Ibs is getting me down , I have tried everything can anyone please help

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have had ibs for several years now,I have had all kinds of test done and this is what they say it is.I have tried everything from fod map, mebeverine, buscapen, peppermint but nothing helps, this is happening now nearly all days, strong tummy pains, very bad bloating, constipation then very loose stools. I cry as the pain can be so bad, I have had to finish work. I get bad back pain also with it.Scared to go on holiday and even out the house now due to severe attacks can any help please.In what to take or try.Thank you.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I feel the same im almost scared to eat now which is hard cause i have diabetes to ☹
  • Posted

I wouldn't take IBS as a diagnosis until ever gut related problem has been ruled out. IBS is a made up word for a string of symptoms that leads nowhere a problem with no diagnosis. There's a number of things that can cause the same problem ill put a list Bellow.

Crons

Gluten intolorence

Diverticulosis

Cancer

SBBOS (small bowel bacterial over growth)

Some types of parasetetic worms that can last for over 30 years.

Ulcerated colitis

Lactose intolorence

IBS

I put Ibs at the bottom because it has the same symptoms as the rest but it's unknown, no one knows what causes it and why it's doing what it's doing. IBS was originally the conclusion doctors got to after ruling everything else out. For a doctor to just jump straight to IBS is bad doctoring potentially leaving people to suffer a curable problem.

• Posted

I can sympathise with you totally, I've felt constantly ill everyday for the past couple of years and I've been diagnosed with IBS. I don't get intense pains so much, but I suffer more with bloating, nausea, lightheadedness and constipation. For me Mebeverine has really helped, I tried to come off it once wondering if was the cause of my problems, big mistake! Within a day I called for an ambulance thinking I had appendicitis, turned out all was fine, started taking mebeverine again and have not had a repeat episode since. 

As was said you do need to have every possibility ruled out before a diagnosis of IBS has can be given. What tests have been done? For me I've had many tests done, blood tests checking various things such as celiac, HIV, autoimmune disease, liver and kidney function, H.Pylori plus others, urine tests including the 5-HIAA test, stool tests for blood, faecal elastase and faecal calprotectin, head MRI, abdominal ultrasound, chest and back X-Rays, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and two colonoscopies. The only thing ever found were two high faecal calprotectin test results, and I mean high, one was >1400 and the other greater than >300, at this point my doctor suspected IBD. However the follow colonoscopy with biopsies revealed my rectum, colon and terminal ileum were very healthy, with that and no sign of inflammatory markers in my blood tests this was then discarded as a possible diagnosis, hence was then diagnosed with IBS.

I was still skeptical about these high calprotectin results, they must have come from somewhere, and then one day someone suggested I get tested for food intolerances / allergies. I found two home tests to do and went through with them. Both of them came back showing I had food intolerances, and even though there were discrepancies between the two, three foods showed up on each test, cows milk, millet and yeast. Since cutting out milk, my symptoms have improved a bit, albeit not totally, so there must be something else I'm missing, but then again, I can't give up chocolate, that's where I'm going wrong I'm sure. After further research I found out food intolerances can cause inflammation, which could well have been the cause of the high calprotectin results. Also after checking yeast intolerance, I discovered a lot of people with yeast intolerance suffer with Candida, which again mimics a lot of our symptoms.

If you want to know more about food intolerance testing PM me and I can point you in the right direction. I'm not saying food intolerance is the cause of your issues, until you have had as many tests as possible done to rule out other causes then you can't be sure, but if you've had testing done with no positive outcome, then maybe its worth a try??

Another thing you could try is an elimination diet. I started by just eating gluten free porridge made with water for breakfast, and plain white boiled rice for lunch and dinner and did this for a few days, at which time my symptoms started to improve. Then add a different food and see what happens for the next few days, if no reaction, keep this in your diet and try another food a few more days later, and so on. If you get a reaction, stop the suspect food and give yourself a week to recover with the foods you know you can eat and try again. Its a long boring process, and hard work, but if it provides relief, surely it's worth it. Unfortunately there are no quick simple cures to help in the short term, you've tried pretty much all there is on offer. Btw, if you're taking pain relief then stick to paracetamol, don't take any others, it's the safest for sensitive guts.

Sorry to waffle on, but as you can see, digestive problems are probably by far the hardest and most long winded to diagnose. All the best and I do hope you find out whats causing your problems.

• Posted

My god you have had every test in the book!! I hope you are doing well just wanted to comment
    • Posted

Hi Dana

I’ve actually been feeling better these last few day thank you for asking, and it has been since cutting all dairy out of my diet that things feel like they are improving. Yesterday was very nearly a symptom free day, that’s not happened to me in months!

• Posted

paul thanks for the advice, im just so fed up, currently asked my gp about sibbo he said he will look into it, have to go back next week
    • Posted

Hi Paul,

Could you please tell me who you used for the intolerance tests? If not allowed to post on this, could you private message please. I'm clutching at straws here. I can't work out at all what I'm eating that's causing me to feel so sick and loose bowels. It flares up every now and then and today was so severe I had to cancel an appointment I had.

Thank you!

• Posted

Go back to your doctor and ask for a different antispasmodic; you may have to try several.   If your stools turn to diarrhoea, try Imodium.   Try distraction techniques such as as swimming or walking which helps with the pain.  Concentrating on hobbies slso helps.
  • Posted

I had diarrhea for 3 months seriously try some good probiotics 
  • Posted

Are you overly stressed out? 
    • Posted

yes i lost my father in december then my brother passed suddenly in april all this within 4 months i had to do both funerals 
  • Posted

Hi there like you i suffer a lot with having ibs c and anxiety i cannot give you an answer to your problems but just to let you know that you are not alone.

All the tablets you have taken i have also taken to no avail but i take mirtazapine,amitriptylene,diazepam and also simeticone for trapped wind in my right ribs which sometimes puts me in bed and i cant even drive for it.

If anyone has any advice it would be most welcome.

• Posted

I too have developed a fear of going out. Am due to spend a few days away from home soon and the fear has al ready started to make me worse. Never knowing if you will have to rush to the toilet or not rules my every thought when I am awake. I am only calm if I am constipated but I know there is always the kick back when it all seems to come out at once!. Not a nice situation. I now have an irrational fear of going to the toilet. I panic as soon as I feel I need the toilet. Always feel as if something is in the bowel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.