IBS or colon cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 57 years old and have had issues with  constipation  for most of my life. Recently I have been having a dull crampy feeling in my lower abdomen. This time it has lasted about 4or 5 days. It isn’t constant but frequent. I don’t have insurance so I can’t have a colonoscopy done. I don’t think I have blood in my stool - it isn’t black or tarry. I’m so afraid of having cancer. I haven’t had a loss of appetite or weight loss. But I am very stressed out about the dull cramping. It’s all I can think about and sometimes I think I make myself worse by worrying. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

IBS is a possibility.  However, I would try to get health insurance to get tests done such as a colonoscopy to put your mind at rest and rule causes in or out.
  • Posted

Hi, IBS can give a range of gut issue's, you could easily have persistent cramping, constipation, diarrhoea, I reckon basically anything seems possible with IBS, but IBS is not cancer, and what I understand will not lead to cancer, try not to worry it's cancer.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I am scheduling a doctors appt this week just for peace of mind. I haven't been diagnosed with iBS just been reading about it. Reading stuff online is really a bad idea but I can't help it. Just super nervous. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.