IBS has been flaring up lately. Advice or talk?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, my mother suffers really badly with IBS and it seems to run in the family such as my cousins suffer with it too but on a much lesser scale. I never really noticed myself suffering with symptoms until I was around 19, I'm now 21 and while these symptoms aren't unbearable I do feel as though I have a dull ache in my very lower stomach most of the time now. Most of the time it goes away after I've been to the toilet but until then (which can be a number of hours) it's generally there. I try to not let it stop me getting out and doing things and most of my friends and work colleagues don't know that I suffer with it.

Just getting a bit sick of it lately and it's starting to get me down a little bit. I go on holiday on Thursday up coming and I'm worried that it's going to ruin my time. I know worrying doesn't help but I am quite a worrying person by nature.

In the past I've tried buscopan, mebervine, and peppermint oil tablets. I was on a long term course of antibiotics for acne which I have now came off to see if it would help however it's been a few weeks now and it doesn't feel like it has. I've been trying probiotics for the past 2 weeks but not sure that is helping either.

Can anyone make any recommendations? Or if not even just reassure me that it's not always going to be bad?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you should see a doctor.   Just because you have ibs in the family doesn't mean that it is the cause of your problems.

In the meantime I recomend you search for referemnces to the Monash University FODMAP diet which has been found very effective     It might help your mother.   the idea is that the ibs is caused by intolerance to some types of food and the diet helps identify which foods are causing the trouble.   There are lots of references in this forum and in the forum on Restless Legs Syndrome

• Posted

I know my mother does avoid wheat a lot so think she's already onto this but maybe worth me trying, thanks
  • Posted

I have IBS and have the same symptoms.  Sometimes I have flare ups with nausea and bad stomach pain which painkillers and Buscopan help.  I have constant, mostly dull stomach ache that I can ignore.

Holidays abroad greatly help my pain because I am more relaxed and take more exercise. If a close relative has IBS, then you are more likely to get it too.  However, see your doctor for an official disgnosis.  

• Posted

Glad to know you can ignore it, hope I can learn to do that too. Thanks for that though, eased my mind about going away
  • Posted

Hi there, I just wangted to say im in the exact same position as you! Im turning 21 in August and I got my IBS from food poisoning back in November 2015. ITs ruined my life and im dreading going back to university. I also have a holiday abroad in the next 2 weeks, which any normal person would be excited about, instead im dreading it. Ive also tried buscopan, mebeverine, peppermint oil tabs and probiotic tablets but still have no luck. I ended up having a breakdown in front of my doctor and am now on some light antidepressants to help me cope with it all as for i get scared to leave the house, and nervous if I have a shift at work. If you find anything that helps please let me know!

I will say though that i do have good days and I do have bad days, i just dont know when they are going to be. But when I have a good day I feel so happy and grateful!

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.