IBS FODMAP diet

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve been suffering for years now with IBS and for the past 6-8 weeks I have been suffering with nausea, tiredness and severe pain during and after eating. My GP has suggested the low fodmap diet and I wondered if anyone has had any success with it? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes, lots of people with ibs have to follow it and it is definitely worth it. It’s a guide though so you need to see what works for you and you might need to avoid foods on there still. Tomatoes are on there but really don’t agree with me so I still have to be careful. 

• Posted

Thank you, I didn’t really get much direction from my GP to be honest. I was told to print the list and give it 6months so I am a little unsure about how to go about it. 
  • Posted

Hi Philippa, I remember that lovely diet hmm. I found it took the dietitian service years to try and sort my diet after stripping everything out of it. In the end they eventually decided it was a fibre related problem through a diagnosis of diverticulosis, which they sorted after 10 years. I am disgusted. I was told you have to add in foodstuffs after having them stripped out after 3 days in between each one and when your IBS is settled. I found the whole thing a farce, well I'm having a formal meeting with the health people soon, who run the dietitian's service. Sorry the news wasn't any better. It's not funny, establish a set of ground rules immediately. Good luck. Hope it goes better for you than it is for me.

• Posted

Hi Sam

I think you are being a bit hard on the FODMAP diet

Your anger should be directed toward whoever diagnosed your problem incorrectly.

The diet wouldn't help a broken leg either. Finding a competant GP is very difficult

• Posted

The fodmap diet did very little for me wasn't well explained and difficult, it's not for everyone.

• Posted

I totally agree messed with my head. Always checking ingredients made me frightened to try different foods.
    • Posted

I'm glad understand, I began having panic attacks going shopping. I had to talk to my doctor about it and felt a right Wally. It's not funny is it?

• Posted

Omg that exactly what happens to me. I was crying in the supermarket thinking I will never eat normal again. It is not good. I am taking herbs and l glutamine with new tabs to start over next 2 weeks. I am hoping to start introducing new foods with the help of my nutrionist in about 1 months time. My diet is awful I eat same every day. It is sole destroying and stomach pain also. Hoping for good results soon. If you are lucky and find your exact triggers with the low fodmap then that's good but destroyed me.

• Posted

The fodmap diet is ok for a few weeks I could see foods that I could relate to bring a problem. I made the mistake of sticking to it for too long and have lost out on many nutrients and vitamins. If going on it you need on going help of a dietician. I was given the books and left to deal with it on my own. I have major issues now with leaky gut. I am paying privately to get help. No harm in having a look at high fodmap foods. For me was not the answer fodmap took over my life. Good luck hope you get sorted

• Posted

Thank you, I didn’t really get much direction from my GP to be honest. I was told to print the list and give it 6months so I am a little unsure about how to go about it. 
    • Posted

Hi philippa   I'm afraid you're doctor's a fool.   The FODMAP diet is not an easy diet to embark on.   It is inclined to be a bit boring but there is a considerable range of foods you can eat.   I would say you definitely need the help of a good dietician.  Your doctor shouldn't have dumped you with a list and no support.     I compare it to the assistance people get when they have diabetes.   The diabetes people have large organisations devoted to getting them through the problems.  They include plenty of dieticians who run courses including supermarket tours and label reading classes.   The poor cousins with a need for FODMAP have to search out a good dietician and then read books and websites.

If FODMAPs are your problem then going onto a low FODMAP exclusion diet and gradually reintroducing foods in groups will be the quickest way to be rid of the symptoms that are plaguing your life.   Unfortunately you will never be able to eat ordinary food again.   You will be limited to the foods that you have found are do not make you sick.   You have a simple choice you can rant and rage at your outrageous fortune to have a food intolerance or you can stop feeling sick and accept that you are better off than half the world, except there are a few things you can't eat   An easy choice for some.

Try to eat according to the FODMAP diet and get help from a dietician for a few months.     You might be lucky and it won't help you at all so you can go back to your original diet, eat what you like and sit on the toilet for 5 hours a day.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Philippa,  I sympathise with you and understand completely what you are going through. You just need to persevere and figure out what works for you.  It is a good idea to try the low fodmap,  eat plain food and find out what works for you.  Peppermint tea is very calming for the bowels. Also eating little and often is kinder to your digestion.  Also stress is bad for your bowels, I know it is not always easy to stay calm.  Keep going, good luck
  • Posted

It has helped me a lot. Do not listen to the gp and "just print a list" you need to do it properly with a dietician, so that you go through each phase properly and do not miss out on nutrients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.