IBS linked to periods?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone else associate their flare ups with the time of the month? Very month 2 weeks before my period the problems start, they lead right up to a few day soon befor my period then I seem to be pain free for a couple of weeks. This has happened for years and i cannot pin it down to any one food type but it’s the same cycle every time.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely. I notice my IBS symptoms/flare ups are always worse the week before, or week of my period. Then I have about 2 "good weeks" and the cycle starts again. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that has helped with this yet, but you're not alone!!

• Posted

Thanks for tour reply. Have been thinking for a while about this it’s so frustrating is it going to be this way forever?? Glad I’m not alone in this one though sometimes think I’m mad!! 
  • Posted

Periods can cause a surge of hormones including adrenaline which is a trigger for ibs. I haven't found any cure for this yet howeversad  

• Posted

Periods can affect IBS.  When my IBS started, my period pain was a lot worse and harder to control.  However, my IBS has settled down and my periods are less of a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.