GP prescribed me an antispasmodic that made me worse. I had to find an OTC antispasmodic myself which was far better.

On the upside, I haven't had a flare up in years because I am trying to reduce stress. However, this is only my experience of IBS; everyone is different. Speak to your doctor again since you have a previous health condition.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply but I'm just wondering if IBS would be likely since the pain is never crippling and there are no other symptoms. I'm not suffering nearly as much as others do, thank goodness, but maybe it's still IBS. Having lymphoma is making me at all possible causes.

• Edited

The symptoms you have sound like IBS, but your doctor will need to rule out other causes first and especially the lymphoma. IBS can only be diagnosed when all other tests are negative.

• Posted

Yes I'm just trying to get to grips with the situation before seeing the GP.

Thanks for your input.

• Edited

Fodmap diet and Slippery Elm supplements have help me. Maybe u might wanna look into it and consider. Your symptoms sound quite similar to mine

• Posted

i have read that lymphoma is known to cause abdominal pain it could very well be from lymphoma and just a normal part of the cancer itself

• Posted

Yes this is why it's so difficult to identify the reason for the pain but I'm keeping an open mind!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.