IBS - How does it make you feel?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys,

I've had a number of stomach problems since having a large ovarian cyst and my ovary removed a year ago. I've been diagnosed with IBS and I'm taking mebeverine. I also have acid reflus and dizziness due to low iron.

My question is, how does your IBS make you feel? I seem to have discomfort and bloating most days and have flare ups where I feel incredibley sick with frequent loose stools along with just a general feeling of groginess, tiredness and feeling unwell.

If you do have flare ups, how often do you feel unwell?

I'm suffering from quite a bit of anxiety and I feel like there is something that is being missed. I would just like reassurance and to hear some of your stories if that's okay

Thanks smile

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think there are 2 types of IBS. With one you get diarrhoea and with the other you get constipation. My GP thinks I may have IBS and mine is the type that I am constipated with.

I had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago due to gallstones.

I get quite a bit of pain in my stomach and right side.

The thing that made my GP think i may have IBS was shen I told her I was also getting pain in my back passage (no bleeding though)

The other thing with IBS is that with most people symtoms are relieved after a bowel movement.

Mine is the opposite!

Hope this settles down for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

My GP never told me anything about the different types. Mine is almost always loose and frequent stools with discomfort and nausea

Thanks for your reply Sarah. Hope you feel better soon

X

• Posted

Hello Penny

I hope you are well and just getting on with life. I thought I'd touch base and ask how you are? I still have no answers and wondered if you did. My syptoms seem to settle for a bit (though I never feel fully well) and then flare. Am dealing witb extreme tiredness now too. Doc thinks I have exhausted myself with worry. I just want life to be normal again.

Hope you're keeping well hun. Xxx

• Posted

Hi pennylane, IBS can make you feel miserable but you add in stress on top and you're talking about feeling awful. My IBS is mainly exasperated by stress not food or drink, like the so called experts thought. My dietician only copes with the vegetarian diet of my diet and oh yes of course the fact that I'm trying to become pregnant!
    • Posted

I'm the same.  Food and drink cause me no trouble at all; it is stress that aggravates my symptoms.    Sometimes experts know a lot less than we do.
  • Posted

Hi pennylane, it's Sam again, you get all this advice off the so called experts but not how to cope if you can't have certain things.  I find peppermint, nexium, mebeverine or fybogel totally useless, they make my ibs 1000% worse!  Ginger, laxido and ranitidine only that's of use only for me.  Just seen the dietician who has basically told me she can't help me anymore despite them stripping most of my diet through FODMAPs, now I don't know what to do for the best as I've just discovered I could have underlying issues that could be easily remedied through diet if only the dietician would make an effort.
  • Posted

Hey Penny,

I'm facing the same problem. I had a tiny ovarian cyst two years ago and after medication, it was completely removed. I'm a vegetarian but i include fish in my diet. Whenever I take cheese , beans, and other fast foods , my stomach bloats and the same thing that you've mentioned above, happens to my poor stomach too. Frustrated with this kinda unexpected bloating and flatulence .... Is this the symptoms of IBS sad

• Posted

Hi all,

I have suffered on and off with IBS for a long time now but for the last couple of weeks i have been taking Probiotic Complex one a day and my symptons have really improved more than i ever thought they would. Seems like i have finally found the correct medication.Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi guys

I'm a born worrier I just can't help it either . I've been told I have IBS and peppermint oil capsules given . I'm not one to run to docs but I'm just wondering the type of pains u get. I get every few week what feels like the cramps u get when get a tummy bug then also spend day on loo. I read that going loo stops pain but mine is like waves of pain exactly like tummy bug . now I ask this as I have a vomit phobia and contamination phobia and its playing havoc with my anxiety about that (also have a 4 year old that ibs always seems to spoil things for) I usually take imodiam if I don't get these pains as I know not tummy bug but were on Easter holidays and don't want to be stuck in like was at Christmas .

Just looking for advice on what your pain is like?

Thanks

Vanessa xxx

• Posted

Hi penny this is my first time on here

I hs i have lost 7 pound in less than 2 weeksave suffered with ibs for yrs as they keep telling me it is.It has worse to the point that I am worrying all the time I do suffer with anxiety I search the Internet all the time trying to find answers I am 67 yrs old but a young 67 I am back and forth to docs only to get same answer ibs and anxiety.I have had a colonoscopy 2 abdominal scans but I I don't think the scan shows your stomach I went to the doctors last week he sent me for blood tests and chest xray a's I have lost 7 pound in less than 2 weeks I had lost some weight before that but put 3lb back on now gone I'm. In agony most of the day and bloated my appite not good but told to eat more fat to see if I put weight on I always have low fat food seams to making me feel sick but have to eat it to put weight on as my brain is telling Mr cancer I know my anxiety isn't housework and all the stress I get but I got to point were I don't won't to wake up in morning knowing I'm going to be pain especially if I do housework please help me

So sorry this is such a long mesage

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.