IBS EYE CONNECTION

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I would realy like to hear from people who may have some information or have even had similar symtoms to mine.

I am 27 years old and have these symtoms for over 3 years. These symptoms started very fast it vas a iritation in my eye at first and little bit of swollines and awcourse sensitivity to light especially to light of monitors or tv and this was only in one eye dominant right eye. Next day I felt irritation in my lower abdomen, I don't have tipical symtoms of IBS althou they very in each person. I visit toilet as usual and stools are variing it depends on food I eat I dont have fog in my brain, energy level is lower, have had colonoscopy, ultrasound and tested for parasites and all of these are normal. I do think that condition in my one eye and feeling of irritation in my belly is connected I also have my eye checked and doctor didnt find any damage ir inflamation althou it feels normal and I can see good when I dont look at monitors or bright light. I dont want to make this post to long if someone have relative info to share I would like to read it.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

It is a possibility that you have ME/CFS. I am just thinking about some of your symptoms? Maggie x
  • Posted

I am very sensitive to light and use filters on my monitors. My eyes often stream at a little sunlight so never go anywhere without 80 s sunglasses as they are nice and dark. I also have ASD and this is more likely linked to that but I also have IBS so I do not really know. 
  • Posted

Hello maggie 55735 and astrozombbie. I have read about ME/CFS it describes some of my symptoms although other symptoms in this disorder is very general and can be other illnesses than this main theme. However I am not surtain that it could be that I only have few symptoms related to this condition. I have read article about immune system disorder and how it connects eyes and intestines.

I also do have glasses which I need to wear in front of monitor they take brightness away. In my opinion there is connection between IBS like symptoms in intestines and vision. Because when i eat certain foods especially foods with fructose or sugar I start to feel irritation in eye.

• Posted

Also you can turn the brightness down on the actual monitor. I usually push mine down to about 45 and that works quite well.

Just back from A&E. Work has stressed my system and gone into anxiety overload. Oh well at least I tried.

I do not get eye irritation in that way just bright screens, fluorescent tubes, sunlight all make my eyes water hence why I prefer darkness. 

No idea if there is a link to my stomach though which has been very bad over the last few days.

I spoke to doc today about Fodmap but he said he does not think it is so much food related for me as stress and anxiety attacks are my triggers.

• Posted

I really do think it is connected because it started 1 day apart from irritation in my eye. I also had problems later in my stomach low acid slow digestion. Changing diet really worked for me removing all milk products and other changes really improved health but still have symptoms.
    • Posted

I will take your word for it. I often have problems with my stomach but I have proven for me it is anxiety over milk products. Changing diet worked for me too but it did not cure me though I did lose 2.2 stone.
    • Posted

Yea's anxiety is definitely plays part in the ones health, I did last about 6 kg. and cant gain weight at least not dropping anymore what is stone ? It is really frustrating that in this age medicine can not tell what is causing you these disorders.
    • Posted

Anxiety is my main issue. What is kg? I was heavyset to the point of fat for years I am now 13 stone which admittedly is not overly thin but for someone who was 3 stone heavier for years it feels it. I am like Cartman I do not have a wiry frame. Definitely frustrating because as of Monday I need to contact the Doc for more tests so work looks over again. My frustration runneth over.
    • Posted

PS Just over 80 kg so I am 20 kg lighter than my average weight for the last 20 years if that helps put things in context. I used Google as we do not use kgs. 
    • Posted

Hi,

When you see your doctor please do not let him make you feel bad. I am 5ft 7ins and now 11st. I have had a Doc make me feel bad about that. You are a good weight for a male. Scale is so narrow and lets face it. Most doctors are obese and moralizing. One of the receptionists at my practice is so big she can barely stand up. Is she being helped by her colleagues?

• Posted

I would not expect anything less. The last time I said I am losing so much weight I am concerned. Friends say I am starting to look ill and he said 11.2 stone for my height, 6 ft, I just laughed. Thank you and I think so too. Older docs are but the last one I saw was ripped so I could not say anything. He was also 20's though. Indeed there are a couple like that at mine too. They would say but we're not the ones who are ill. I could not argue.
    • Posted

Anyone who is 11st and 6ft tall is way too light. Someone that height should be 13st and over!
    • Posted

I think so too. If I was fitter I could probably drop into the 12 stone area but I am not.
    • Posted

Also proof that you are right. My BMI just over 25 and I think it is 20-25 ok. 25-30 overweight and over 30 obese. 

I am not overweight currently and also used to a friend who spent time in the gym but small chap at 5 ft 8 but his BMI was almost 30 due to his height.

• Posted

I am similar high as you, I think your weight is normal or maybe little small. Mine main issue is my one eye it is sensitive to light and even reading I cannot concentrate my eye for longer reading or jus watching something on the screen. May I ask what helps you to deal with anxiety ?

maggie 55735 are you practicing something or helping with your knowledge?

• Posted

If that is to me I don't deal well with anxiety. I am definitely better when I don't work. I have just put in 2 weeks in a job and ended up in A&E yesterday. I am feeling better today. 
    • Posted

I have had some interference with my sight but it has never been a big issue. I have been aware of my sight going all funny for a couple of seconds when overcome with panic. I am not sure what is going on with the eye problem. Maggie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.