Ibs noises

Posted , 7 users are following.

just wondering if anyone knows if this ibs or not for a little while now sometimes when taking a deep breath i will get a weird noise under my left ribcage and can feel it as well its almost a frog croaking its weird to explain and it sometimes can be felt in the stomach just wanted to know if i should be worried and tell my doctor

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

that sounds more like a wheezing problem than IBS. If your breathing is causing noises you need to get that seen by a doctor

• Posted

yeah it does not really sound like wheezing but ill mention it when i next go its not there all the time it comes and goes

• Posted

Are you sure it's not due to the movement of a bubble of gas in your colon? The transverse colon (horizontal bit) lies immediately under the ribcage. It's common for IBS sufferers to have a lot of gas and it can make all sorts of odd noises as it moves around. You can also feel the movement of these gas pockets.

I often feel movement of gas at the two angles of my colon, at each end of the horizontal part, but the sensation tends to present just under my ribcage at the back, towards one side or the other.

• Posted

maybe thats it i mean they did say on the scan about my colon being full maybe i do suffer a lot with gas just didnt know it settled under the rib cage ill still mention just in case

• Posted

update asked doctor and played recording they think its nothing to do with lungs but more with bowels ive noticed it sometimes goes if i make myself burp

• Posted

This doesn't sound like IBS. While you shouldn't worry, you should see your doctor. It sounds more like a chest infection since your breathing is noisy. Do you experience any other symptoms like a barking, sore cough and blocked, runny nose which are common to a chest infections?

• Posted

no dont have a cough or any kind of symptoms like that i mean i have asthma but it does not sound anything like wheezing the noise just comes directly from under the rib cage

• Posted

I would ask your doctor about this symptom to rule out anything asthma related and to check if your transverse colon could be getting trapped gas.

• Posted

Actually Pippa, regardless of what might be going on in this case, everyone gets trapped gas in their transverse colon from time to time, regardless of whether or not they have IBS or other intestinal disorders. It just happens to be the prime spot for trapping gas in the whole of the gut. Look at an anatomical diagram whilst bearing in mind that gas has a natural tendency to rise, and you'll see why. It's just that some of us notice it more than others.

I certainly notice it. I'm often woken in the night by pain caused by gas trapped in the splenic flexure - that's the left-hand "corner" of the transverse colon, which is its highest point. If I wriggle around enough I can feel the gurgling sensation as it finally moves on. During the day, this sensation can even present as the external feeling of someone tickling or grabbing at my left side. I've had this since childhood. It's occasionally resulted in some embarrassing near-misses, where I turned and glared at someone standing or sitting next to me on public transport before realising my mistake!

• Posted

I don't get the symptoms you mention. While I do get a lot of flatulence, it comes out quite loudly and easily. I rarely get trapped gas symptoms. When I do, I get a short burst of abdominal pain and then a huge explosion of wind but nothing more than that

• Posted

yeah im going next week so i will ask about it i did visit a respiratory clinic the other week and everything was ok then so hopefully everything is ok and its just my ibs

• Posted

i tend to have a lot of trapped wind can always feel it bubbling and passing wind is never easy however i dont get much pain with it hopefully its just my ibs ive taken a recording if the noise as it comes and goes so i can show the doctor

• Posted

i'd contact your doctors, rumbling bowels would be lower down.

• Posted

Sam, check out any reliable anatomy site, and you'll see the transverse colon is very high up in the abdomen, sitting immediately under the stomach. Part of it is actually inside the ribcage. This part of the colon is also a common site for gas to get trapped. This is just physics. Gas rises easily and naturally up the ascending colon (on the right of the abdomen) then tends to get trapped at the left end of the transverse colon, while waiting for peristalsis to kick in and force it down the descending colon to its eventual exit.

Rumbling can be felt and heard anywhere in the abdomen. I can assure you that I'm frequently aware of gas moving immediately under my ribs. I was woken several times during last night by painfully trapped gas in my left side, just under my ribs. On each occasion, I eventually felt it move on, and was able to get back to sleep.

• Posted

im assuming its wind but dont know for sure im still really constipated had to just take a suppository again could life that be it

• Posted

I alternate between diarrhoea and long periods of constipation but still have severe wind whichever phase I'm in.

I know this is all very upsetting, but worrying about every small symptom is going to make things much worse.

I can't remember whether you said you'd had full medical tests or not, but if you haven't then this should be the first thing to do. If you have had all the tests and they were negative, then you just need to follow your doctor's instructions as to how to relieve the symptoms.

• Posted

thanks yeah i had a ct scan done its kind of a learning thing at the moment its all so new so im just trying to stay calm and not stress which is hard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.