IBS - gluten and dairy free diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

[b:d124e90098][color=indigo:d124e90098][/color:d124e90098][size=18:d124e90098][/size:d124e90098] I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 15 and I am now 34. I unfortunately haven't been following the right diet as I was told to, thinking it won't make any difference. Well nearly 20 years later and I am paying for it. I have not had quite enough of feeling tired, awful pain, headaches, no energy, nauseas, constipated, diarrhea, bloated, constant flatulence and stressed about all of above. I decided to go gluten and dairy free and that was 4 days ago. I will say desperate measures call for desperate times and I believe I've done the right thing. I know it won't be an overnight change to my body but with this lifestyle change I am starting to feel a bit more human and dare I say not uncomfortable all the time. It's not the easiest diet to follow as almost everything in the universe has wheat in it. But, after just the slightest relief I have had has given me the insentive to go all the way and be happy and whole again. I will say that my mum has crohns (stoma) and ulcerative colitis. Whether this makes a difference to me or not I don't know. Can I ask if anybody out there might be able to give me some advice as to whether I'll be able to get prescription food for my gluten free or would I have to have celiac disease? Also howcome have docs never said I have that although I haven't lost unexpected weight with my condition. Maybe it is just IBS A but gluten free does wonders for me. Anybody out there have any ideas?[/b:d124e90098]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi gr8kids

I have a similar tale to tell and have been gluten free for about 6 months and it has almost eliminated all of the symptoms of IBS. I had to have tests for coeliac and the bad news is you have to eat wheat regularly for about 6 weeks prior to the test otherwise you wont get an accurate result. The first is a blood test (mine was negative) then I had an endoscopy. I was diagnosed with non-coeliac gluten intolerance which caused the IBS and reflux I have been experiencing pretty much all my life. As I am not coeliac I can't get the food on prescription and I have found that products are quite expensive. I am on a strict diet and only eat gluten free products as a treat if I fancy a biscuit or a piece of toast! The coeliac uk site was brilliant at offering advice and recipes - try them out.

I have not had bloating for six months except when I ate couscous (didn't realise it was wheat!!!) and I am regular with toilet business now. I have not gone dairy free as I felt it was too much too soon as I also have to have a reflux friendly diet (no caffeine, spices, fizzy drinks, high fats, processed foods etc).

I have a natural and gentle diet - have lost weight and I am getting loads of complements about my skin and hair (nice when you are over 40 I tell you as complements are exceptionally rare!) I think it is all the fish, green tea and veggie juices.

I have read that a gluten free diet has been very helpful in IBS patients - it certainly worked out well for me.

Best of luck!

Suze

• Posted

Hello

I thought I would reply to your post, I also suffer from IBS, feel bloated nausea at times tired and no energy and also a dull ache around my ribs on the right side, I have had 3 lots of blood tests urine tests and refered to the hospital for yet more blood tests but they have all returned normal.

I feel like IBS is taking over my life I first started with IBS in April 2009 and after 2 months it disapeared an returned in Dec 2009 and remained since its awful and makes me feel so fed up. I even wake up in the morning tired.

Regards Ian

• Posted

I've had symptoms since for 25 years which have steadily got worse to a point where I suffer on a daily basis with no let up in symptoms.

I've visited my GP on numerous occassions to have my symptoms brushed off as a virus or when things got worse and I regularly came out in a rash which blistered I was told it was insect bites and was sent away with cream that did nothing.

Eventually after keeping a food diary I discovered it was any foods which contained gluten that set off my symptoms, and after working hard to irradicate it from my diet I've never felt better.

Its such as shame that its taken 25 years, repeat GP appointments and me having to take action myself in order to become symptom free.

• Posted

[quote:72a195a520=\"sarahg42 \"].......................when things got worse and I regularly came out in a rash which blistered I was told it was insect bites and was sent away with cream that did nothing............[/quote:72a195a520]

Arrgh! You cant leave us all in suspense like that.

Was the rash Dermatitis Herpetiformis or not ?

Anyway, hope everything goes well now

Pooka

• Posted

[quote:f8a754a84e=\"Pooka McPhie \"]Was the rash Dermatitis Herpetiformis or not ?[/quote:f8a754a84e]

Good question smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.