IBS from Omeprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know if Omeprazole can cause IBS (permanent/chronic IBS) ?

I began getting more regular bowels movements and flatulence whilst taking Omeprazole (40mg a day for 3 weeks). I’ve now been off it for over two weeks and although it’s settled slightly, I’m still getting excess wind, tenesmus and at times more bowel movements than normal. I’m worried that the Omeprazole has caused this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, when I took it I don,'t remember it making my IBS worse, but it is an acid suppressant; so your body has to adjust to not having it anymore. My problem with it was that it made my hair fall out.

• Posted

hi ,the medication called omeprazole is as the other person mentioned is an anti acid drug,and as far as i am aware this will not cause you too get ibs.
  • Posted

Hi Landavis, I remember Omeprazole been one of the mildest antacids I ever took the Esomeprazole which really severely affected my health and I am convinced did the most damage to my health. Has anyone experienced this?
  • Posted

I haven’t heard of Omeprazole causing or making IBS worse.  It sounds more like you are experiencing side effects from Omeprazole which may completely disappear once you have been off this PPI for a while.  Give it time to settle down.  Omeprazole suppresses acid production but when you come off it, your stomach will have to get used to producing more acid again which may cause stomach upset. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.