IBS or Colitis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just received my results back from my colonoscopy and I am confused about what it says. (maybe someone might be able to help) I was first diagnosed with colitis from a CT scan that was done and I saw a GI doctor and was later diagnosed with IBS-M. I had a colonoscopy done and they found internal hemorrhoids on my rectum and 2 polyps were removed. Polyps came out good but on part of my diagnostic report it says "fragment of mucosa showing no significant abnormality. negative for active colitis"...my question is, does that mean i have no colitis or does it mean that i have colitis but its currently in remission? I have to call my dr to schedule a follow up but was confused and maybe someone can help me out until my next appt.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess

I understand how you might feel a bit lost, sounds like quite a confusing report and I think I'd struggle to understand what it actually meant. Personally I would wait until you see your regular doctor for confirmation, get them to spell it out for you so you fully understand. I'm surprised colon biopsies were not taken during your colonoscopy, it's usually the best and most accurate method of diagnosing colitis. To me the report sounds actually rather pleasing though, but then again I'm no doctor, and how they word things baffles me.

Sorry, I know that's not much help to you, all the best.

• Posted

A CT scan is only ever going to be a half-way route to a diagnosis. IBS-M (mixed) means Irritable Bowel Syndrome which veers between diarrhea and constipation.

The mucosa is the membrane which lines the colon. It sounds like they biopsied mucosa cells taken during the colonoscopy and found no inflammation which is essentially what colitis is .

When active IBD (ulcerative colitis) will cause very frequen, sometimes uncontrollable, loose bowel movements with bleeding as well as overwhelming fatigue. Blood tests for ESR and CR-P and faecal sample tests for cal-protein will also show inflammatory markers for colitis so you might ask your doctor for those if you want some added reassurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.