Ibs flare up after medication?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi people can you help? Ooph what a day I've had! Has anyone or can anyone explain why my IBS went totally nuts today? I don't think I've been in this much pain for ages. I made the mistake of taking something called SUDAFED this morning on an empty stomach first thing today to find myself in the doctors at midday. I had never had such a vile reaction to it and I've taken it before. What happens is this: (and I think the ladies will understand this more). Each month IBS kicks off at a certain TIME! Ok, so because my IBS is bad it then also kicks off really bad FACIAL pain that I normally treat with this Sudafed stuff. Why did I do this today and on an empty stomach? I was in pain and felt rubbish! How do I stop this happening? I ended up at the doctors in agony, something I have got used to. My stomach felt like a football, with PINS in it! The pain made me cry! I am not the greatest with pain but normally shift the pain by walking. Does this sound like ibs flare up to you? Is it the medication (I did discover it had ibuprofen in it) or am I not coping? What would you do? Do I see a different doctor? How do I sort? I'm really sorry for the length of post and all the questions! Thanks 😐

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Definitely sounds like a flare-up to me. Remember- flare-ups don't need a reason or trigger to come on. Heck, I have symptoms almost daily sometimes. I used to think ricotta cheese was my trigger. Then, nuts. The reality is that I still don't know what triggers, or if I even really have triggers. Always had a bad stomach, so...

And this forum is great. A lot of people have helped ease my mind, so utilize their advice. They really know what they're talking about.

• Posted

hi sam,i think the sudafed did not help you,however ibs can  come and go any time your body wants to,what tests has your doctor done for you.At this present time keep with the doctor you got at present,and watch what you are eating ,as eating the wrong foods can cause your problems
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice chaps j know something went terribly wrong because the pain was just unbearable. I couldn't eat all day and can still feel it to a lesser extent. I will see if I can eat breakfast and then decide what I do after that.

• Posted

Hi, have you tried multi strain probiotics?, particularly Bifidobacterium strains, Bifidobacterium Infantis is one strain that has been well studied and said to be very beneficial regarding IBS.
    • Posted

Hi Martin I do have probiotics yes, I found they help to a certain extent. A recent blood test has flagged a problem on a coeliac test. I need to know what this is but I do find probiotics help!
  • Posted

Avoid the medication completely or try taking it with food.  These meds can be harsh on an empty stomach.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa thank you kind lady, I stopped after 1 dose saw my practice nurse who got me an appointment with my doctor on Monday to discuss my blood tests and this too. I'll let you and your friend Jaybabes know how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.