IBS made worse by stress

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with IBS about 3 years ago, which manifests mostly as stomach cramps and acid reflux. I am thin but have a constantly bloated stomach, and often feeling nauseous prevents me from eating. In the last six months or so symptoms have got worse, and I have identified two situations that make it much worse:

1) Work. My mornings are usually fine, but around midday I need to go to the bathroom. I am very embarrassed about the condition and in my office the only bathroom is no less than 5 metres away from everyone's desks. I simply can't use that bathroom, and so the afternoons get worse and worse as I am in increasing pain and discomfort. My concentration and standard of work declines. I can never go to the bathroom in the morning while still at home, and don't tend to eat breakfast as it makes me sick. 

2) Love interest. There is a guy I really really like who I spend weekends with every month or so, but every time I have spent time with him recently, I have been so stressed about not being disgusting around him that it causes me severe constipation, and extreme pain that ruins everything. Last time I went for a whole week without using the bathroom as a result and honestly experienced pain akin to childbirth when I could finally go again. He is amazing and would never have the slightest qualm, but I just cannot use the bathroom around him like that. It is just too embarrassing. 

On top of this, I have serious depression for which I am quite heavily medicated, and the stress of feeling sick and not being able to use the bathroom for fear of embarrassment makes the situation so much worse.

I know at least the work issue would be mostly resolved were I able to use the bathroom in the mornings, but at this rate, it will literally mean getting up everyday at about 4am just so I can use my own bathroom and rescheduling my entire life. I am feeling so stressed and overwhelmed by this right now and refuse to wait several weeks for a doctor appointment when I'm already on medication and they are probably doing all they can as it is. 

Sorry to rant. Can anybody relate to this or suggest anything that might ease my problems? Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lulu

I'm glad you had the courage to make this post, and have been able to identify your triggers.  I am old enough to be your grandmother, but I can still remember well that I was too embarrassed to use public toilets or school toilets until there was nobody in them and as a result once soiled my pants. 

I talked to my mother and she told me two things that stuck in my memory.  First, that everyone is the same - we all need to pass wind, wee and poo - it's a natural bodily function.  Ask yourself - do you monitor your fellow workers or boyfriend every time they use the toilet, and think "disgusting"?  I'm sure you don't, and that they don't think that of you either - in fact they probably don't even notice.  You could take precautions like carrying spare pants, and antiseptic wipes with you, if you feel you might need them.  It might be hard at first, but you might like to try, perhaps when the office has less people in, say at lunch time. 

Second she said that once you have been through a thorough internal examination, there is no such thing as dignity or embarrassement.  This is no help now, but the older I got, the more problems I had "below the waist", the more examinations I had, my shyness and embarrassment melted away.

I am guessing you might be in a bit if a vicious circle - the more you stress, the more you hold back, the worse your symptoms become, the more you stress.......  Do you have a sympathetic female family member or friend you could talk to?  I don't know if you are USA or UK based, but if UK you might enquire if your area has a Bowel Advisory Service, run by a trained Nurse Practitioner.  If yours does, she might be able to offer you practical advice and support to deal with your embarrassment.  But I do think you need to talk to someone.

On a more practical level, I have Diverticular Disease, which has symptoms very similar to IBS, and I know that one of the treatments I am prescribed is also used in the treatment for IBS.  I take psyllium husk once (in the morning) or twice a day (every 12 hours).  (Fybogel in the UK, Metamucil in the USA).  This has the effect of bulking and thickening the stool, making it easier to pass, and has a mild laxative effect.  As a result, my bowels go regular as clockwork, within an hour of getting up, and I have taken this daily for 16 years.  Also hard as it is, you probably need to get something inside you at breakfast time, even if it's only half a slice of dry toast.  Of course, as you are already on medication, you should speak to your doctor first, just in case of possible clashing effects.

It may take a bit of time, but I hope some of these suggestions might help.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I like the response by felinia and agree on the terms. we should not worry much and put us in more trouble. A proverb in our language, "when we fall in love or do something odd like this, we feel everyone in the world is looking us but in reality noteven the crow looks us smile ". the rhyming will be good in native language.

Well Lulalula. First think i would ask is

1. Are you diagnosed for anything ? if not why ?

2. Are you doing any self medication ? if yes please avoid, without knowing the problem it is not recommended. discuss with Dr. first.

3. what are your intake's, skipping food and stress would only increase the problem you have. especially on acid reflux.

I think i can help you, I will comment back seeing your response.

• Posted

You should discuss your IBS with your manager so adjustments can be made for you and also discuss your condition with the guy you are going out with and tell him about your bathroom concerns.  I am sure he will be very understanding.  If he is not, then he is not the person for you.  The same goes for your work.  If your boss is not sympathetic to your needs, a change of job would be better. Being open about IBS is the key to reducing your stress and symptoms. 

I have stress related IBS too and I am completely open about it if I am in a stressful situation which could set off symptoms.  I explained about my stress levels in the dentist and my concern that it could cause a flare up and adjustments have been made for me including having one appointment a year instead of two and having plenty of pain medication if I am going to need treatment. The stress of hiding your condition will make it worse.

Maybe going part time at work would ease the tension.  I don't think a doctor could really help.  They will only medicate you more rather than giving you practical help.  Rescheduling your life around IBS would be worth considering if it reduces your anxiety.  

If you are on an antispasmodic, try taking it before you get into a situation that you know will be stressful for you.  They are known to work better this way.  Sometimes, I completely avoid a situation if I know it will trigger IBS.

• Posted

Hi

After a bout of semonella my bowels have never been the same.

I think I have pi ibs d - I don't really have diarrea more so loose stools that don't form into

One large piece. Most of the time they float.

I honestly think my nerves - also have depesssion are making it worse. It's a vicious cycle.

It's awful when you need to go quickly - can I ask do you have diarrea everyday or constipation as well?

Has your doctor confirmed you have ibs?

Stay off lactose or even wheat can irritate - see the fodmap diet it may help.

Re your boyfriend - if he loves you he will

Stand by you. Be honest and you never know he may similar symptoms - after all there's more people than you know have it.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.