ibs or gallbladder or both

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with stomach cramps, excessive wind, very smelly stools and wind. Some times I have diarrhea. I know I can't dairy products, onions etc.

At the moment  I get a pain under the right rib, pain at times across my stomach. Tummy rumbles, terrible hot smelling wind.

Any ideas......

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve

you really need to go to your doctor to ascertain exactly what the problem is, it sounds also like diverticulosis, get it checked out...you won't know until you ask.

• Posted

You might have a low grade infection of intestinal bugs that create those side effects.  One thing you can try is a daily quality probiotic with enteric coating so it can disolve in your intestine and not in the stomach where the probiotic organisms are mostly destroyed in the acid. The doctor also suggested fermented live foods, like kimchi, yogurt, kombucha fermented tea, etc. If you have taken antibiotics, an imbalence in the intestinal germs can arise; it can also be a problem if you regularly eat high carb foods or lots of meat.  Can you tolerate beans, lentils, green veggies, fruit? I get very windy from some beans and onions so I have to be careful to choose those that are not irritating, but I eat small quantities of meat.  The symptoms you are describing happen if I eat stewed pork.  I had my GB out two months ago and recently,  I had rotten pain for two days the last time I ate a stew made of pork, black beans, collards and chopped pickled veggies.  I thought the vegetables would reduce the influence of the pork but they were not enough. After an ultrasound the doctor said I might be producing more acid than the slow trickle of gall can cancel out. He suggested I take an acid reducing medicine, over the counter.  I hope you can find a diet that lets you feel better, I would also guess you get very tired and maybe need more naps after eating as well.  With the pain you describe, its important to see the doctor also, just to be checked. As mentioned before, the gall bladder can become infected and burst, like an apendix, or get a hole eaten in it, then it becomes a dangerous abdominal infection and the gall leaks out and because it is alkaline, starts disolving your internal organs.  Additionally, the liver and pancreas can have gall back up into them and start to rot or die and that can be fatal or require a liver transplant.  I hope you do not have gall bladder disease and a bit of diet change will help you but if not, there is plenty a doctor can do to restore you to functional health. Best of health to you!
    • Posted

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have been on holiday  to Egypt, been back three weeks, perhaps I have a small bug in my stomach 
  • Posted

Hi Steve

Ah, didn't know you had been to Egypt. Three people I know who went to Egypt at differing times all came back complaining of something, and two went on a boat trip up the Nile.

Just to put a balance on the glalblader thing, I have had a 13 mm gallstone for about five years now and it deos not really trouble me. There is a school of thought in the medical profession, that if it does not bother you then it is ok to leave well alone. I don't know how old you are, I am 60, but as you get older your body cannot tolerate stuff like it did when you were young. A good example is the length of time it takes to get over a 'good night out'.

You have to get the right Ph balance in your body so after sorting things with your doc take a good probiotic such as Acidophiulus capsules, as recent reports of these probiotic drinks show they do not do the job. Symprove is a fantastic probiotic abd recimmended by many who take it. Good luck and hope yoru gippy tummy is sorted soon.

• Posted

Hi. I am almost 44. I have to say that my holiday diet was poor, I would never eat like that in the UK. Far to much fast food, milk, basically everything I shouldn't I did, fizzy and alcohol. When I returned home I was bad eater as well. For the last few days I have behaved and this morning I produced a lovely looking stool😊. Less pain too. I need to eat very planly and behave.
  • Posted

Remember to drink plenty of water Steve, filtered if possible as water is acidic. I know all about consistency and size, as I have diverticulosis too.

A way to tell if you have gallstones is obviosuly the pain under your right rib, but the colour of stools changes to pale cardboard, it is said darkish cardboard colour is the best! Stick a colour hcart on your loo wall! no only joking.

Plenty of green vegetables, not so many cruciferous as they cause wind and keep dairy low until you are sorted. Introduce things back into your diet slowly and keep a food diary. I'm sure you will be fine and it is a holiday thing. Not saying that the food is bad but a change of diet is not a good thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.